U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:27 PM

267 posts, read 196,220 times

Advertisements

I just came back from the Atlanta area from visiting family and just curious about the current job market. I currently live in NYC but they want me to quit my job here and move to Atlanta. Personally I would never do this without having something lined up already. Atlanta is a great city but from doing research on the current state of the city the job market is really still struggling...How are people surviving there? My parents think that Atlanta is going to be the next "New York" but I don't see that happening anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM

7,475 posts, read 4,257,765 times
Quote:
My parents think that Atlanta is going to be the next "New York" but I don't see that happening anytime.
Don't say that on here. People will get pissed.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM

267 posts, read 196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Don't say that on here. People will get pissed.
I'm prepared for the comments...lol...but seriously I dont understand what happened to Atlanta. It was a booming city in the mid to late 90's. It's a really great city and has so much potential. Everytime I applied to jobs down there I never get a call back even when using my parents address. I guess there are many qualified people there already.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 PM

7,475 posts, read 4,257,765 times
The job market is lagging behind other parts of the country. The boom years were built on residential/commercial construction. There are goods to be found, my company is looking to hire at least 2, but the competition is fierce.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:52 PM

736 posts, read 626,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
I'm prepared for the comments...lol...but seriously I dont understand what happened to Atlanta. It was a booming city in the mid to late 90's. It's a really great city and has so much potential. Everytime I applied to jobs down there I never get a call back even when using my parents address. I guess there are many qualified people there already.
Agreed. I moved here from Boston in 1994 and the job market was amazing. Anyone who didn't like their job could just quit and get another one. It was a great place to be.

The job market took a bit of a dive here starting with the dotcom bubble around 2000. There was a mini recession around 2002 but even then, it wasn't too bad until the big recession hit. Starting in 2007-2008, it really hit the skids, and we're still trying to recover. Atlanta doesn't have the highest unemployment rate in the country, but it's still on the high side. People with degrees and years of experience are still unemployed and underemployed. There are indeed a lot of qualified (and overqualified) applicants for each job.

It's awesome that you are so optimistic about moving here and about the city in general. However, I strongly recommend you find a job here before moving, unless you have a lot of savings or other means of support. It could be another 2-3 years before we see any real improvement.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,936,057 times
Its not great, but I'm actually getting more optimistic from where we were a year ago.

We're growing again. The catch is the recession hit us much harder than most metro areas, so we have more room to make up for and we still more work on wage recovery. We are also overly down on ourselves sometimes, because we were so use to being this rapidly growing city and not what we are used to.

I'm less worried about our long-term prospects than I was.

You still need to try to line up a job -first-. It is kind of ... if you have a job why quit until you have the next one? To me it is worth keeping the stability, but paying for a few flights down here and back to to interview. (You need to visit the folks on the weekend anyways right?)

I also think there is a bigger difference here between those with college degrees and those without... more so than the US average.

Industries doing better are in retail, wholesale trading, management/professional. It seems like manufacturing is just starting to turn around. Information and Finance industries have turned around, but slow to recover lost ground, which probably means we already have an abundance of employees for that. I also wouldn't come here for construction just yet. There are signs the housing inventory is getting tighter and might have just bottomed out and is starting to rebound, but if so... its too early to tell if its going to stay that way.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM

1,001 posts, read 959,187 times
Quote:
I just came back from the Atlanta area from visiting family and just curious about the current job market. I currently live in NYC but they want me to quit my job here and move to Atlanta. Personally I would never do this without having something lined up already. Atlanta is a great city but from doing research on the current state of the city the job market is really still struggling...How are people surviving there? My parents think that Atlanta is going to be the next "New York" but I don't see that happening anytime.
You have asked this before on this forum. Are your parents bugging you that much about moving?

Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,943,554 times
Quote:
My parents think that Atlanta is going to be the next "New York" but I don't see that happening anytime
Your parents couldn't be any more wrong. Atlanta will never be the next New York. Because nothing will. New York is New York and there is never going to be a New York Jr.

If you have a job there and can afford the cost of living, there's no reason to move.

It's also pretty difficult to summarize the "job market" because it is dependent on your industry. If you are a real estate agent, then yeah, the job market here is pretty awful. If you are a cardiovascular surgeon, then I'm sure you will be able to walk into a job without any problem. What you can or can't get just depend on what your skills and experience are.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 AM

195 posts, read 147,176 times
Quote:
Everytime I applied to jobs down there I never get a call back even when using my parents address. I guess there are many qualified people there already.
I'm in the job market too due to a lay-off and in Atlanta, it really depends on your network. Fortunately, two jobs ago I worked at a company with a ton of turnover so I have a decent network from there and then I also tap into Emory's network as I went to Goizueta. Without these two factors, I wouldn't have received any attention. For reference, I'm looking for management positions focusing on data analysis. I have an engineering degree and an MBA.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:55 AM

876 posts, read 1,174,663 times
I think the job market in Atlanta really depends on these factors:

1. How far you are a long in your career? Entry level, mid-level.
2. Your industry (probably matters the most)
3. What type of job are you willing to take?
4. Local network / people you know

You can get a job in Atlanta, but these factors above matter quite a bit for the job-seeking individual. If you work in construction or real estate, bad prospects. If you are in retail or hospitality, you have better possibilities. In late 2012, just depends on several combining factors and your own efforts in applying. Either way, apply to as many jobs as possible. I would even go after anything entry level. Everyone's situation is quite different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta