U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM

1,616 posts, read 734,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Many winter predictions by many well-know mets. have the southeast region(particularly, the Atlanta area) as having below average temperatures and above average precipitation. Storm tracks have many lows sliding across the northern Gulf coast which are favorable for storm systems to bring enough cold air aloft to bring the 0 c temperature gradient to the Atlanta area and thus turning any rain to snow.

What would really depend on if we get snow is blocking in the arctic, particularly Greenland and riding out in the west to funnel artic cold air down south.
You mean like what happened in early 2010? I hope so. That weather pattern actually brought snow to parts of southern GA too. The town where I live in had it's first real snow (2" or more) in over 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM

6,626 posts, read 9,807,428 times
Hopefully some snow. Less days of work, the better.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,316,555 times
Hey, at least we will get a chance to see if there is any truth to global warming and with any luck , we will get some here in January.....but.....I......Digress.........on a brighter note, we will be able to demonstrate to New Yorkers how to prepare for impending, inclement weather. Apparently they struggle with this...

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM

2,357 posts, read 3,544,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Hey, at least we will get a chance to see if there is any truth to global warming and with any luck , we will get some here in January.....but.....I......Digress.........on a brighter note, we will be able to demonstrate to New Yorkers how to prepare for impending, inclement weather. Apparently they struggle with this...
Yes, please educate us on how to prepare for impending, inclement weather. I'm interested in the dichotomy between preparing for one of the worst storms to hit the northeast in recorded history, versus a storm that may dump 3" of snow, or what we refer to as, "a chance of flurries."

Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM

6,612 posts, read 5,323,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Yes, please educate us on how to prepare for impending, inclement weather. I'm interested in the dichotomy between preparing for one of the worst storms to hit the northeast in recorded history, versus a storm that may dump 3" of snow, or what we refer to as, "a chance of flurries."
Yeah, Sandy was a storm that we usually get a couple of per year in the South...that's what he was talking about. We are experienced in how to prepare for those, much as people in the Northeast know how to prepare for snow. It's not all that different, but be indignant if you feel like it.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 AM

2,357 posts, read 3,544,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah, Sandy was a storm that we usually get a couple of per year in the South...that's what he was talking about. We are experienced in how to prepare for those, much as people in the Northeast know how to prepare for snow. It's not all that different, but be indignant if you feel like it.
I'm well aware about summertime thunderstorms in Atlanta. I spent the first couple decades of my life there. We get thunderstorms during the summer here frequently that I would say on the average are slightly less powerful than ones in Atlanta, but generally on par with them.

The rain wasn't the issue with Sandy. It was the recorded 94 mile per hour wind gusts and the storm surge. Until Atlanta is surrounded by water, a storm could never produce effects there like what we got hit with up here.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,111,844 times
To those wishing for snow: I am going to put on my Walls coveralls, face mask, and Hitek boots. Calmly hunt you down and blast you all with snow balls! Yellow snowballs! You want snow? Go to Snow Mountain! Purchase your ticket in advance.

Tongue in cheek people. I wouldn't blast you with a yellow snowball.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,233,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
To those wishing for snow: I am going to put on my Walls coveralls, face mask, and Hitek boots. Calmly hunt you down and blast you all with snow balls! Yellow snowballs! You want snow? Go to Snow Mountain! Purchase your ticket in advance.

Tongue in cheek people. I wouldn't blast you with a yellow snowball.
That's just nasty.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 PM

11,321 posts, read 20,028,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Hopefully some snow. Less days of work, the better.
One of the nice things about telecommuting is that I don't have to drive to work in order to work if there's snowstorm.

One of the bad things about telecommuting is that I don't have to drive to work in order to work if there's a snowstorm.

Thankfully, I love my job, so...

Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 AM

6,626 posts, read 9,807,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
One of the nice things about telecommuting is that I don't have to drive to work in order to work if there's snowstorm.

One of the bad things about telecommuting is that I don't have to drive to work in order to work if there's a snowstorm.

Thankfully, I love my job, so...
You are lucky that you like your job so much. I wouldn't say that I like my job. It's more so tolerable.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta