U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 23,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ames2006 View Post
I currently live in North Fulton and the commute downtown to work is killing me. It's only 20 miles but it's anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours each way everyday. I am thinking about moving to the south side, like Palmetto or Newnan. From my office to a house I have looked at recently, it's 41 miles. A guy at work said his commute from midtown to Newnan is only about 35 to 45 minutes unless there is bad weather or an accident. So if he's right, it's twice the distance but half the time. I can live with that trade off. If I'm at least MOVING I can deal with it. But sitting on GA400 for an hour and moving 10 feet drives me to drink.

I've seen a few threads on this site about the Atlanta/Newnan commute, but they are very old. Lots of changes have taken place on the expressways since then. I'd love to hear from someone who has that exact commute today, in 2012. My job allows flex time, so I could easily do a 7am to 4pm shift. And no, that makes no difference at all currently for me!

Thanks for all feedback!
My condolences, dude.
I can recommend a helicopter, a limo driver and a limo, or maybe you can build your own jetpack in your spacious garage.

Or you can move closer to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 30,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroJones View Post
My condolences, dude.
I can recommend a helicopter, a limo driver and a limo, or maybe you can build your own jetpack in your spacious garage.

Or you can move closer to work.

Thanks for taking the time to post that useless attempt at being humorously indifferent.

Ok, anybody with serious and helpful insight care to weigh in? Thanks in advance for anyone with real info and a desire to help.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 3,628 times
Did you ever make the move? And how is the drive? I am looking to make a similar transition but now its 2016 and I'd love to get your feedback.

thanks

Old 08-26-2016, 03:12 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,652,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosepost View Post
Did you ever make the move? And how is the drive? I am looking to make a similar transition but now its 2016 and I'd love to get your feedback.

thanks
I am not the Op, but. Your commute should be fine. The traffic on the south side is lighter so that's already a plus. The majority flow of that tragic is people heading north so heading south out of downtown is what I'd call an official reverse commute. You'll be fine as long as you keep your car in good repair.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:33 PM

186 posts, read 248,555 times
While the traffic is lighter on the Southside there are still some heavy spots. From Tyrone Rd/GA 74 to 285/Airport, traffic can be from mild to heavy depending on the time of day, and then the backup from Langford into the city will be heavy most of the day. The afternoon has similar heavy spots. But it is no where near the nightmare that is the Northside.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 175 times
Can anyone suggest a vanpool from Union City, Georgia to Newnan Georgia in the morning and from Newnan Georgia to Union City, Georgia in the evening? The GRTA bus does not commute from Union City Georgia to Newnan in the morning and the company does not commute at all in the evening from Newnan to Union City. That is so crazy... I have called several times. I do not understand this company process, trust and believe we have ppl who lives in Fulton County and works in Newnan Georgia. Any suggestions anyone about vanpooling.
Thanks,

Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 AM

1,099 posts, read 435,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYJAD View Post
Can anyone suggest a vanpool from Union City, Georgia to Newnan Georgia in the morning and from Newnan Georgia to Union City, Georgia in the evening? The GRTA bus does not commute from Union City Georgia to Newnan in the morning and the company does not commute at all in the evening from Newnan to Union City. That is so crazy... I have called several times. I do not understand this company process, trust and believe we have ppl who lives in Fulton County and works in Newnan Georgia. Any suggestions anyone about vanpooling.
Thanks,
Coweta County has vanpool service, but it does not operate conjunction with MARTA and is specific to Coweta County.

That said, it does drop you off at the MARTA station in Palmetto. You can switch to a bus that would get you to Union City from there. You would do the reverse going to Newnan.

It is unfortunate that's the best we have. I live in Newnan and I know a lot of folks from South Fulton do work at places like the Cancer Treatment Center, Piedmont Hospital and at the shopping centers / restaurants.

IMO, if it were up to me, a commuter rail would be perfect for someone in your situation.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:56 PM

40 posts, read 43,073 times
If it's traffic heading into the city of Atlanta from Newnan in the morning you can always use Metropolitan or Roosevelt Hwy and make good time plus vice versa on your way back

Old 08-29-2018, 09:10 AM

557 posts, read 285,372 times
Quote:
Thanks,

Have you checked into VRide?? They provide vans for vanpools. I used them for a while to commute from PTC to downtown. You really have to be committed to vanpooling if you use them though, because you're going to have to find up a group of people to vanpool with, coordinate schedules, drive, etc. But it's a good option if you're going to use it everyday, have a stable schedule and are able to find enough people to vanpool at your same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or