U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM

1,202 posts, read 586,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The weather station at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport recorded over 70 inches of precipitation in 2018 while other parts of North Georgia (particularly the mountains of extreme North Georgia which is home to the watersheds for the Chattahoochee and Etowah rivers that supply water to metro Atlanta) appeared receive upwards of 85-90 inches of precipitation in 2018.

… That level of precipitation that was more than twice what Texas metros like Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin receive on average seems like it would be more than adequate for the construction of similar rainfall capture infrastructure on a larger scale in the greater Atlanta region, particularly in parts of the extreme North Georgia Mountains where some areas appear to average upwards of 80 inches of precipitation annually.

Ok you point to a single year. We all have record years of precipitation. I also remember that Georgia/Southeast U.S. drought that occurred several years before 2018 I'm speaking of averages amd the Chattahoochee's water usage is a big legal matter with Alabama and Florida. The last lake built was Lanier 60 years ago done so in anticipation of future needs and flood control. Granted, the area deserves kudos for its efforts on conservation but even L.A. which is twice as large and practiced stringent water management for much longer sees the need for more reservoirs and desalinization plants. I really believe another lake should be the highest of priorities for north Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM

5,287 posts, read 3,505,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Ok you point to a single year. We all have record years of precipitation. I also remember that Georgia/Southeast U.S. drought that occurred several years before 2018 I'm speaking of averages amd the Chattahoochee's water usage is a big legal matter with Alabama and Florida. The last lake built was Lanier 60 years ago done so in anticipation of future needs and flood control. Granted, the area deserves kudos for its efforts on conservation but even L.A. which is twice as large and practiced stringent water management for much longer sees the need for more reservoirs and desalinization plants. I really believe another lake should be the highest of priorities for north Georgia.
Several have been proposed, and each time they have triggered lawsuits from Alabama and Florida.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 AM

777 posts, read 302,852 times
There's one in the early process of construction right now in Paulding County. Another in the early planning stages in Fulton County.

There's going to have to be a disastrous multiyear drought before the political and public will is there to construct desalination plants on the coast and pump that water to Atlanta. It just isn't a very economically feasible plan.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:36 PM

2,039 posts, read 820,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Several have been proposed, and each time they have triggered lawsuits from Alabama and Florida.
Curious though, why would that matter to Florida and Alabama? Wouldn't additional lakes (increasing North Georgia's reservoir capacity) help both states by relieving the amount of demand on the Chattahoochee?

Edit: n/m I think I get it - additional lakes will draw from the Chattahoochee thus reducing capacity for both mentioned states.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 PM

5,233 posts, read 4,283,861 times
There's a nuclear power plant due east of Dothan, Alabama, that sucks water from the Chattahoochee. Interesting that nobody talks about whether it needs to be shut down. (and don't come at me with how much power it produces, I'm strictly talking about its water consumption)

Old 06-10-2019, 06:35 PM

777 posts, read 302,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
There's a nuclear power plant due east of Dothan, Alabama, that sucks water from the Chattahoochee. Interesting that nobody talks about whether it needs to be shut down. (and don't come at me with how much power it produces, I'm strictly talking about its water consumption)
Farley averages an intake of less than 100 million gallons a day. The Atlanta region withdrawals over 400 MGD from the Chattahoochee.

Farley, being an once-through plant, returns >99% of that water back to the river. The Atlanta region returns a much much lower amount to the river.

And just for fun and cause you said not to; Farley produces over 14,000 GW a year. That's nearly 15 Billion kilowatt hours a year.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,505,244 times
I have a lot of friends in Florida, I moved here from there many years ago. These are smart, educated people. I would say 75% of them have been convinced by the media down there that Atlanta is sucking the Chattahoochee dry north of town, and polluting it so badly south of down that's it's killing the oysters in Apalachicola Bay. When they come up for a visit, I make it a point to drive them out to the Palisades. They are totally blown away by the beauty of the river, they're convinced it's been reduced to a dirty stream these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or