U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM

28,312 posts, read 24,940,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Those positions probably have pensions too, huh? Wow. Although I realize now it's a 33 month period, so that's roughly $91K/year with no life.

I won't begrudge the driver that. That isn't unrealistic for a senior driver willing to drive THAT many hours.
Yeah, they have terrific pensions and benefits. Not sure what it is these days but you used to be able to retire at close to full pay.

I wasn't joking about unemployed law school grads doing better as bus drivers. Median pay for lawyers is $112,760 per year, so if they are willing to log some overtime they'll be much better off. Maybe they can even start whittling down some of their law school debt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM

984 posts, read 1,437,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Those positions probably have pensions too, huh? Wow. Although I realize now it's a 33 month period, so that's roughly $91K/year with no life.

I won't begrudge the driver that. That isn't unrealistic for a senior driver willing to drive THAT many hours.
Yeah, that's more of a public safety issue than a salary issue. People are quick to jump the gun, it was intentionally reported in a misleading fashion. 91k working 80hours a week is roughly $22.00 an hour, no big deal.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM

22,395 posts, read 16,408,275 times
If the driver has a spotless record, working his butt off with OT, and does a great job, why shouldn't the driver make that much? Its not salary the driver is working a lot of OT.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,139,745 times
The AJC/WSB/Cox media is really trying its darndest to raise the ire of its conservative readers. They hardly made even the slightest effort to look at all the nuances behind this story, if at all.

Just one more example of why the mainstream media sucks butt big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Yeah, that's more of a public safety issue than a salary issue. People are quick to jump the gun, it was intentionally reported in a misleading fashion. 91k working 80hours a week is roughly $22.00 an hour, no big deal.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM

924 posts, read 1,137,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If the driver has a spotless record, working his butt off with OT, and does a great job, why shouldn't the driver make that much? Its not salary the driver is working a lot of OT.
The question I would have is why are they allowing someone to work so much overtime instead of hiring more workers? 80 hours a week is almost 12 hours a day every day. I would be worried that person might fall asleep or not be as attentive as they should/could be.

I don't blame the guy for working much to make the money, but I do question the management.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,949,434 times
Theoretically if he is able to legally work those hours, he may actually come in cheaper than hiring a second driver. Most pensions are based on your base salary and having one guy essentially do the work of 2 people, he probably is cheaper working ridiculous hrs over having to fund a 2nd pension even if he's at time and a half. There's also the morbid part that his stress levels may be high enough (along w/12 hrs a day of not moving much) that he'll keel over at his retirement party and his wife will have divorced him years before so it'll actually improve the pension's solvency.

A better question would be if they audit this person's timesheet to find out if he actually worked that many hours b/c it sounds like a horribly miserable experience not to mention dangerous to anyone on his bus.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM

22,395 posts, read 16,408,275 times
Quote:
The question I would have is why are they allowing someone to work so much overtime instead of hiring more workers? 80 hours a week is almost 12 hours a day every day. I would be worried that person might fall asleep or not be as attentive as they should/could be.

I don't blame the guy for working much to make the money, but I do question the management.
Can't blame the guy for making his money. Maybe he does not have a family and just enjoys working and helping customers.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,625,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Maybe he does not have a family and just enjoys working and helping customers.
Yes. I'm sure that is the most likely scenario.

Heck, they won't even let truck drivers work more than 70 hours per week. This doesn't seem safe or smart to allow someone to drive that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or