U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
 
20 posts, read 14,682 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Mi amigo: reading really IS fundamental . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM
 
20 posts, read 14,682 times
Reputation: 19
I have made no excuses because I have clearly earned everything I have achieved. I'm simply pointing out that irrational disparities continue to, in too many instances, exist. It's why I continue to state: America suceeds "in spite of", not "because of" itself! . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,618,301 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsmct View Post
a. Apples and oranges mi amigo, apples and oranges!
b. Then please rationally and factually explain the disparity in unemployment, pay.

Classic example: I have a co-worker who was hired w/ absolutely zero experience in our field while I was hired w/ over 15 yrs experience. The time he was hired, I was turned down for an interview and had to apply 2 more times before I finally got an interview and hired. Subsequently had two (2) other co-workers hired w/ little or no experience in our field but 100% of my AA co-workers had to have extensive experience to get hired.

RE "And there are cases where an African American doesn't have to be as qualified, experienced, or close to equally professionally to other non-minorities to get a job. Look at college admissions..."
Well champ, who can refute that "This one time I feel I was discriminated against..." story. Your one perceived injustice is clearly indicative that this is true 100% of the time. Perhaps you weren't hired immediately because of your complete lack of logic. Hell, your ability to write leaves much to be desired. What exactly do you do for a living? I hope it doesn't require writing or reasoning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,898,955 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What?

Who is saying anyone is taking up anyone's slots? I just want the slots to go to the most qualified. Stop trying to infer something that isn't there.

You are the one who took the conversation down this path of race baiting. I guess when all else fails, lets try to throw the race card down and ignore facts and figures.
Did you really go to GaTech?Because.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,618,301 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Did you really go to GaTech?Because.............
Again, you can't discuss facts and form a reasonable argument, so you resort to this simple minded drivel.

So back to the original post, Morehouse is in financial trouble because they can't convince enough people to matriculate there. Apparently people no longer view the institution as worth the $35,000 per year to leach on to the Morehouse Man mystique. That mystique used to mean something, but has been watered down by years of students who don't live up to the standard set years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
 
20 posts, read 14,682 times
Reputation: 19
Bottomline: the AUC is a very viable, realistic educational option open to ALL with not the slightest record of ever discriminating in admissions nor attendance and continues to be so. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,618,301 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsmct View Post
Bottomline: the AUC is a very viable, realistic educational option open to ALL with not the slightest record of ever discriminating in admissions nor attendance and continues to be so. . .
That too is true. I never said anything contrary to this. However, the 'viable option' is threatened by the high cost of attendance and the low return on investment offered by the school's degrees. Morehouse needs to be careful not to admit more students just to increase revenues. This will only hasten the decline in student quality and I believe it will pull the school into a death spiral that would be difficult to pull out of. Morehouse desperately needs to find a way to cut costs and make the school more attractive to students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM
 
20 posts, read 14,682 times
Reputation: 19
And, as one who received his military commission via GA Tech (aka North Avenie Trade School), it is truly sad and pathetic that, when confronted with logic and facts, you can only come back with taunts and insults.

True Ga Tech Yellow Jackets are above such!

Morehouse and other private and public institutions are all suffering due to the current state of economics in this country. Morehouse and the other AUC member institutions are not in any way, shape, form nor fashion lacking for qualified applicants.

Many of your comments reek of jealousy and lack supportable logic.

Did an AUC Dual Degree student run circles around you in an Engineering class (or classes) and this is your method of retort? . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,618,301 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsmct View Post
And, as one who received his military commission via GA Tech (aka North Avenie Trade School), it is truly sad and pathetic that, when confronted with logic and facts, you can only come back with taunts and insults.

True Ga Tech Yellow Jackets are above such!

Morehouse and other private and public institutions are all suffering due to the current state of economics in this country. Morehouse and the other AUC member institutions are not in any way, shape, form nor fashion lacking for qualified applicants.

Many of your comments reek of jealousy and lack supportable logic.

Did an AUC Dual Degree student run circles around you in an Engineering class (or classes) and this is your method of retort? . . .
I never saw a Dual Degree student in any of my engineering classes, so I couldn't talk about their quality or ability complete the work. Georgia Tech is an unforgiving place that doesn't reward mediocrity, so if they could graduate from the program, more power to them. I can't speak to this program however.

How can you say it isn't lacking for qualified applicants when the numbers and recent news stories completely contradict this? That is a fact, not an opinion.

Again, I have respect for what the school was and the great people in produced in the past, but the reputation that has created is not supported by what the school currently is. If that offends you, too bad.

I understand the want to defend your school and I would want to defend mine too. However, if my school was headed down a bad path, I would be the first to call it out and demand a change in leadership and a change in the course the school is on. I would not simply defend the failures. Don't accept mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,491,590 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I never saw a Dual Degree student in any of my engineering classes, so I couldn't talk about their quality or ability complete the work. Georgia Tech is an unforgiving place that doesn't reward mediocrity, so if they could graduate from the program, more power to them. I can't speak to this program however.

How can you say it isn't lacking for qualified applicants when the numbers and recent news stories completely contradict this? That is a fact, not an opinion.

Again, I have respect for what the school was and the great people in produced in the past, but the reputation that has created is not supported by what the school currently is. If that offends you, too bad.

I understand the want to defend your school and I would want to defend mine too. However, if my school was headed down a bad path, I would be the first to call it out and demand a change in leadership and a change in the course the school is on. I would not simply defend the failures. Don't accept mediocrity.

You still never addresses the fact that you base this on income levels when blacks across all education levels make less. This isn't about Morhouses graduates, it's just the state of race relations in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top