U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 AM

27,750 posts, read 24,763,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Time for Atlanta to attempt to re-attract developers to Atlanta or downtown Atlanta will be dead by 2025.
No it won't. But more investment definitely needs to be on the way, with that I do agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,959,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Here, here. Knowing the full history of Downtown helps shape a more releastic picture of why Downtown is the way it is today. Not least of which the knowing the affect the 1917 fire (that wiped out 1/4 of the city's residential districts), the Depression, and public housing had on Downtown as district. What Downtown is today is a direct result of things that happened in the first half of last century. I suppose if one's memories of the last century were relegated to the Teletubbies and the Power Rangers, it might be hard to understand that.
Key points made here worth repeating about why Downtown is the way it is today. Much of how Downtown Atlanta is today is from its own history going back at least 100 years.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM

3,948 posts, read 3,252,641 times
I think Midtown owe its growth to Downtown. Downtown growth is inevitable, because all interstates merge there. The beltline will define Atlanta's greatness.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,761,450 times
Even if developers do come in to make downtown Atlanta more appealing. The questions are:

1. What is there to be re-developed?

2. What could they exactly do to make it more vibrant and appealing?

3. If some great shopping centers, restaurants, clubs were added, who would support then?

They already tried to revitalize The Underground and make it a great nightlife attraction and it was a fail.

Maybe it's not just poor city planning or lack of good development, but rather within the population of Atlanta itself people just aren't going to support anything downtown.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM

28,114 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Time for Atlanta to attempt to re-attract developers to Atlanta or downtown Atlanta will be dead by 2025.
Atlanta has been ferociously trying to attract developers to downtown for decades.

For one thing, they've claimed it was "blighted" and turned into a TAD. As a result, they've paid out mega millions to developers to build there.

In addition, they've lobbied state, federal and local governments to invest zillions of dollars in downtown.

There have been countless planning studies and development plans.

Many private individuals and corporations have stepped up to create public spaces like Woodruff Park and Centennial Park, the Aquarium, the Coke museum, the Football museum, etc.

Downtown was singled out for the first streetcar in Atlanta. Large amounts of money have been invested in improving streetscapes.

Churches and other charitable organizations have made huge investments of time and money in dealing with the homeless.

We're still paying for Underground Atlanta bonds.

And on and on.

By the way, I heartily agree with that Roger Brooks article about the three key points for healthy downtowns. You have to make them attractive and create curb appeal. That means getting trash off the streets, lighting dark, enclosed spaces, and making sure people aren't hassled by bums. The same applies to making them places where women feel safe. And there's no question that staying open in the evening is critical. Downtown does a pretty good job of that in some areas, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:33 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,964,106 times
There is this one area of Peachtree between Underground & Greyhound Bus Station that reminds me of those ugly villages in Africa. Everything in this location looks super depressed & dirty. There are more bums in this strech of Peachtree than there is at Woodruff park. Its like the convention of Atlantas dirtiest people. Very bad area.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM

738 posts, read 1,117,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
There is this one area of Peachtree between Underground & Greyhound Bus Station that reminds me of those ugly villages in Africa. Everything in this location looks super depressed & dirty. There are more bums in this strech of Peachtree than there is at Woodruff park. Its like the convention of Atlantas dirtiest people. Very bad area.
I've noticed this about the bus stations in many other cities - they're in the worst possible part of town. What's up with that?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,072,622 times
It should be mentioned that Midtown formed CID (community improvement district) way back in the 1970's called Midtown Alliance so businesses in the district have been imposing additional taxes on themselves for decades to put money into improving the area and millions are put in each year, thus a lot of improvements that other areas may not have.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,586,216 times
Yeah, downtown is...sigh...

People have been talking about the change right around the corner for decades now. I agree with the poster who said it's ghetto. That nails a lot of the problem and unfortunately it will probably never get properly addressed because it's twisted into a race issue as soon as someone points it out.

I also agree that it has "good bones." structurally downtown has a lot of potential but "there's no there there."

Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM

771 posts, read 1,308,243 times
I used to go to ATL for business 2-3x a year, and would ALWAYS see yellow crime scene tape near Five Points. I don't see how anyone can stand working in downtown ATL. Between the hood rats, the ghetto behavior, and the crime, it feels incredibly dangerous to me. You won't get people to invest in downtown ATL unless you get rid of the thugs, homeless, trash, and crime. Its that simple. But the minute you start to move against this kind of stuff, people start screaming racism... sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or