U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:44 PM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
HBCU graduates, and Black graduates in general, often don't come from wealthy families unlike graduates from the Seven Sisters schools. They (we) typically make less than White college graduates, have more to pay back in student loans, and are more likely to provide financial assistance to other family members.
This is true in regards to why HBCU graduates and black graduates usually do not support their alma maters like whites do. I will plainly state that there are racial barriers in employment to this day for black Americans and even when we are highly educated at mainstream colleges we, on average, are paid less money in our careers than white graduates. That combined with the history of economic oppression (in regards to us being from poorer backgrounds) makes it much more difficult for us to support our institutions to the degree that some other schools receive from their alumni base. That said, many black graduates of HBCUs support their alma mater. I give to the "giving campaign" every year for my AUC school and many of the people I graduated with do as well. However, I did not give until rather recently when we were on much more stable financial ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Morehouse has been going downhill. The question is this: Why?

As a side note, I've never visited Morehouse (and I live in metro Atlanta).
The "why" has to do with leadership.

Morehouse is a storied institution that still has a decent reputation for black Americans. Any woes they are having are more than likely related to their leaders like most colleges/universities who struggle.

However, I will note that I am an AUC grad and I get internet garbage mail messages all the time about HBCUs and most of them as of late were speaking about how enrollment is up at HBCUs due to the racial issues that have been in the news at mainstream colleges. I personally always tell those "kids" who complain about not having a "safe space" as a black student that they should go to an HBCU then the whole campus will be a "safe space."

Quote:
Huh?????
I also don't get the reference to "liberal" donors lol.

I do know that Oprah and the Cosby's are/have been huge donors to Morehouse and Spelman. I also recently got a message that Charles Barkley is giving CAU $1 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:40 PM

41 posts, read 19,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Wow. Hasn't somebody been saying this is for years on here to the disbelieving masses? Morehouse is in trouble. They are already scheduling furloughs for their employees. This just goes back to the point I've made multiple times on here: Who wants to spend $35,000 to go to mediocre school that caters to students with 1000 SAT scores? I get spending $35,000 to go to Yale or Stanford, but Morehouse... yeaaaaahhhhhhh
I did and I would do it again and again. The experience I had at a HBCU school could never be replaced. I don't need a hardboard or a Yale to be successful.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:37 PM

1,686 posts, read 859,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I do know that Oprah and the Cosby's are/have been huge donors to Morehouse and Spelman. I also recently got a message that Charles Barkley is giving CAU $1 million.
I'm sure CAU appreciates that, but for a private school, that's a drop in the bucket. Private schools need a lot more money. I've heard that over the next 20 or so years, about 1/3 to 1/2 of schools will fail.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:28 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I'm sure CAU appreciates that, but for a private school, that's a drop in the bucket. Private schools need a lot more money. I've heard that over the next 20 or so years, about 1/3 to 1/2 of schools will fail.
$1 million is a lot of money to a small school like CAU. Also, I get updates from CAU itself since I am an alum. CAU has a new president who is focused on improving the university and there has been some positive strides there of late. The alumni organization also has goals for bringing more alumni into the mix as donors to CAU and there have been increases in donations as a result. I do think the leadership change there was a good one. I'm not as "into" what is going on at Morehouse, but I do know they have a lot of financial support from black celebrities.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 AM

6,370 posts, read 4,522,982 times
Quote:
Huh?????
Dont worry Mutiny wouldnt understand what I am seeing.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is true in regards to why HBCU graduates and black graduates usually do not support their alma maters like whites do. I will plainly state that there are racial barriers in employment to this day for black Americans and even when we are highly educated at mainstream colleges we, on average, are paid less money in our careers than white graduates. That combined with the history of economic oppression (in regards to us being from poorer backgrounds) makes it much more difficult for us to support our institutions to the degree that some other schools receive from their alumni base. That said, many black graduates of HBCUs support their alma mater. I give to the "giving campaign" every year for my AUC school and many of the people I graduated with do as well. However, I did not give until rather recently when we were on much more stable financial ground.

The "why" has to do with leadership.

Morehouse is a storied institution that still has a decent reputation for black Americans. Any woes they are having are more than likely related to their leaders like most colleges/universities who struggle.

However, I will note that I am an AUC grad and I get internet garbage mail messages all the time about HBCUs and most of them as of late were speaking about how enrollment is up at HBCUs due to the racial issues that have been in the news at mainstream colleges. I personally always tell those "kids" who complain about not having a "safe space" as a black student that they should go to an HBCU then the whole campus will be a "safe space."

Yes Barkley did a great thing and many blacks call him Uncle Tom and sell out. When I say liberals im not referring to blacks, but if you are confused just leave it be. It may come to you. I try to support HBCUs locally, by attending a few events here and there. I attend the Celebration Bowls and Atlanta Classics all the time. As Black as Atlanta is its always surprising to see the empty seats at those games in this city. Its great what Charles did and Im glad he chose Clark and ASU.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,114,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Yes Barkley did a great thing and many blacks call him Uncle Tom and sell out. When I say liberals im not referring to blacks, but if you are confused just leave it be. It may come to you. I try to support HBCUs locally, by attending a few events here and there. I attend the Celebration Bowls and Atlanta Classics all the time. As Black as Atlanta is its always surprising to see the empty seats at those games in this city. Its great what Charles did and Im glad he chose Clark and ASU.
Just say donors

"liberals donors" is basically a phrase that gain traction by the far right this election season. They will inaccurately attach the phrase "liberal" to any thing they disagree with as if liberal is a bad word or it even make sense at all to what they are applying it to.

So the question becomes what makes the donation liberal? and how in the world does this even has anything to do with politics at all. Nothing, not everything has something to do with politics.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Just say donors

"liberals donors" is basically a phrase that gain traction by the far right this election season. They will inaccurately attach the phrase "liberal" to any thing they disagree with as if liberal is a bad word or it even make sense at all to what they are applying it to.

So the question becomes what makes the donation liberal? and how in the world does this even has anything to do with politics at all. Nothing, not everything has something to do with politics.
Im not explaining man. It just leads to a fight. I support the AUC.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 AM

27,723 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Dont worry Mutiny wouldnt understand what I am seeing.
Nobody understands what you're seeing.

Did you graduate from an HBCU, or any university at all for that matter? Genuine question.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Nobody understands what you're seeing.

Did you graduate from an HBCU, or any university at all for that matter? Genuine question.
Yes and green marine understood me quite well Mutiny. You wont, we are too different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or