Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times

Advertisements

The 7 Venue is a Christian based all aged music venue that has been around since about 2005. It does wonderful thing for local acts and it hosts many big national touring acts. It's also a clean safe place for youths to hang out. This really is an important venue to the Atlanta metro music scene. Sadly, the state wants to tear it down for a new Fairburn road. This will happen in about 90 days.

The thing is the state won't give them all the money the sunk into it to make it a small- to mid sized concert venue. This event has an e-mail address and instructions on how to help the lawyer get the venue the money it needs to relocate.

Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
so... we are complaining about a mostly youth group oriented small stage that moved into an old, struggling strip mall in Douglassville?

No offense intended, nor am I arguing I don't support its purpose, but "an important venue to the Atlanta metro music scene"....

I think we are playing it up a bit much now.

There are alot of reasons why many businesses choose not to sink money into an aging strip mall, unless the whole strip is brought up to par.

Governments pay market value, not necessarily what a non-profit or business chose to pay into it.

Also, did they rent or buy the strip mall?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
so... we are complaining about a mostly youth group oriented small stage that moved into an old, struggling strip mall in Douglassville?

No offense intended, nor am I arguing I don't support its purpose, but "an important venue to the Atlanta metro music scene"....

I think we are playing it up a bit much now.

There are alot of reasons why many businesses choose not to sink money into an aging strip mall, unless the whole strip is brought up to par.

Governments pay market value, not necessarily what a non-profit or business chose to pay into it.

Also, did they rent or buy the strip mall?

1. It's a 1200 person capacity venue. It isn't the freakin Tabernacle, but that's why it's important to the local music scene. Bands don't start off at the Tabernacle or even Masquerade. It also isn't just based on a youth group. It's open to all genres but generally focuses on metal or hardcore punk.

2. Governments should compensate what the business looses and needs to relocate if they are just going to come in and knock it down. How on earth is that fair or protecting property rights?

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 10-29-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
1. It's a 1200 person capasity venue. It isn't the freakin Tabernacle, but that's why it's important to the local music scene. Bands don't start off at the Tabernacle or even Masquerade. It also isn't just based on a youth group. It's open to all genres but generally focuses on metal or hardcore punk.

2. Governments should compensate what the business looses and needs to relocate if they are just going to come in and knock it down. How on earth is that fair or protecting property rights?
yea but the venue obviously located there, because it was a cheap aging strip mall. There are tons of small to midsize venues... not to mention whats available in churches themselves, so the Atlanta music scene isn't exactly in jeopordy.

This is also in Douglasville. I don't exactly see this directly as a roads vs transit issue. Even with transit the main drags into town and to a freeway interchange will be busy corridors.

But... we are talking about compensation...

Were they renting or owning? Either is possible, but I ask since typically strip malls are rented and it affects compensation.

It is also not the governments fault if a property owner over-improves a property beyond market value. If it was almost every public investment project would be far more expensive, because every property would try to get peak value of their property regardless of when it was or what improvements they made. It would also mean every struggling and aging business would get paid for bad business decisions at the cost of the tax payer.

The other thing I'm curious about with the renting aspect...

The property is set back from the road a good bit. It might be possible the owner of the strip mall claimed you need to take the whole lot or none of it and it was possible to just have them buy a portion of the lot. The property owner might have saw it as a good time to get out of the property and think a median was going to lower the property value anyways.

If this is the case the real beef if with the owner, not the government.... even if the owner tries to pass blame on to the state.

If they are the owner... I would go back to the state and see if the building can be saved. I bet it could and would be lower cost to the state.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
yea but the venue obviously located there, because it was a cheap aging strip mall. There are tons of small to midsize venues... not to mention whats available in churches themselves, so the Atlanta music scene isn't exactly in jeopordy.

This is also in Douglasville. I don't exactly see this directly as a roads vs transit issue. Even with transit the main drags into town and to a freeway interchange will be busy corridors.

But... we are talking about compensation...

Were they renting or owning? Either is possible, but I ask since typically strip malls are rented and it affects compensation.

