U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM

919 posts, read 2,911,063 times

Advertisements

I heard that a plant was under way in Marietta for water? Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:47 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
The state should open up some desalinization plants along the coast and then build a water pipeline up to the reservoirs to maintain their water level. Problem solved. Then the metro can continue to add a few more million people a decade.
The trouble with that is the fact that they would have to pump the water about 2000 feet uphill. It would be costly and water bills would probably be 4X what they are now.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,488,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
I heard that a plant was under way in Marietta for water? Is this true?
Hickory Log Creek.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,431,043 times
Varied estimates of Lanier water don't include 'dead pool' | ajc.com (broken link)

80 or 111 days left, not many....

Last edited by crystalblue; 10-31-2007 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Noc

1,439 posts, read 1,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
GEORGIA'S WATER CRISIS: Future lake under attack | ajc.com (broken link)

yall had best start working on a de-sal plant...

Couldn't agree with you more. I can't understand why we are not doing this more in this country as a whole. Yeah it cost a lot of money but it could also pay for itself in the long run.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 AM

1,434 posts, read 4,356,667 times
According to the Gainesville Times this morning (gainesvilletimes.com), we have 288 days of water available in Lake Lanier, including the conservation pool and the rest of the lake water.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
According to the Gainesville Times this morning (gainesvilletimes.com), we have 288 days of water available in Lake Lanier, including the conservation pool and the rest of the lake water.
yeah, but if you look at that link i just posted, thats not the whole picture. a large part of that 288 days is in a "dead zone". hard to get to water, plus it will need more treatment.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 AM

Ga. congressman calls for national water panel | ajc.com (broken link)

The only objections came from lawmakers who worried that any federal involvement might divert water from the Great Lakes, whose water levels are already low.

plan on a huge fight to bring the great lakes states on board...

Old 11-09-2007, 03:44 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,142,150 times
Default North Georgia Drought

From an outsider reading about the Atlanta drought, it seems your "leaders" didn't plan very well for this crisis. I am sure someone was aware of the number of lakes/dams in your area and looked at the increasing population and no bell went off years ago? If you don't get rain soon you will still be o.k. its just life will get tough with rationing, etc. I don't see it as similar to an earthquake, hurricane, etc. like the media is trying to portray! When I watch my local weather station here in Virginia I am more interested in whether you guys are getting rain. A lot of people are talking about it, not just in Atlanta!!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:27 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,488,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
From an outsider reading about the Atlanta drought, it seems your "leaders" didn't plan very well for this crisis. I am sure someone was aware of the number of lakes/dams in your area and looked at the increasing population and no bell went off years ago?
I'm a relative newcomer to the Atlanta area, having only lived here for three years, but it's becoming apparent to me that the situation really isn't that simple.

Even now, an almost completed project (the Hickory Log Creek reservior) is being legally challenged (again, apparently) by folks downstream in Alabama, and I get the distinct impression from local folks that this type of challenge from Alabama and Florida to various proposed solutions in Georgia has been going on for roughly 20 years, and that these legal actions have killed a fairly sizable number of projects.

I'm sure the folks down south of us see things differently, but I can see why the people in Atlanta are extremely frustrated by this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or