U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I've said before that there is a small portion of the school who takes this seriously and lives up to the reputation of what this means. However, a majority of the students don't live up to this. This is what happens when financial concerns lead to admitting students solely on the school's need to raise revenue to pay the bills.
I think it is important to point out that GTcorndog really has no clue what he is talking about in regards to what the "majority of the students" do at Morehouse since he is not and has never attended a single class at Morehouse.

I do, however, welcome any and all knowledgeable opinions from those who have actually attended and even GRADUATED from this respectable and high quality institution.

and for what it's worth: I am a graduate of Morehouse College as well as an attorney. I can't begin to list the number of fellow lawyers, judges, and even politicians who have come from that school and still would recommend any young black male to attend (myself included).
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,613,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderOne View Post
I think it is important to point out that GTcorndog really has no clue what he is talking about in regards to what the "majority of the students" do at Morehouse since he is not and has never attended a single class at Morehouse.

I do, however, welcome any and all knowledgeable opinions from those who have actually attended and even GRADUATED from this respectable and high quality institution.

and for what it's worth: I am a graduate of Morehouse College as well as an attorney. I can't begin to list the number of fellow lawyers, judges, and even politicians who have come from that school and still would recommend any young black male to attend (myself included).
That is a cute little success story. However the overall numbers support my claims and your anecdotal 'I know lawyers' rebuttals provide littler proof of anything outside what I have already said.

What top colleges are having trouble these days with applicants? Certainly the elite ones aren't missing their targets like this.

I guess some people need to spend $35,000 a year in tuition to have their hands held at a mediocre at best college, but obviously this isn't very appealing these days as the luster of Morehouse is fading quickly.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,395,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
So the "Morhouse Man" doesn't exist? White people will never understand.
And this is why you simply dont bother arguing with them on this subject. I knew before I even clicked this thread who was in here responding. The funny part is black colleges still produce more black professionals than white schools do yet people like gtcorny will never understand that. I guess he also missed where nearly every other university in the city has decreased enrollment but of course, he had to take his old and tired stabs at the AUC as always. I swear I would love to see if people like him would be as vocal about this subject in person but my guess is no.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:24 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,976,542 times
The Morehouse legacy in molding Black students into leaders is well known. The school is the alma mater of Martin Luther King Jr., Julian Bond, Maynard Jackson and Spike Lee, to name a few. The school’s Web site boasts that its mission “is to develop men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership and service. … Morehouse is an academic community dedicated to teaching, scholarship, and service, and the continuing search for truth as a liberating force. … The College seeks students who are willing to carry the torch of excellence and who are willing to pay the price of gaining strength and confidence by confronting adversity, mastering their fears, and achieving success by earning it.”

Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 AM

7,711 posts, read 9,549,562 times
Quote:
The College seeks students who are willing to carry the torch of excellence and who are willing to pay the price of gaining strength and confidence by confronting adversity, mastering their fears, and achieving success by earning it.
This isn't a stab at Morehouse, just a question....

Seems like the school has a pretty lofty goal of the kind of person it wants to attract. It was said earlier that Morehouse looks beyond academic achievement to find the kind of students that it wants and that is why it accepts students with low test scores.

My question is, how does Morehouse select for these kind of people? Is there a lengthy interview process involved to gain admission? Does the application require an extensive essay? Are multiple personal recommendations required to attend?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Quote:
Wow. Hasn't somebody been saying this is for years on here to the disbelieving masses? Morehouse is in trouble. They are already scheduling furloughs for their employees. This just goes back to the point I've made multiple times on here: Who wants to spend $35,000 to go to mediocre school that caters to students with 1000 SAT scores? I get spending $35,000 to go to Yale or Stanford, but Morehouse... yeaaaaahhhhhhh
Did you go to Yale or Stanford?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Quote:
That is a cute little success story. However the overall numbers support my claims and your anecdotal 'I know lawyers' rebuttals provide littler proof of anything outside what I have already said.

What top colleges are having trouble these days with applicants? Certainly the elite ones aren't missing their targets like this.

