U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:04 PM

262 posts, read 522,796 times

Advertisements

I never had to pay water as a renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,783,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
I never had to pay water as a renter.

I didn't have to pay for water or gas when I lived in the 'burbs. Since moving to Atlanta proper I have had to pay for all utilities.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,525,302 times
It mostly depends whether you live in an older building that doesn't have individual meters or a newer building that does. Chicago, being an older city, has more older buildings that don't have individual meters. It varies from building to building; I've even had electric included in the rent before.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,395,411 times
I've had to pay all utilities in many places. I don't think that's an Atlanta thing.

Regarding free stuff in ATL, if you can get out to the new Beltline and Piedmont Park right now, I recommend it. The weather is great, and is making me think twice about moving away! The city should forget about trains and revitalizing downtown and just put more money into projects like that. When I visit NYC now, the last thing I want to do is take the subway or go downtown, but I definitely love visiting all the new parks, open spaces and bike paths.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,885,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
$1500 a month sounds like a pretty reasonable rent for a nice apartment. I would have thought they would be considerably more.
That's almost double my mortgage. Amazing!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 PM

616 posts, read 881,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I am single (divorced) and also have a teen and finding fun, affordable things to do for either of us is a challenge here in Atlanta. She complains of boredom often.
To each his own as far as where to live. But every single teenager everywhere "complains of boredom often". LOL! That is part of being a teenager.

But you are right to move. If I was a single mom Atlanta is the last place I'd live.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
To each his own as far as where to live. But every single teenager everywhere "complains of boredom often". LOL! That is part of being a teenager.

But you are right to move. If I was a single mom Atlanta is the last place I'd live.
Yep, teens complain. But when I was a teen a Chicago I always had stuff to do and was never, ever bored. I was always excited to explore the city. You are right about being a single mom here, which is why I am planning to go back home.

My mom is the main reason I stay but now I'm just trying to get my daughter through high school. :-)

My mom doesn't like Atlanta either and is trying to move from here within the year. Once my mom is gone, there's no reason for me to stay.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,146,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I've had to pay all utilities in many places. I don't think that's an Atlanta thing.

Regarding free stuff in ATL, if you can get out to the new Beltline and Piedmont Park right now, I recommend it. The weather is great, and is making me think twice about moving away! The city should forget about trains and revitalizing downtown and just put more money into projects like that. When I visit NYC now, the last thing I want to do is take the subway or go downtown, but I definitely love visiting all the new parks, open spaces and bike paths.
Ok...one vote against Atlanta density.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I get attacked a lot for being negative about Atlanta but everything rzzz described is why I am planning to move back to my hometown of Chicago within a year or two.

I didn't have a lot of money back in Chicago but it didn't seen to be an issue because I was never without anything to do. In Chicago you can do a lot for just the cost of bus fare. Here, not so much. You can have fun on a budget in Chicago, in Atlanta you don't have very many options. Moving here I was forced to take on the expense of car ownership. In Chicago I didn't have that expense so that was more money free to shop and do things on weekends. I never owned a vehicle or even had a driver's license before I moved to GA. Didn't need one back home.

I am single (divorced) and also have a teen and finding fun, affordable things to do for either of us is a challenge here in Atlanta. She complains of boredom often.

To rent a nice place in Atlanta is about as much as Chicago or not very much less and yet offers less as a city.

My mom, who also lives here posed in interesting question the other day. She asked me what the justification is of buying a million-dollar home in Atlanta. She said she just doesn't see what's here that would warrant buying an expensive home in places like Buchkead or Va-Hi.

You are right that rent isn't cheap here. I may pay a little more in rent when I move back home but the fact that I won't have to drive everywhere and can save on gas, coupled with the fact that there are lots of free activities, and most utilities are included with most apartments in Chicago (in Georgia I have to pay all utilities, in Chicago I always only had to pay phone and electric and that hasn't changed), moving back to Chicago has gotten more and more appealing.

I posed a hypothetical question to my daughter last week. I asked her what would make her want to stay in Atlanta. We both love the big, beautiful homes here. I asked her if we won the lottery and could buy ones of these big mini-mansions, would she want to stay. She said, she still wouldn't want to stay even if we could buy one of these huge houses--that living in a huge house here wouldn't change for her the fact that there isn't much to do.

Sounds like Atlanta is just too small for you. Chicago is a city nearing 10 million people so you can't even compare.

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 10-21-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Sounds like Atlanta is just too small for you. Chicagon is a city nearing 10 million people so you can't even compare.
It's nearly 3 million in Chicago proper, 9 million in Chicagoland. But yeah that's about right. Atlanta is just too small for me. Don't get me wrong, there are things I like about Atlanta, but it just doesn't have enough going on for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or