U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 802 times

Advertisements

This is a relatively small group of squeaky wheel residents and does not to represent the vast majority of residents in Inman Park. If the objection were widely supported then the Inman Park Neighborhood Association would have put it's weight behind the lawsuit. Instead, the project was approved by IPNA. Meanwhile, three of four individuals who happen to live very near the project are bringing this lawsuit on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like some of residents are not pleased by a developer's plan to build a high-density, $45 million mixed-use project smack dab in the middle of Inman Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM

7,712 posts, read 9,565,954 times
That's probably true.

I don't care so much about this particular project as much as I like seeing the density above all else crowd admit that sometimes density is not the answer.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,516,712 times
I wish there were fewer parking spaces, but other than that the project seems fine.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:36 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,280,517 times
I have no sympathy for these people!

The property is:

1 block from the beltline
next to other dense beltline developments
2 blocks from the freedom pkwy trail
The perpendicular intersection is Highland Ave on the part that runs straight into downtown.
That block is currently commercial/industrial use.
5 blocks from a MARTA station

I'm sorry, but this is classic nimby-ism at the worse.

You can't live that close to downtown, expect to live in large lot single family homes and not expect to see density grow over time.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM

7,712 posts, read 9,565,954 times
It's the same mentality as the residents of Kirkwood who wanted density and stores and bars they could walk to, but the second one bar got a little bit unruly they had it shut down.

Yet if someone else doesn't want something like that, they must be backwards hillbilly suburbanites who worship their cars.

The bottom line is some development is good, some isn't good. Local zoning boards get to decided the kinds of things they want and what they don't want.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM

22,207 posts, read 16,223,527 times
Quote:
It's the same mentality as the residents of Kirkwood who wanted density and stores and bars they could walk to, but the second one bar got a little bit unruly they had it shut down
Whoa, that bar was operating outside of the time it was suppose to, broke several zoning laws, eg: reflective tint, and did not pay its rent. But it is currently open with a liquor license and everything.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Human nature is the same on either side of 285, it seems.
No question about it. The fact that you live intown doesn't mean you want willy-nilly development in your backyard.

I think most people (OTP and ITP) are sensible enough to realize that change is inevitable, and that if you buy in a developing area you can expect it to come your way.

However, that doesn't mean you have sacrificed your right to insist on appropriate protections and compliance with the zoning laws. You can't simply kick your feet and scream, but you can certainly make your voice heard.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,610,537 times
Screw them. The project plans definitely will make that area more urban and more people walking the streets. If they don't like it, MOVE. There is plenty of space outside of the perimeter where it's unlikely you will see these developments for hundreds of years.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM

9,582 posts, read 8,658,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Screw them. The project plans definitely will make that area more urban and more people walking the streets. If they don't like it, MOVE. There is plenty of space outside of the perimeter where it's unlikely you will see these developments for hundreds of years.
No, no, no. Some of these folks are the very residents who have helped to make Inman Park a great intown neighborhood. Don't "screw them". Instead, work with them, and see if their concerns can be satisfactorily addressed. Were someone to try to introduce a high density development in my neighborhood, I'd be up in arms. It's places like Inman Park - and the folks who live there - that have helped Atlanta grow and develop. To simply tell them to bugger off is neither right nor productive. Many of these folks are invested in Atlanta and shouldn't be told to screw off just because their idea of city living does not comport with others'.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,610,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No, no, no. Some of these folks are the very residents who have helped to make Inman Park a great intown neighborhood. Don't "screw them". Instead, work with them, and see if their concerns can be satisfactorily addressed. Were someone to try to introduce a high density development in my neighborhood, I'd be up in arms. It's places like Inman Park - and the folks who live there - that have helped Atlanta grow and develop. To simply tell them to bugger off is neither right nor productive. Many of these folks are invested in Atlanta and shouldn't be told to screw off just because their idea of city living does not comport with others'.
I don't care. Do you see how close they are to downtown/midtown? Most other cities have urbanity surrounding the core of the city....Atlanta will eventually become that way too...and this should be expected...you can't expect peaceful, quiet suburban living 1.5 miles away forever.

Atlanta is an anomaly for such a metro of it's size and it's beginning to catch up to reality and how major cities are actually built.

Jeez, these people act like their houses is being demolished for new projects.

And the reason high density development is being built there is BECAUSE of the people who moved there within the last 10-20 years. That's what happens when areas get gentrified...developments come along because the demographics has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta