U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:51 PM

12 posts, read 17,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
First, Atlanta is too hot to host the summer olympics again. Second, until Atlanta has solid plans that can't simply be voted away on a pack of lies no major international event like the olympics or World Cup will want to come here. Third and most important, a country hosting one of these events wants to showcase the best of itself, not the most backward, bigoted, and regressive-thinking city they have!
Then Why Was Atlanta Chosen in the 1996? If Atlanta is so backward, bigoted, and regressive? Too Hot? Look At Other Cities who hosted the Olympics like Mexico City, Sydney,St.Louis , and even Rio de Janeiro that will host the 2016 Summer Olympics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM

347 posts, read 332,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
Atlanta may eventually host the Olympics again, but it will probably not be in our lifetimes.
Maybe it will!!

U.S. Olympic Committee gauges Atlanta

I say go for it! We have a good chance for 1) ATL has done it, 2) it will cause explosive growth BUT we have see what sprawl growth has done; now we can focus on more urban, dense, and transit oriented growth IN Atlanta, and 3) this may be the catalyst that we need to extend MARTA rail and increase bus service in the city and MARTA service area; this may even expand the system into another county (probably Clayton and maybe Gwinnett)!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,141,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth View Post
Then Why Was Atlanta Chosen in the 1996? If Atlanta is so backward, bigoted, and regressive? Too Hot? Look At Other Cities who hosted the Olympics like Mexico City, Sydney,St.Louis , and even Rio de Janeiro that will host the 2016 Summer Olympics!
Remember that our Summers are their winters in Sydney and Rio. Is St. Louis known for its hot summers? Anyway, the St Louis games were a long time ago and generally a big flop.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
Maybe it will!!

U.S. Olympic Committee gauges Atlanta

I say go for it! We have a good chance for 1) ATL has done it, 2) it will cause explosive growth BUT we have see what sprawl growth has done; now we can focus on more urban, dense, and transit oriented growth IN Atlanta, and 3) this may be the catalyst that we need to extend MARTA rail and increase bus service in the city and MARTA service area; this may even expand the system into another county (probably Clayton and maybe Gwinnett)!
No problem with a second go of it, but I really don't think the Olympics leads to explosive growth. I don't even recall MARTA rail expanding because of it. And for the Olympics, we don't need to extend MARTA rail. Might be a good reason for additional streetcar lines though. GT might have 100% dorm space coverage as a result. Or they could base the Village at the AUC which would revitalize them in a big way (but no...nothing for Morris Brown).

But a second sell won't be easy as other cities will want it and Atlanta had its turn.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM

9,950 posts, read 6,952,877 times
I don't think we should spend the effort on another bid right now. Save it for a future bid. LA held it twice, but with 52 years in between. Lets focus that effort on other things to raise the city's profile and draw people and projects. A new Dome and hosting World Cups events would be great.

Should Atlanta bid on the 2024 Olympics?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM

^ Remember that LA got it again because no one else wanted it.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,552,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth View Post
I Think The Olympics should be Held In Atlanta Again! This Would Increase the Population By like 2 fold in my opinion. And Ever Sense Last Time Atlanta has Had some major Growth! After All Atlanta Is Probably The Most Sport Minded City in The South East, having multiple Major Sports Teams. Every one Will want to move to Atlanta! If Atlanta doesn't hold The Olympics again, maybe give A city like Miami or Dallas The Crown.
The Olympics? are they still a big deal? It just seems so watered down now.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM

22,238 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Quote:
No problem with a second go of it, but I really don't think the Olympics leads to explosive growth. I don't even recall MARTA rail expanding because of it. And for the Olympics, we don't need to extend MARTA rail. Might be a good reason for additional streetcar lines though. GT might have 100% dorm space coverage as a result. Or they could base the Village at the AUC which would revitalize them in a big way (but no...nothing for Morris Brown).

But a second sell won't be easy as other cities will want it and Atlanta had its turn.
Red Line was extended to Dunwoody in preparation for the 1996 games.
Quote:
Richard J. Simonetta, previously General Manager of the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) in Columbus, Ohio, replaced Gregor. Simonetta would oversee a heavy construction program leading up to the 1996 Olympic Games.

By June 1996, MARTA had completed more than 20 major projects including the North Line, the new Perry Boulevard compressed natural gas (CNG) bus facility, new RideStores, ITS projects, escalator rehabilitation, mid-life overhaul of some rail cars, and automatic train announcements. The new seven-mile North Line included the Buckhead, Medical Center, and Dunwoody Stations and represented the first time in MARTA’s history that a line segment spanned all three funding jurisdictions (City of Atlanta, Fulton County, and DeKalb County).
MARTA > About MARTA

Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM

^ But was that line initiated or fast-tracked because of the Games. Atlanta was awarded the Games in 1990 so in the span of 6 years, it was conceived, financed and done?

Might be a good way to get the Beltline done if it can somehow be tied into the Games.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,297,382 times
I'd love for Atlanta to hose the Olympics again. We have the ability to do it, we can do it cheaper than last time, and we could do it better knowing what we need to improve and having the improvements our city has created since '96.

The only thing I must say... I think it is too early in history for us to repeat. I think it could happen in my lifetime, but before put alot of money and effort into bidding many will frown on the only 28 years apart from our first and second host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or