U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,122,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearbare1 View Post
Thanks! I will probably plan on checking out a couple of places in midtown as well as out in the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas. If I end up outside of the perimeter, what is the easiest and safest way to get into the city for leisure time? Driving, taxi, or Marta?
I live near Magnolia Drive in Roswell, and can get to the North Springs MARTA train station in 10-15 minutes, I let MARTA do the work from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,577,297 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will probably plan on checking out a couple of places in midtown as well as out in the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas. If I end up outside of the perimeter, what is the easiest and safest way to get into the city for leisure time? Driving, taxi, or Marta?
Marta would be an excellent choice if where you are going is served by the train. One of the cons against Marta is that it is limited in where it actually goes. I would also be a bit concerned if you are coming home at very late hours and traveling by yourself

Taxi's are an option if you are drinking (most taxis take credit cards). Just know that you can't hail (hale?) a cab from the street so get a business card and have a number to call

Driving will probably be your primary choice - you are only talking about 10 miles on average and parking is not expensive (compared to other metro areas). After hours, traffic is not typically an issue unless there are several big events going on at the same time.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:23 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,399,280 times
I would check to see if there are any rentals available in tha artisan building in downtown Decatur. Downtown Decatur is a good spot for mid 30s single people and also a good spot to get started in the atlanta area.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 8,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I would check to see if there are any rentals available in tha artisan building in downtown Decatur. Downtown Decatur is a good spot for mid 30s single people and also a good spot to get started in the atlanta area.
Thanks! I will look into it.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:35 PM

The more I am looking into this, it seems midtown might be a good area. I will likely be spending 60% of my time at the CDC and Emory with the rest of the time spread out around ATL and upstate SC. It seems like my time stuck in traffic in the mornings and late afternoons would be cut down considerably living in midtown. Would that be accurate? Versus living in Sandy Springs area.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM

737 posts, read 803,645 times
I'll go ahead and say "Welcome to Atlanta" in advance. If I were you, I'd look to Decatur. Don't be confused though, as a large part of unincorporated DeKalb (Dah Cab) County bears the Decatur name without actually being inside the city limits. The City of Decatur's sole zip code is 30030 and it is an amazing mix of urban/suburban living. I would highly suggest it you look there. There are more than two dozen neighborhoods ITP that I could suggest but I would start with Decatur first.

Other good neighborhoods you can check into: Druid Hills, ViHi, Poncey Highlands, Candler Park, East Lake, ... Ok I won't overwhelm you just yet.

Where is LovinDecatur at when we need her?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,399,280 times
If you are going to spend 60% of your time at CDC and Emory you should definitely look at downtown Decatur. You could just take the Emory Shuttle up there.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM

737 posts, read 803,645 times
Quote:
The more I am looking into this, it seems midtown might be a good area. I will likely be spending 60% of my time at the CDC and Emory with the rest of the time spread out around ATL and upstate SC. It seems like my time stuck in traffic in the mornings and late afternoons would be cut down considerably living in midtown. Would that be accurate? Versus living in Sandy Springs area.
You do NOT want to be going into or coming out of Sandy Springs morning or afternoon during rush hour. I personally feel that Sandy Springs is Atlanta's most prominent suburb and to a degree its kind of viewed as an extension of Atlanta and not a true suburb vs Roswell or Marietta. All it will take is one look at 285, 400, Hammond Drive, Roswell Road, Ashford Dunwoody Road or any other road up there at 7 am or 4 pm and you'll understand why I'm telling you to not do it to yourself.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I'll go ahead and say "Welcome to Atlanta" in advance. If I were you, I'd look to Decatur. Don't be confused though, as a large part of unincorporated DeKalb (Dah Cab) County bears the Decatur name without actually being inside the city limits. The City of Decatur's sole zip code is 30030 and it is an amazing mix of urban/suburban living. I would highly suggest it you look there. There are more than two dozen neighborhoods ITP that I could suggest but I would start with Decatur first.

Other good neighborhoods you can check into: Druid Hills, ViHi, Poncey Highlands, Candler Park, East Lake, ... Ok I won't overwhelm you just yet.

Where is LovinDecatur at when we need her?
Thank you! That's helpful. I will check into it as well.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM

How is the Johns Creek area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or