Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,336,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
They don't show the whole story? How do your stats do any better by lumping all races together.
I believe that all races are created equal and then when people apply themselves, they can succeed. Morehouse's paltry mid-career pay is not a function of some institutional racism, but is a function of Morehouse producing very mediocre graduates. Morehouse produces average graduates because they admit very average students (GPA, SAT, ACT, class rank, etc). It is beyond naive to believe that a small college hamstrung with poor facilities and a pending revenue crisis could enroll 18 year old students of average intelligence (as shown by their academic records) and magically transform them into anything beyond average graduates. Perhaps they can instill them with a desire for service or whatever vision statement fluff their website is touting, but input largely equals output.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,723,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Racially derisive language? Intimidating language? I've done no such thing.

I think the assumptions people have made as a result of my critical comments of a HBCU reflect more on the posters making assumptions than they do of me. I have been very complimentary of Spelman. You conveniently ignore that because it is obvious that you want to cling to the assumptions you've already made and are unable to see facts.

I keep trying to steer this conversation back on track, but you don't want to discuss this issues. Why not, son?
Thats what you accused me of."Race baiting".
First off im NOT your "son".You know that is derisive language as well as a word used to TRY and intimidate.Hence you are race baiting.Something plantation owners did to demean and belittle.

It was YOU who took it off topic when you attempted to put the AUC recent troubles as anything but what many (actually the majority) of higher institutions are going through.You were presented with facts to prove it.
Fact is I never disagreed with the facts you presented.Its how you only selected what you wanted but had the audacity to act like facts presented by others were lies or erroneous for no reason than YOU just did not want to accept them.
You seriously have a complex that you think you are some how smarter than everyone on here that thinks differently than you.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,079,498 times
I bet you won't hear gtcorndog say one negative thing about Georgia tech. You would think he graduated from Harvard or Stanford the way he talks down to people on these forums lmao.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I bet you won't hear gtcorndog say one negative thing about Georgia tech. You would think he graduated from Harvard or Stanford the way he talks down to people on these forums lmao.
Well, for my field of study GT is better than Harvard and Stanford.

I am objective and able to point out flaws as I've done on a wide variety of issues.

No need to make this personal. I'm sticking to the facts, son.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,876,631 times
Quote:
I believe that all races are created equal and then when people apply themselves, they can succeed. Morehouse's paltry mid-career pay is not a function of some institutional racism, but is a function of Morehouse producing very mediocre graduates. Morehouse produces average graduates because they admit very average students (GPA, SAT, ACT, class rank, etc). It is beyond naive to believe that a small college hamstrung with poor facilities and a pending revenue crisis could enroll 18 year old students of average intelligence (as shown by their academic records) and magically transform them into anything beyond average graduates. Perhaps they can instill them with a desire for service or whatever vision statement fluff their website is touting, but input largely equals output.

So let me get this straight. You are going to totally ignore the fact that blacks are paid less for equal qualification in the U.S. and try to compare a majority black schools lifetime income to a diverse or mostly white school? This has nothing to do with how equal you feel about races. The salaries of blacks don't reflect that is how society feels.

Do you not see a problem with that logic? Do you not sense any cognitive dissonance knowing that blacks on average are paid less for equal roles and qualifications by making this comparison between black schools and regular? Do think this static is a lie? Think about this.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,527,325 times
Quote:
Wow. Hasn't somebody been saying this is for years on here to the disbelieving masses? Morehouse is in trouble. They are already scheduling furloughs for their employees. This just goes back to the point I've made multiple times on here: Who wants to spend $35,000 to go to mediocre school that caters to students with 1000 SAT scores? I get spending $35,000 to go to Yale or Stanford, but Morehouse... yeaaaaahhhhhhh
lol

Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM

20 posts, read 19,236 times
1st of all, Morehouse has an excellent record of identifying students who come from backgrounds where their school systems may not have been up to par yet the student has the potential and ability to do well, given the proper nurturing and assistance. If taking a diamond in the rough and making it sparkle is a crime, then Morehouse and several other HBCUs are Guilty As Charged & dang proud of it! It's easy to only accept high test score/grade kids and brag about what they have supposedly "achieved". It's far grander and nobler, on the over all scale and scheme of things to do the former.

RE "they admit very average students (GPA, SAT, ACT, class rank, etc)."

Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM

a. It's not a case of "if", but a case of "when". I can speak to that program and it is a success. Why should or would The AUC waste good $$ starting and funding an Engineering program when the successful Dual Degree program is already in place?

b. What the numbers actually reflect is that a growing number of college applicants nor their parents can afford the cost of college, period. THAT is what is factual.

RE: "Georgia Tech is an unforgiving place that doesn't reward mediocrity, so if they could graduate from the program, more power to them. I can't speak to this program however.'

'How can you say it isn't lacking for qualified applicants when the numbers and recent news stories completely contradict this? That is a fact, not an opinion.'

Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsmct View Post
a. It's not a case of "if", but a case of "when". I can speak to that program and it is a success. Why should or would The AUC waste good $$ starting and funding an Engineering program when the successful Dual Degree program is already in place?
I have no clue what point you are attempting to make.

Quote:
b. What the numbers actually reflect is that a growing number of college applicants nor their parents can afford the cost of college, period. THAT is what is factual.
Yes, college costs are rising. However, college can still be done on a reasonable budget at good in-state schools. A lot of this falls to the individual to make good decisions. Deciding to go to a private school, spending $35,000 a year (largely on credit), graduating with massive debt and blaming the system is laughable. It isn't the system's fault you chose to go into massive debt when affordable in-state schools were available. Boo-hoo. You won't get any sympathy from me. I've graduated debt free with two degrees from prestigious in-state colleges. How? A combination of scholarships, working part-time and living frugally. It can be done.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Comparing Apples to Apples (tuition and fees @ Morehouse vs Out-of-State Tuition and Fees @ GA Tech, since the majority of Morehouse students are not GA residents), those same students wouldn't be able to afford to attend GA Tech, either. NOTE: Tuition/fees at Morehouse, contrary to your post, is not $35,000.

http://www.morehouse.edu/admissions/...2012-FINAL.pdf
$24,744/yr (tuition, mandatory fees)

http://www.bursar.gatech.edu/student...3-all_fees.pdf
$29,208/yr (tuition, mandatory fees, Out-of-State)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta