U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,481,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Also, looking at this is quite concerning. Wifey went to Xavier University in New Orleans for Pharmacy and the are well known for their Pharmacy program. She came out with tons of offers and a 6 figure salary. So that *30 yr ROI cant be right.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,146,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Also, looking at this is quite concerning. Wifey went to Xavier University in New Orleans for Pharmacy and the are well known for their Pharmacy program. She came out with tons of offers and a 6 figure salary. So that *30 yr ROI cant be right.....
From their methodology
Quote:
Bachelor’s Only: Only employees who possess a bachelor's degree and no higher degrees are included. This means bachelor’s graduates who go on to earn a master's degree, M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., or other advanced degree are not included.
Pharmacy is an advanced degree.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,553,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Do you think he would not have been successful at other schools?

I think talented, motivated people can be successful regardless of where they go, but their success is much more likely if they actually go to elite colleges and surround themselves by elite talent.
I've been noticing your comments and couldn't help but ask, didn't you say that you work in the AUC?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,619,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I've been noticing your comments and couldn't help but ask, didn't you say that you work in the AUC?
I did several years ago. I still have a pretty good pulse on the place through the contacts with whom I've kept in touch.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM

20 posts, read 14,687 times
Just for grins and giggles:
~ the graduation rate for first-time, full time students enrolled in four-year institutions is about 54 percent and less than a quarter of part-time students graduate.

~ in a 29 Oct '12 article [ The Persisting Racial Gap in College Graduation Rates : The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education ]

New data compiled by the National Collegiate Athletic Association shows a graduation rate of 44 percent for all Black students who entered college from 2002 to 2005 and earned their bachelor’s degree within six years at the same institution. For Whites at these institutions the graduation rate was 21 points higher at 65 percent. Black women had a graduation rate of 48 percent compared to 38 percent for Black men.

Black student athletes had a graduation rate of 65 percent. This was still 20 percentage points below the rate for White student athletes. In many cases, student athletes have a high graduation rate than other students due to the fact that because of athletic scholarships student athletes are able to remain in college without have to worry about paying bills for tuition and room and board.

Over the past 20 years, Black students have shown steady increases in overall college graduation rates. But the racial gap between Whites and Blacks has remained relatively constant.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I did several years ago. I still have a pretty good pulse on the place through the contacts with whom I've kept in touch.
What did you do to help improve the conditions that you mention when you worked at the AUC?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
What did you do to help improve the conditions that you mention when you worked at the AUC?
What did I do to attract quality students and convince them that they should pay $30,000+ for an education that they could get for 25% that cost 3 miles to the east? That wasn't my role.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
What did I do to attract quality students and convince them that they should pay $30,000+ for an education that they could get for 25% that cost 3 miles to the east? That wasn't my role.
So are saying that no private school is worth it? Or just this particular collection of private schools are not worth the money? Is the return on investment exceedingly higher at an Emory or Agnes Scott?

What was your role? I'm not being facetious. Just asking...

Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
What was your role? I'm not being facetious. Just asking...
Educator.

I'll leave it at that.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Wow, that was a quick reply. Check the edited version above ^^^

(Nevermind, here it is...)

"So are you saying that no private school is worth it? Or just this particular collection of private schools are not worth the money? Is the return on investment exceedingly higher at an Emory or Agnes Scott?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or