It is also not the governments fault if a property owner over-improves a property beyond market value. If it was almost every public investment project would be far more expensive, because every property would try to get peak value of their property regardless of when it was or what improvements they made. It would also mean every struggling and aging business would get paid for bad business decisions at the cost of the tax payer.

The other thing I'm curious about with the renting aspect...

The property is set back from the road a good bit. It might be possible the owner of the strip mall claimed you need to take the whole lot or none of it and it was possible to just have them buy a portion of the lot. The property owner might have saw it as a good time to get out of the property and think a median was going to lower the property value anyways.

If this is the case the real beef if with the owner, not the government.... even if the owner tries to pass blame on to the state.

If they are the owner... I would go back to the state and see if the building can be saved. I bet it could and would be lower cost to the state.

1. You obviously, don't follow the genres of music played if you think loosing this place isn't a big deal.

2. I'm sure if you owned a business and were told that it was going to be torn down for a public park and they were only going to give the worth of the building and no moving expenses or anything to help you relocate you would not be cool with that .

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Something isn't right, here.

If they rented the building....well, that's just tough. There's no guarantee that your lease will ever be renewed and that's the risk you take by renting and not owning. If you decide to remodel and sink significant money into a property you don't own, you have to know that you might lose some or all of that investment.

If they own the building, they can argue that what they have done to the building has increased its value and demand fair market value for what the building is worth with the improvements. They could probably tie that up in court for years, and I'm sure the state would just pay a fair value to avoid that.

It's hard to aruge that a small venue in a Douglasville strip mall is important to the Atlanta metro music scene.

If you think that is bad, think about what happened to the poor people who ran Vision. They dropped millions of dollars on the space and made it absolutely beautiful as anybody who went to Vision surely remembers. Then a year or two later they were told, "Oh, we're turning this space into condos now. And we don't want a club here, so pack it up and get out." I don't know how much they were able to salvage, but I'm sure they weren't happy.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:55 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
I never even heard of this place so how is it important to the Atlanta metro music scene? Let's not use hyperboles to further gain support for this cause.

I even fail to see how transit 'loudly' kills this venue and as we all know, I'm one of the biggest supporters for new transit here in Atlanta.

Sadly, I'm not very convinced.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Something isn't right, here.

If they rented the building....well, that's just tough. There's no guarantee that your lease will ever be renewed and that's the risk you take by renting and not owning. If you decide to remodel and sink significant money into a property you don't own, you have to know that you might lose some or all of that investment.

If they own the building, they can argue that what they have done to the building has increased its value and demand fair market value for what the building is worth with the improvements. They could probably tie that up in court for years, and I'm sure the state would just pay a fair value to avoid that.

It's hard to aruge that a small venue in a Douglasville strip mall is important to the Atlanta metro music scene.

If you think that is bad, think about what happened to the poor people who ran Vision. They dropped millions of dollars on the space and made it absolutely beautiful as anybody who went to Vision surely remembers. Then a year or two later they were told, "Oh, we're turning this space into condos now. And we don't want a club here, so pack it up and get out." I don't know how much they were able to salvage, but I'm sure they weren't happy.
It's hard to argue its importance if you aren't really into music and only care about top 40 bands that play at Midtown music and Tabernacle. Otherwise, it's easy to see and hopefully some people reading this do.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I never even heard of this place so how is it important to the Atlanta metro music scene? Let's not use hyperboles to further gain support for this cause.

I even fail to see how transit 'loudly' kills this venue and as we all know, I'm one of the biggest supporters for new transit here in Atlanta.

Sadly, I'm not very convinced.
I made a typo do to auto-correct.

If you are only into rap or top 40 then you would not know.

http://the7venue.com/

Old 10-29-2012, 05:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
It's hard to argue its importance if you aren't really into music and only care about top 40 bands that play at Midtown music and Tabernacle. Otherwise, it's easy to see and hopefully some people reading this do.
So, because he doesn't necessarily support this cause, you're going to jump straight to conclusions and assume he really isn't into music and only cares about bands that play at higher-class venues?

That's a great way to gain support there, champ. Keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta