U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 PM

165 posts, read 269,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Downtown is not a desirable place for most residents to visit and spend tiem in and tourists rarely go south of Marietta St.
Unlike Midtown, which has many neighborhoods full of residents all connected seamlessly, downtown is an island. It's cut off from neighborhoods to the north and east by the curves of the 75/85 interstate and its off/on ramps. It's cut off on the south by I-20 and on the west by a large swath of rail infrastructure. That disconnect is a considerable handicap when it comes to getting outside residents to come in -- it doesn't feel like its a natural part of the surrounding areas. I think it's a mistake to see that as being reflective of the innate desirability of downtown or its ability to become better connected in the future and bring in more Atlantans.

There isn't much of anything south of Marietta Street but surface parking lots and empty buildings. It's a sad thing. Why would you expect anyone to go there? That's an odd measuring stick

Quote:
Midtown, I see many people go to their restaurants....Midtown sort of bustle on weekday and weekend nights...especially restaurants....Midtown is a lot more safe IMO then Downtown.
Downtown has a huge amount of convention and tourist activity due to the GWCC, Aquarium, World of Coke, and convention-friendly hotels like the Marriott Marquis. If there was crime hitting these visitors, you'd know. The AJC, which never misses a chance to generate revenue with stories of big-city crime, would be all over stories of mugged conventioneers or assaulted aquarium visitors. When downtown becomes truly unsafe -- trust me -- you'll hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,426,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Urbanist View Post
Unlike Midtown, which has many neighborhoods full of residents all connected seamlessly, downtown is an island. It's cut off from neighborhoods to the north and east by the curves of the 75/85 interstate and its off/on ramps. It's cut off on the south by I-20 and on the west by a large swath of rail infrastructure. That disconnect is a considerable handicap when it comes to getting outside residents to come in -- it doesn't feel like its a natural part of the surrounding areas. I think it's a mistake to see that as being reflective of the innate desirability of downtown or its ability to become better connected in the future and bring in more Atlantans.

There isn't much of anything south of Marietta Street but surface parking lots and empty buildings. It's a sad thing. Why would you expect anyone to go there? That's an odd measuring stick

Downtown has a huge amount of convention and tourist activity due to the GWCC, Aquarium, World of Coke, and convention-friendly hotels like the Marriott Marquis. If there was crime hitting these visitors, you'd know. The AJC, which never misses a chance to generate revenue with stories of big-city crime, would be all over stories of mugged conventioneers or assaulted aquarium visitors. When downtown becomes truly unsafe -- trust me -- you'll hear about it.
I have always said the city and state should build a park over the connector. Do you think this would give the area a more connected feeling.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 PM

27,852 posts, read 24,915,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I have always said the city and state should build a park over the connector. Do you think this would give the area a more connected feeling.
A cap would definitely be nice and would be a great way to connect the two districts, and might even bring some new life to the abandoned medical arts building. Dallas is currently doing this, which will connect uptown and downtown.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 AM

368 posts, read 415,759 times
Quote:
Midtown is a lot more safe IMO then Downtown.
"IMO" is the most important part of your statement. On that very same page I posted the statistics that prove midtown is not safer than downtown. You may *feel* more safe in midtown because you see less homeless people and panhandlers, but the crime reports do not show a higher crime rate in downtown.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:11 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,565,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
"IMO" is the most important part of your statement. On that very same page I posted the statistics that prove midtown is not safer than downtown. You may *feel* more safe in midtown because you see less homeless people and panhandlers, but the crime reports do not show a higher crime rate in downtown.
I'm not sure why some people are so afraid of panhandlers...they are an irritant at most, but 99% of the time they are not dangerous. It seems like there is also a fear of tall, dense buildings and brown people.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:16 PM

3,749 posts, read 2,359,377 times
Seems to me that the primary reason is gentrification. Midtown has successfully attracted many affluent white, mixed race, women, gays, etc. Downtown is still mostly lower income minorities as far as those who live there.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,936,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm not sure why some people are so afraid of panhandlers...they are an irritant at most, but 99% of the time they are not dangerous. It seems like there is also a fear of tall, dense buildings and brown people.
I don't fear them, but they can be annoying, and many cities of similar size do a much better job of keeping them away from areas that visitors are likely to frequent.

Why does Atlanta tolerate their presence in those areas? I really don't understand.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,595,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I don't fear them, but they can be annoying, and many cities of similar size do a much better job of keeping them away from areas that visitors are likely to frequent.

Why does Atlanta tolerate their presence in those areas? I really don't understand.
They are also much more "aggressive" in Atlanta than they are in other cities. They come right up to you and spout some BS story about just getting out of jail and needing a bus ticket or something like that. I've never had anybody get in my personal space like they did in Atlanta. It can be a tad bit disconcerting when it happens late at night in a practically empty section of town. They pretty much sit or stand and ask for change from passers by in most other places.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 AM

223 posts, read 413,590 times
Even if Leftist' Berkeley, panhandlers weren't allowed to get near people using ATMs. They ruled it wasn't protected speech or something along those lines.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM

112 posts, read 138,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Seems to me that the primary reason is gentrification. Midtown has successfully attracted many affluent white, mixed race, women, gays, etc. Downtown is still mostly lower income minorities as far as those who live there.
I live downtown. A majority of downtown residents are also affluent white, black, mixed race, women, gays, etc. Where exactly are these lower income minorities that you speak of living? All of the projects were torn down years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or