Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM

472 posts, read 805,204 times

Advertisements

I've noticed some ill-feeling towards UGA from the community here. Top party school? Most drinkers? Really? Those are the rankings you all pay attention to? How about highest production of Rhode scholars? UGA has produced 21 Rhode scholars. Tech has produced 2. GSU has none. UGA founders signed the constitution of this country. How about being ranked 11th for the most up-and-coming school? These party school ranks are arbitrary used to sell magazines. I want to take a minute to inform you all about some of the changes at UGA.

UGA is GROWING and the University wants support from it's state(you). In order for us to improve our state and country, we need to utilize our universities. UGA, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, even Emory(private school) need your support. Take a minute to look at how UGA has grown and will continue to grow with or without the support of it's greater community. I'm not making this a thread to compete with Georgia Tech or any other school. Let me be clear on that! I'm simply informing you all on the facts for you to make up your feelings towards UGA.

The University of Georgia's growth outlined(links provided)

White applicants to medical school(UGA is 7th in the nation. This doesn't even account for the fact that UGA's undergrad population, while large, is NOT in the top ten):
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appl...42/table2.html

Black applicants(higher than GSU and many Georgia HBCUs which have a much higher percentage of AA. INCLUDING Morehouse who have their own medical school)
https://www.aamc.org/download/161090/data/table2-1.pdf

Asian applicants(we're higher than Tech even with their massive Asian/foreign population):
https://www.aamc.org/download/161114/data/table2-6.pdf

Interestingly enough, many UGA students are pre-med/dental/pharmacy biology or chemistry majors. While the figures above don't represent ACCEPTANCES to medical school, it does say something considering the fact that UGA's TOTAL UNDERGRADUATE population is not even in the top ten - let alone the medical school applicants. Acceptances are rarely published due to privacy issues. UGA has a pre-medical board which is staffed by seasoned professionals including an actual MD who oversee all medical school applications. This attributes to a high acceptance rate by students as well. If the pre-med committee doesn't think the student has what it takes they may reject writing the letter and sending the application out. This is just one of MANY ways the University helps it's students. Betcha didn't know that. Tech and GSU do not have MDs or any professionals on their pre-medical committee.
OVPI - Premedical Studies Program

Tech's pre-health committee
Home | Pre-health Advising at Georgia Tech

The University's specialty is no longer just in the liberal arts, law or business, it's in the health sciences. UGA is expanding it's programs in biology and chemistry ten fold. Both programs are highly ranked by US News. Both programs have high citation rates. UGA College of Pharmacy just introduced a new pharmaceutical science major for undergrads. The University has expanded it's vet school and is planning for more advancements.
UGA to hold groundbreaking for new veterinary teaching complex | UGA Today

This fall the University will be starting construction on a new isotope research facility.
Isotope Studies Building | University Architects

In 2010 the UGA-GHSU medical partnership opened a brand new medical school campus in Athens. This is extremely beneficial both for the physician population of the state, patient populations in Athens and in the state and the students at both schools. GHSU has nearly 70% of it's students remaining in Georgia. We're in a national and state-wide physician crisis. This is very important for the well being of the state. This also gives UGA more easily facilitated research projects with MCG. The college of Public Health was established in 05 and this will also benefit public health students who also reside on the UGA-GHSU medical campus.

GHSU | UGA Medical Partnership

The University's highly ranked and highly regarded pharmacy school boasts some of the highest NAPLEX pass rates(a test similar to medical and dental board exams) in the nation - higher than the number one "ranked" school USCF. They ALSO conduct PLENTY of research in pharmacy, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry and biotechnology. The business relations with pharmaceutical companies is growing in Athens and in Georgia. A $1.3 BILLION UGA start-up company graduates but stays in Athens. UGA is doing all it can to help bolster it's local economy and the economy at large. Betcha didn't catch that during GA-FL game?

$1.3 billion UGA start-up company graduates but stays in Athens | UGA Today
School Pass Rate - National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®)

The University's vet school is ranked in the top 10 - also a big research powerhouse. The vet school is a big attraction for people interested in animal science, pre-vet med, zoology or marine biology. The University plans to build it's vet school further this year.
UGA to hold groundbreaking for new veterinary teaching complex | UGA Today
Best Veterinary Medicine Programs | Top Veterinary Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

UGA has introduced a new undergraduate degree in pharmaceutical science just recently. UGA has opened the College of Engineering this summer. The College of Public Health has been established etc. etc. While the engineering program isn't anywhere near the level of Tech or Michigan's engineering program, the biological, agricultural, environmental and chemical engineering programs are all highly regarded. The biological engineering program is ranked 11th in the nation.

The University has increased it's enrollment significantly while TOPPING it's freshman profile every year for 15 out of 16 consecutive years that Dr. Adams has taken the reigns(it looks like it'll be 16/16 years). UGA's averages for Class of 2016:
Advice about the UGA Admission Process: 2012 Admitted Freshman Statistics

The school has also increased the average GPA for it's transfer students - something rare at any university.

