U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,028,738 times

Advertisements

[quote=SaraSatin;1697194]

Oh, and jpd, I think the point is to stick the empty bottle in when the tank is empty in such a way that it won't float. Then, it will fill up when the tank fills again and each time the tank flushes however many ounces that are in the bottle will not empty and refill. It saves a little water at a time, but everyone saving a little water at a time could make a big difference. QUOTE]

It's much simpler to just fill the bottle with water, screw the top back on, and throw it in the tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,012,991 times
Well, here in Atlanta, they've been predicting this for years. The Corps need to build another lake.

Considering both were built in the late 50's, we definately need another resevoir.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
If people could develop the habit of using a dishwasher/clothes washer ONLY when they have a full load, they would save a lot of water. It's amazing how many people turn on a dishwasher to wash only 5-6 dishes. Running low on dishes? Why not simply buy another set--and only run the dishwasher after they all get dirty. It will save you $$ in the long run.

There are lots of ways to routinely conserve water. My favorite: Take a shower together! (But be prepared... this might shock your family members.)

Being from S. California, my husband and I have ingrained water-conserving habits. So yes... we take a shower together every morning. It's just a quick in & out & get clean, then turn off the water habit.

We visited his mother last Christmas. In the morning, as is our habit, we jumped in the shower together. She was so shocked she insisted we get a room in a motel!!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,414,775 times
the problem with moving water around is the costs

water following the path of least resistance (which is usually downhill). so, trying to get water from MN to Atlanta might be a bit difficult.

They will def need to create another lake in Ga, but can you imagine the NIMBY screaming?

De-sal is prob the best option, but I don't know how you'd get the water to Atlanta. Prob have to build the plant maybe in NC or SC and let it drain to Atlanta?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 AM

"Well, here in Atlanta, they've been predicting this for years. The Corps need to build another lake."

Interesting idea. Any thoughts on where a good location would be? If a lake is going to be built nearby, that's one good place to buy real estate!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 AM

348 posts, read 929,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
Too bad nobody thought to just siphon off water in flood areas into tankers to refill lakes and dump into rivers to bring water level up some. It does seem a shame that one area could be in such a horrible drought and another be flooded with nothing to do to remedy the two situations other than time...

Oh, and jpd, I think the point is to stick the empty bottle in when the tank is empty in such a way that it won't float. Then, it will fill up when the tank fills again and each time the tank flushes however many ounces that are in the bottle will not empty and refill. It saves a little water at a time, but everyone saving a little water at a time could make a big difference. Reminds me of a show I watched as a kid about a summer camp where one child decided they were all wasting water and hurting the environment... the whole show was about how she was teaching all the other campers ways to save water and help clean up the environment.

By the way, anyone going to try the bottle in the toilet tank thing I would caution to only use one bottle. I was just contemplating how much water you could save if you stuck 2 or more in there and realized that removing too much water will make your toilet less efficient at flushing... not good...

That's exactly my husbands idea Sara! Somehow get it from the flooded areas to the areas in drought...you two should work on that

Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 AM

348 posts, read 929,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"Well, here in Atlanta, they've been predicting this for years. The Corps need to build another lake."

Interesting idea. Any thoughts on where a good location would be? If a lake is going to be built nearby, that's one good place to buy real estate!
Well they better get busy putting that lake in and quick...as fast as land is eaten up with subdivisions and strip malls.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,179,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You need to fill the empty shampoo or water bottle with water or sand before putting it in the toilet tank or else it'll just float, saving you no water at all.
Fine fine that's what I MEANT.. I was hoping people realized that. LOL

Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 AM

Just to be a Devil's Advocate...

How about a reservoir at the Etowah River (between Gober and Ball Ground)?

I don't know that particular area (it just looked relatively unpopulated when looking at a map). What's there that could cause a conflict?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM

234 posts, read 549,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Well, here in Atlanta, they've been predicting this for years. The Corps need to build another lake.

Considering both were built in the late 50's, we definately need another resevoir.

i'd swear i read a couple of years ago in the AJC that one was in development somewhere in the northwest part of the metro -- somewhere around Cobb/Bartow/Cherokee? anyone know anything about that?

i was watching the ABC national news a few days where they showed overheard shots of Alatoona and Lanier. It was astonishing how low they were -- didn't even look like lakes anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or