U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 PM

7,750 posts, read 9,630,117 times

Advertisements

"going on faith" could be the basis of a lot of poorly researched awful decisions.

Sure, we all have to take a leap of faith sometimes because there are certain things in the universe that can never be accurately predicted no matter how much research you do.

Taking a leap of faith after you have learned all you can is quite different from giving yourself up to God and letting him make all of your decisions. Then it's just an excuse for being stupid, lazy, or perhaps both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,495,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
If you can't make it where you are, you can't make it where you are going without anything already lined up or a support system already in place.

I have had friends come here with degrees thinking Atlanta is the place to be and would roll out the red carpet for them, only to end up living pillar-to-post after they got here. One of them, the only way she was able to get out of her tough spot is because she got married, and another, she has always had trouble finding jobs that paid enough to cover rent, she's now unemployed and has been for a long time and is still struggling to find work, and she can't afford to keep an apartment and she's been in and out of shelters and extended stays--and she has a master's degree. When she moved here with her bachelor's degree, employers would tell her she'd be more marketable for the jobs she'd been applying for if she got her master's. She got her master's and still can't find a job.
What is her masters and bachelors degree in?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,794,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
What is her masters and bachelors degree in?
I'm not sure what her bachelor's is in but she has an MBA.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,495,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
MBA is useless without at least 5 years experience. Even then that depends on the major/field.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
MBA is useless without at least 5 years experience. Even then that depends on the major/field.
That's what I hear, but I guess it depends what you are looking for? She has an accounting/finance background.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,401,036 times
Once you get out of that world through unemployment, it's hard to get back into it. There are simply tens of thousands of people with similar qualifications, and a stigma against hiring someone who doesn't already have a job.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM

7,750 posts, read 9,630,117 times
Quote:
Onthemove2014 is precisely right.

I don't know why employers lied to your friend telling her that she would be more marketable with an MBA. Experience is the only thing that matters. The only time an MBA matters is if you and another candidate are exactly equal (which we know never really happens) and you have an MBA and the other doesn't, or if you are already employed and well liked in your company, getting an MBA while continuing to work there can help you get promoted within. But an MBA in and of itself is fairly meaningless.

At least, for 99% of the MBA holders. An MBA from Harvard, Northwestern, or somewhere similar may actually help, but how many people get those degrees? If you have the resources to go to Harvard business school, you probably already know who is going to get you a job when you graduate. If you don't, you probably met someone in the program who does.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM

738 posts, read 1,123,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
All of these comments sound so negative, pray for jesus to show you the way and if it's meant for you to come to Georgia he will make a way for you regardless of what negativity these other commenters are replying on here with, keep your faith and pray for an answer.
Pray for the Flying Spaghetti Monster to show you the way, and if it's meant for you to come to Georgia, His Noodly Appendages will make a way for you. Better the mushroom you know than the fungus you donít know. Heed, O Pastafarians this advice, for to ignore it would be most unwise and a bummer to the Great and Wheat-Based Protein-Orbed Creator of All That There Is.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Pray for the Flying Spaghetti Monster to show you the way, and if it's meant for you to come to Georgia, His Noodly Appendages will make a way for you. Better the mushroom you know than the fungus you don’t know. Heed, O Pastafarians this advice, for to ignore it would be most unwise and a bummer to the Great and Wheat-Based Protein-Orbed Creator of All That There Is.
Dawkins much? Great post!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM

28,286 posts, read 24,902,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABetter2013 View Post
Im from Ohio and nothing seems to be going positive For me no matter what.I am a single parent of a middle school age child. I have family but no help. None! I'm just to theso point where I'm fed up not having help from people I've helped in the past when I was on my feet. Now I need help and I can't get it. So I'd rather move from this depressing state I'm in and start new. I mean from the very bottom. So my questions are what shelters assists with mother's getting back on there feet having nothing ? Also also is it hard finding a job in the manufacturing business or temp agency right now? Any info or resources would be great.
I understand the desire to go in a new direction, but I sure wouldn't recommend coming to Atlanta if you (a) don't have a job lined up and (b) are looking to live in a shelter or find some sort of assistance. Those are all in very short supply in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or