I guess some people need to spend $35,000 a year in tuition to have their hands held at a mediocre at best college, but obviously this isn't very appealing these days as the luster of Morehouse is fading quickly.
My father is Vice President at a state university.He has been up at night because the state of Georgia is cutting from budget.He has to cut 3.2 million from his budget.He has to fire so many people from the university just before the holiday season.So Morehouse is NOT the only school experiencing the drop in enrollment and budget cuts.
University of Georgia … 34,385 … 34,636 … -.7%
Valdosta … 12,465 … 13,056 … -4.5%
Fort Valley … 3,541 … 3,949 … -10.3%
Georgia College & State … 6,459 … 6,634 … -2.6%
Georgia Southwestern … 3,013 … 3,095 … -2.6%
Savannah … 4,512 … 4,541 … -.6%
Abraham Baldwin … 3,235 … 3,255 … -.6%
Atlanta Metropolitan … 2,339 … 2,499 … -6.4%
Coastal Georgia … 3,160 … 3,465 … -8.8%
Dalton … 5,036 … 5,506 … -8.5%
East Georgia … 3,131 … 3,549 … -12.9%
Georgia Highlands … 5,519 … 5,531 … -.2%
Georgia Perimeter … 21,908 … 25,204 … -13.1%
Gordon … 4,173 … 4,677 … -10.8%
Middle Georgia … 3,112 … 3,422 … -9.1%
South Georgia … 2,221 … 2,270 … -2.2%
Bainbridge … 3,021 … 3,544 … -14.8%

If schools would be more concerned about actually educating and uplifting,then SATs would not matter. At the end of the day if your goal is just to make a lot of money instead of improving your whole being to be the best you can be , and improving the community by adding value to it,then who are you to talk about those who do?.Everything is not for everybody.I dont have to question other peoples decisions about what they choose to do.I believe that most of us have enough sense to do what we need to do to have a fulfilling life.

You however seem to do this all the time.Judging,criticizing and complaining.You did the same in the other thread about people choosing to live in an area that is less than ideal.As if your approach to life and whats important is the standard then you are just the type of person that needs to be at Morehouse.

You really need to stop it with the exaggerations.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,117,786 times
The best post I've read in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
My father is Vice President at a state university.He has been up at night because the state of Georgia is cutting from budget.He has to cut 3.2 million from his budget.He has to fire so many people from the university just before the holiday season.So Morehouse is NOT the only school experiencing the drop in enrollment and budget cuts.
University of Georgia … 34,385 … 34,636 … -.7%
Valdosta … 12,465 … 13,056 … -4.5%
Fort Valley … 3,541 … 3,949 … -10.3%
Georgia College & State … 6,459 … 6,634 … -2.6%
Georgia Southwestern … 3,013 … 3,095 … -2.6%
Savannah … 4,512 … 4,541 … -.6%
Abraham Baldwin … 3,235 … 3,255 … -.6%
Atlanta Metropolitan … 2,339 … 2,499 … -6.4%
Coastal Georgia … 3,160 … 3,465 … -8.8%
Dalton … 5,036 … 5,506 … -8.5%
East Georgia … 3,131 … 3,549 … -12.9%
Georgia Highlands … 5,519 … 5,531 … -.2%
Georgia Perimeter … 21,908 … 25,204 … -13.1%
Gordon … 4,173 … 4,677 … -10.8%
Middle Georgia … 3,112 … 3,422 … -9.1%
South Georgia … 2,221 … 2,270 … -2.2%
Bainbridge … 3,021 … 3,544 … -14.8%

If schools would be more concerned about actually educating and uplifting,then SATs would not matter. At the end of the day if your goal is just to make a lot of money instead of improving your whole being to be the best you can be , and improving the community by adding value to it,then who are you to talk about those who do?.Everything is not for everybody.I dont have to question other peoples decisions about what they choose to do.I believe that most of us have enough sense to do what we need to do to have a fulfilling life.

You however seem to do this all the time.Judging,criticizing and complaining.You did the same in the other thread about people choosing to live in an area that is less than ideal.As if your approach to life and whats important is the standard then you are just the type of person that needs to be at Morehouse.

You really need to stop it with the exaggerations.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,125,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
The Morehouse legacy in molding Black students into leaders is well known. The school is the alma mater of Martin Luther King Jr., Julian Bond, Maynard Jackson and Spike Lee, to name a few. The school’s Web site boasts that its mission “is to develop men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership and service. … Morehouse is an academic community dedicated to teaching, scholarship, and service, and the continuing search for truth as a liberating force. … The College seeks students who are willing to carry the torch of excellence and who are willing to pay the price of gaining strength and confidence by confronting adversity, mastering their fears, and achieving success by earning it.”
But apparently...mostly the ability to pay.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 PM

28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
We have had this discussion many times before. Not every college bases itself on high SAT's or GPA's.

Morehouse is focused on creating an experience that shapes young folks lives, not simply on how well they perform.

Not to mention that a lot of life is about who you know and the connections you make! There are plenty of people working in high-paying and/or important jobs, not because they are smarter or more qualified or harder-working, but because they knew the right people. I don't know how many times I've heard people say something like, "Bob's okay, we were fraternity brothers" or "I can work this out with Smithers, we knew each other at Princeton."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or