The University plans to significantly expand on it's health science, engineering, environmental programs as well as the business, journalism, and policy study programs. There has already been an approved budget for the building of a new home for Terry College of Business. UGA has had a campus at Oxford University(ring a bell) in the UK since 1989. Along with the Costa Rica campus, students are able to have far more opportunities to study abroad than ever before.
Terry Business Learning Community - Phase I | University Architects
UGA at Oxford

Our honors program is one of the most esteemed honors programs in the nation. It's very hard to get in. The honors program gives you an oppurtunity to participate in undergrad research, have smaller class sizes and meet fellow honors students with these. I know plenty of high caliber students who got into Ivy League schools who chose UGA's honors over other programs. Zell Miller, HOPE and the Honors College has really helped UGA improve over the years.
http://publicuniversityhonors.com/20...nors-programs/

UGA is indeed LOSING it's party school name

UGA use to be "ranked" number 1 "party" school, then number 2, and now 5th party school in the country. We're old, we're southern, we're football. That doesn't mean we don't study and learn while we're at it. UGA is a great place to go to college - if you want to remain balanced. I anticipate UGA to continue to push against the party school scene in the up-coming years. Now, there's no way that this party scene will ever go away. We're not about to become BYU overnight! But for you conservative parents who aren't in touch with the latest in college scenes(i.e. knowing that parties exist EVERYWHERE especially Harvard University for those of you who do not know..), just know that your son/daughter has plenty of people to meet and things to do that don't have alcohol as a pre-requisite. If it's your thing, do it, if it isn't then don't.

UGA falls again in party-school ranking | Online Athens

You can find greatness at every school in the country from Harvard to GPC. You can also find a lot of fail. Now, I'm not saying UGA isn't a party school or that we're on par with Harvard. We still get 'er done here in Athens. I'll assure you there. But, we're still making strides in improving the school. We're up-and-coming and let me be clear - we're comin'

Fortunately, the Board of Regents have given UGA the biggest budget of any school in the state. As Michael Adams steps down as President of the University, he is still trying to raise money for the school..sadly it hasn't been enough(sorry for the wikipidea cite).
University System of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UGA fundraising lags behind other institutions - The Red and Black : News: uga, fundraising, fundraise, $100 million,

Diversity at UGA is improving. Our Asian population has grown 50% since 2005. Our Hispanic population has grown considerably. Hispanic enrollment went up 13% at UGA in the past year alone. Our OOS population has gone up - no doubt due to the economic tides and our improving school name.

University enrollment drops, but some ethnic groups close gap | Online Athens

I hope this thread has given you some insight into how UGA's reputation is growing as well as it's presence in the world of academia. UGA is a great place to send you kids to college. This party school nonsense is really nerving. It's application time and there's a lot of pressure on our kids to get into a good school that's going to reward them in the end.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I already anticipate some GT troll. Feel free to PM me if you have personal or specific questions you don't want to post about.

Once again, I didn't mean to attack any other school in this thread. It's hard figuring out the truth these days. The fact is, we're expericing a tuition bubble. Where you go matters more than before. College degrees are a dime-o-dozen. It's the new high school diploma.

May the odds be ever in your favor. Good luck to any parents or students applying to colleges this year UGA or other.

Go dawgs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,074,475 times
Obvious subtle attempt at promoting UGA. I haven't seen anyone complain about UGA on this forum. Everyone knows UGA is a good school. I really don't understand why you felt the need to post this.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM

472 posts, read 805,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Obvious subtle attempt at promoting UGA. I haven't seen anyone complain about UGA on this forum. Everyone knows UGA is a good school. I really don't understand why you felt the need to post this.
This post is for parents and students. As the 15/16 years and FL-GA game this weekend will show, UGA doesn't really need any promoting. I'm just trying to inform the community at large about some of the lesser known improvements at UGA. Will probably make one for Georgia State and Georgia Southern(this one is going to be a blast) in the near future.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...d-diggers.html

Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,890,590 times
what a great place to party

Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,335,555 times
You went to all that trouble to try to convince people UGA is good at some things?

Really?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM

402 posts, read 700,819 times
Hmm, I was in Athens two weeks ago. Still seemed full of booze, drugs, and slutty women... Guess I'll check out the library next time.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,687,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
You went to all that trouble to try to convince people UGA is good at some things?

Really?
Alot better than some people who aren't very neighborly and spend a similar effort to put UGA down...

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Alot better than some people who aren't very neighborly and spend a similar effort to put UGA down...
UGA is a very good backup school.

Last edited by gtcorndog; 10-29-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,687,817 times
see how sad and insecure he looks after awhile.... :/

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
see how sad and insecure he looks after awhile.... :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta