U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Yall continue to argue with the troll lol..for what reason? You can state a million facts in here and it won't do any good.
Sad, but very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,112 times
I get the feeling some white posters get a superiority kick out of talking down HCBUs. The fact that they offer no real opinion or solution to whatever problem they are trying to say exists pretty much indicates it.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,390,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I get the feeling some white posters get a superiority kick out of talking down HCBUs. The fact that they offer no real opinion or solution to whatever problem they are trying to say exists pretty much indicates it.
Again, it's obvious. If I had made some of the statements made in here I would've been banned already...again. The dude is really nothing more than a race baiter..if you look at the history of his posts on topics like this there wouldn't even be any question about it. The only difference in this post is now he actually has someone to back his idiocy.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 PM

27,720 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
HBCUs were created when blacks weren't allowed to go to school with whites. That is not the case anymore. I'm not black, so I can't say. I am involved in higher education, and my opinion is that HBCUs do a disservice to the black community and students. I would much rather advocate diversity at Tech, GSU, Emory and UGA than focus on these sub-par institutions of higher education. With the exception of Spelman, I really don't think HBCUs are a good idea. I also feel like it's an inherently racist construct. Without turning this into a PWI vs HBCU argument, I feel like students who enter the workforce from Morehouse or Clarke would be more likely to work with other blacks instead of tapping the entier workforce.

Race is becoming troublesome. We live in a new era.
I'm pretty sure you don't feel the same way about all-female or Christian institutions of higher learning, but to appear consistent in your logic, you'll say you do.

And to imply that Spelman is the only HBCU in the nation that's a good school is pretty ignorant on your part. Some have their issues for sure, but the implication that they are all in the same boat is ludicrous.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,610,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Again, it's obvious. If I had made some of the statements made in here I would've been banned already...again. The dude is really nothing more than a race baiter..if you look at the history of his posts on topics like this there wouldn't even be any question about it. The only difference in this post is now he actually has someone to back his idiocy.
There is no need to make such baseless accusations. Feel free to come with facts and maybe people will take you seriously. My points have all been validated with facts. Heck, I've said Morehouse has financial issues for a year before this report came out. Just because you don't like the facts it doesn't mean that you have to run and hide behind your default "that guy is racist" defense.

If you want to have a discussion, tell me what I've said that you take offense with and I'll explain it again for you. Open your mind and look at facts.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
To summarize:

I give facts:
- Graduation Rate
- Declining attendance
- Starting Salary
- Mid-career Salary

You give opinions:
- You stated that a list of alumni from 30+ years ago is an accurate reflection of where the college stands today.
- You met some lawyers from Morehouse that one time and you thought "wow, that school is great."
How is it not a fact that someone graduated from an institution?Georgia Tech did not teach you what a fact vs opinion is?
Dude I gave you personal references of people in my family and friends that I know professionally and personally.Whether you believe it or not I could care less,but

So your :
-graduation rate
-Declining attendance
-starting salaries
-Mid career salary
Should have also included those numbers for BLACKS that go to PWI's.Numbers for blacks are much lower than whites
You did not do that because YOU know it would show how unbalanced and how irrelevant your numbers are.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 AM

20 posts, read 14,664 times
GTCornDog

Is that a comparison of African American grads from both schools or is it all Ga State grads vs Morehouse grads? The former being a scientifically valid comparison, the latter, not anywhere nearly so much so.

RE:
Average starting pay Morehouse: $44,200
Average starting pay Georgia State: $41,200

Average mid career pay Morehouse: $70,800
Average mid career pay Georgia State: $73,200

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM

dichloromethane:

Based on your gut feeling or real word facts?

I doubt you can factually support this claim.

For that to be so, the number of AA owned and operated employers in this country would have to increase very, very exponentially!

RE: I feel like students who enter the workforce from Morehouse or Clarke would be more likely to work with other blacks instead of tapping the entier workforce.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM

And, once again, Morehouse is one of the leading feeder schools producing African American college grads who go on to grad school at the Ivys, Standford, MIT, etc as well as the top five schools (HBCU or PWC) for producing African American's who attend medical and dental schools remain: Xavier (New Orleans), Spelman, Morehouse, Howard and Hampton . . .

Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,610,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsmct View Post
GTCornDog

Is that a comparison of African American grads from both schools or is it all Ga State grads vs Morehouse grads? The former being a scientifically valid comparison, the latter, not anywhere nearly so much so.

RE:
Average starting pay Morehouse: $44,200
Average starting pay Georgia State: $41,200

Average mid career pay Morehouse: $70,800
Average mid career pay Georgia State: $73,200
Are you making the case that Blacks can't succeed in life like other minorities and non-minorities? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or