U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,062,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina_Zina View Post
I went to Gwinnett/Snellville location today around noon...the line was wrapped around the building & there was a 5 hour wait! There were people still in line who had been there since 7AM. I left...I will try again on Monday. I think the large crowd was due to it being the last Saturday for early voting.
I don't get it. It never takes that long to vote on election day, even before early voting existed. What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 19,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't get it. It never takes that long to vote on election day, even before early voting existed. What's the point?

I know. I think though, with early voting, only a few polling locations are open. And with the campaigns making great efforts to get people to vote early, a lot of people are doing just that. So I think you have a large number of people crowding into 3 or 4 voting centers, thus causing the long lines and long waits. But I agree, waiting 5+ hours kinda defeats the purpose!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 AM

102 posts, read 191,004 times
But that is weird that Dekalb and Fulton lines are moving and Gwinett is taking hours. There was only 1 location last week. One has to ask.... Is this a republican leaning county engaged in discouraging voters by limiting polling locations and polling booths? I am just saying. One of my friends went yesterday who also left because the line was wrapped around the building. Georgia is not even near being a swing state, so I don't know why they would go through the trouble.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM

37 posts, read 39,753 times
I went to the Tax building on Memorial Drive in Decatur today... no wait.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM

924 posts, read 1,172,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz99 View Post
But that is weird that Dekalb and Fulton lines are moving and Gwinett is taking hours. There was only 1 location last week. One has to ask.... Is this a republican leaning county engaged in discouraging voters by limiting polling locations and polling booths? I am just saying. One of my friends went yesterday who also left because the line was wrapped around the building. Georgia is not even near being a swing state, so I don't know why they would go through the trouble.

Why would a county that leans one way or the other try to discourage anyone from voting unless the people who make the decisions are the minority party in the county?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,232,772 times
1 hour and 17 minutes in Sandy Springs at 430pm.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM

22 posts, read 19,894 times
I went back today to the Norcross center...was in & out in 30 minutes

Quote:
I went to Gwinnett/Snellville location today around noon...the line was wrapped around the building & there was a 5 hour wait! There were people still in line who had been there since 7AM. I left...I will try again on Monday. I think the large crowd was due to it being the last Saturday for early voting.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM

738 posts, read 1,155,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelnic View Post
I went to the Tax building on Memorial Drive in Decatur today... no wait.
Me too, no line at all around 8:30 am. Took longer to get over there than it did to actually vote.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,039,916 times
I did early voting in Fulton and it took about 40-45 minutes. I think all the early voting is over now and have the Big Tuesday (11/6). Too bad the polling places had such huge wait times.

Sheesh, it sounds like Gwinnett should have had more than 1 location for early voting considering its overall population of registered voters. I guess this is all run at the county level and some county staff have it more together than others??

I am glad they had it as I couldn't get to vote this Tuesday on election day. It is indeed disappointing hearing that some people waited way over an hour or so. I couldn't have waited more than 2 hours max due to work/scheduling obligations.

And if you cannot get out (or be in the area at the time), the second best option other than early voting would be absentee ballot voting, but you have to request this way in advance.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM

29,345 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Quote:
I know. I think though, with early voting, only a few polling locations are open. And with the campaigns making great efforts to get people to vote early, a lot of people are doing just that. So I think you have a large number of people crowding into 3 or 4 voting centers, thus causing the long lines and long waits. But I agree, waiting 5+ hours kinda defeats the purpose!
I think they also underestimated the number of people who wanted to do early voting and thus there weren't enough poll workers.

When I voted there were about 20 open machines, but there were only a few workers to check people in. The line would have moved much faster if there'd been a way to get past that choke point.

Still, we got through in about 3 hours, which is not as bad as it has been sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta