U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 AM

402 posts, read 569,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
No, I think more people like Mayor Reed would do the trick.
Yea, Reed is great, a balancing of the demographics will happen naturally I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
What's PCM and BA
BA is Buckhead Atlanta

PCM is Ponce City Market

Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM

9,591 posts, read 10,929,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
This is so true...just like Atlanta downtown DC it's mostly corporate that's about it after work everyone goes elsewhere to eat, party etc.. same thing with New York people work in the financial district but once they leave work they go elsewhere. I personally think Midtown should be the spot where everyone parties shops at eat because that's what it's turning out to be. Midtown is definitely more inviting than downtown. I believe downtown needs to remain corporate and allow Midtown to be the jump off spot. I must say downtown Atlanta is bustling during the day could you amagine in Atlantic Station was built in the middle of downtown and it replaced the underground.

Why can't both midtown and downtown Atlanta be mixed use and vibrant with offices and residential units? To create a vibrant 24 hour experience, you need both. Atlanta is not built like DC or NYC in that the whole city is dense and walkable. The area's like midtown and downtown are the only dense area's that have the infrastructure to be vibrant 24 hour nodes. Much of Atlanta is single family homes without zero lot development which is part of Atlanta's character so that will not change. The area's that can be built up like downtown and midtown should be equally built up and focused on to create a 24 hour vibrancy. I think it would be a mistake to neglect one and focus on the other. That just leads to greater decline. DC and NYC are loading their downtown's with residential units currently to change the office ghetto feel of the past and Atlanta will do the same thing. Downtown Atlanta has some great projects moving forward so it will see brighter days. You have to have vision.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 AM

28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why can't both midtown and downtown Atlanta be mixed use and vibrant with offices and residential units? To create a vibrant 24 hour experience, you need both. Atlanta is not built like DC or NYC in that the whole city is dense and walkable. The area's like midtown and downtown are the only dense area's that have the infrastructure to be vibrant 24 hour nodes. Much of Atlanta is single family homes without zero lot development which is part of Atlanta's character so that will not change. The area's that can be built up like downtown and midtown should be equally built up and focused on to create a 24 hour vibrancy. I think it would be a mistake to neglect one and focus on the other. That just leads to greater decline. DC and NYC are loading their downtown's with residential units currently to change the office ghetto feel of the past and Atlanta will do the same thing. Downtown Atlanta has some great projects moving forward so it will see brighter days. You have to have vision.
I agree that Atlanta can have multiple built up, walkable areas.

Not a big point, but you don't need zero lot line development to accomplish that.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM

9,591 posts, read 10,929,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree that Atlanta can have multiple built up, walkable areas.

Not a big point, but you don't need zero lot line development to accomplish that.

Technically, anything can be walkable because you can walk anywhere. I assume when people say walkable in this context, they are talking about high-rises with first floor retail that creates an uninterrupted street wall. That is what downtown Atlanta has and what midtown Atlanta is trying to create. I'm sure we can agree on that. I referenced that because setbacks are not conducive to commercial mixed use walkablity. Towns and cities alike for the last 300 years with a population of only one hundred people to one million people all design main street to look the same way. There is a reason for this. Zero lot development promotes walkability and commerce. Even Mayberry had zero lot development on Main Street.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,598,775 times
Quote:
Technically, anything can be walkable because you can walk anywhere. I assume when people say walkable in this context, they are talking about high-rises with first floor retail that creates an uninterrupted street wall. That is what downtown Atlanta has and what midtown Atlanta is trying to create. I'm sure we can agree on that. I referenced that because setbacks are not conducive to commercial mixed use walkablity. Towns and cities alike for the last 300 years with a population of only one hundred people to one million people all design main street to look the same way. There is a reason for this. Zero lot development promotes walkability and commerce. Even Mayberry had zero lot development on Main Street.
Downtown Atlanta does not have a long urban wall....so many parking lots.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,026 times
Quote:
they are talking about high-rises with first floor retail that creates an uninterrupted street wall. That is what downtown Atlanta has
The problem with downtown ATL is that it doesn't really have that. Just walk around down there. Compared to the total number of buildings, there are actually very few first floor retail spaces. There are just not very many places a small retail shop or cafe could move in down there. That is what I meant in another thread when I said the problem down there is structural, not because of homeless people, or even transit.

That said, I don't think that sort of architecture is unique to Atlanta. Most cities (even NYC) have a downtown where it's just a bunch of banks and office buildings and it's pretty dead after work and on weekends. If people want an urban walkable area at this point it's probably better to focus on Midtown and just let GSU annex the rest of downtown.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:34 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
If people want an urban walkable area at this point it's probably better to focus on Midtown and just let GSU buy the rest of downtown.
Why are so many people ready to give up on Downtown? Its the historical center of the region, its where everything started. No downtown, no Terminus, no Atlanta, no suburbs.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,026 times
It's not really giving up, GSU is probably the only organization with the finances, clout and desire to reform that area.

There actually is revitalization of the area happening already with the street car. However, the reason why you see the Edgewood section of the street car developing already, is because there actually are inexpensive street level retail spaces available in that area. Once you get further into downtown, a developer would have to significantly redo many of the buildings in order to get more spaces like that, and only GSU seems interested. Probably the best approach to take would for concerned citizens to work with GSU to include pedestrian scale amenities in their development of the area. Many universities do this, for example, Harvard and MIT own most of the buildings in Cambridge MA, U of Arizona owns many of the retail level buildings in Tucson, etc.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
Quote:
Well sort of, but it depends alot on what you do with the setback and is the setback is consistent

A nice tree lined area or a 5-10 wide lawn does alot to add character in many cities.

I had a friend that lived Lincoln Park in Chicago for awhile. It was a charming little street, but the buildings all had a small set back, small lawns, and tree cover over the sidewalk and front entrances.

Many other places also have outdoor cafe eating areas.

I often prefer places with small setbacks, compared to being a wall right on the sidewalk, but the key is it needs to be organized and cohesive to its purpose and function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or