U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

32 posts, read 107,878 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the atlanta area from south fla. We are looking for a little peace and quiet, but close to shopping etc.... We are looking to move the 08-09 school year and I was wondering what county would give us the best chances to get teaching jobs. We are in good schools now and want it to continue in Atlanta.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM

1,431 posts, read 4,340,330 times
Gwinnett hires an average of 1500 teachers each year, but I don't know if you would get much peace and quiet here - it's not exactly out in the country.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:38 AM

167 posts, read 690,188 times
The test scores in Gwinnett are nearly equivalent to the test scores in Cobb. There are great schools and not so great schools, which is the same for Cobb County. However, Gwinnett is more urban than what many people think of for the suburbs. Meaning, it's definitely not the country. There are definitely opportunities for teachers.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 10,283 times
Smile why gwinnett/cobb?

I recently moved here from Orlando (Orange County) about a year ago, and my step mom moved up about 4 years ago from Orlando too.

I have talked to her a lot about this, and Cherokee County is the best. They have really good pay, and I don't know how far into your career you are, but they take most of your years there too.

I have lived in Cherokee County, and I live in Gwinnett now, Cherokee was much more pretty, and family friendly. It is just as far from Atlanta as Gwinnett is. I would check it out there... and make sure you visit Towne Lake. It is a very nice neighborhood, and the prices are very reasonable (compared to Florida!)

Hope this helps!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,148,991 times
If you are bilingual (Spanish/English) or multilingual, then Gwinnett is better for teachers jobs, and you'll be in higher demand. I think on one news report they said there was one school in Duluth that had kids from 41 different countries in it! It's the most diverse area among the metro burbs. Gwinnett does however, have some of the worst traffic in the metro area too, and in some areas, a growing crime problem.

That being said, the foreign population is also growing in Cobb, Paulding, and other counties, so again, bilingual teacher demands are increasing in those areas, too. Paulding is the most "country" of the immediate areas I would guess. In Paulding the main shopping area is in the town of Hiram - tons of stores and restaurants along Hwy 278 (though mostly of the chain variety). In Cobb there are various shopping districts and in Gwinnett it's pretty much fully developed everywhere.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 27,017 times
I love Gwinnett, however it is becoming the little asian town. Norcross is the worst. I used to live there in the late 80's and it was the place to be if you were young and a go getter. Try driving down Buford Highway now and you can't even read the signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or