Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
This is not just an Atlanta thing. It's not even a driving thing. In NYC couples break up over having to travel from Uptown to Downtown. Forget about inter-borough friendships and romance.
I agree, I think it's psychological. I met a guy once who refused to date anyone who lived OTP, which boggled me. But I suspect that was less about distance than ITP snobbery.

Sure, during rush hour, everything's a mess. On a bad day I've had it take me 45 minutes just to drive the 6 miles from Kirkwood to downtown (<6 miles), and 3 hours to get downtown from Ball Ground (50 miles). But non-rush-hour, Atlanta is really easy to get around. I can drive from northern Cherokee to the airport in under 40 minutes.

Maybe I lived out in The Middle Of Nowhere for so long that I got used to long distances, I dunno. I just don't see distance as a good reason not to see friends, or to get out and do stuff. Even from Ball Ground, I made it over to see my friends in Loganville and Monroe pretty regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
I can drive from northern Cherokee to the airport in under 40 minutes.
At 2am and speeding like hell?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I agree, I think it's psychological. I met a guy once who refused to date anyone who lived OTP, which boggled me. But I suspect that was less about distance than ITP snobbery.

Sure, during rush hour, everything's a mess. On a bad day I've had it take me 45 minutes just to drive the 6 miles from Kirkwood to downtown (<6 miles), and 3 hours to get downtown from Ball Ground (50 miles). But non-rush-hour, Atlanta is really easy to get around. I can drive from northern Cherokee to the airport in under 40 minutes.

Maybe I lived out in The Middle Of Nowhere for so long that I got used to long distances, I dunno. I just don't see distance as a good reason not to see friends, or to get out and do stuff. Even from Ball Ground, I made it over to see my friends in Loganville and Monroe pretty regularly.

W-h-e-r-e's Logan-ville?

(Recent transplants need not respond )

Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I reckon
55.7 mi, 1 hour 2 mins
In current traffic: 1 hour 14 mins
I-75 N and I-575 N

>Cherokee Airport to Hartsfield<

Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
The way people treat each other on the roads is awful. Not only is it time-consuming and expensive, it's stressful in a new way. I see at least 2 incidents of road rage on 400 every day on my commute to and from work. I never know from which direction the next car is coming. I've seen accidents and close calls, people flipping each other off. Get people behind the wheel of their automobiles and all decency disappears and selfishness rules the day. To get home and want to get out and do it all over again is a bit much. I get out, but plan the drives carefully.

Anyways, I suspect that your acquaintances may feel the same way.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post

You do get used to the distance driving... I come down from Blairsville to the city regularly to see my son. Typically an hour and 45 minutes to two hours from Blairsville to North Druid Hills...

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
The way people treat each other on the roads is awful. Not only is it time-consuming and expensive, it's stressful in a new way.
That is why I choose to take MARTA. People treat each other with respect, men giving up seats for ladies and kids and its stress free. Sometimes, very rarely during rush hour is there every someone playing loud music without headphones. I am impressed with the way people treat each other that use MARTA regularly.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Nope. At 11am, or 6am, or 2pm, or 7pm, at cruising speed in my Acura - which is about 72 mph.

Quote:
That is why I choose to take MARTA. People treat each other with respect, men giving up seats for ladies and kids and its stress free. Sometimes, very rarely during rush hour is there every someone playing loud music without headphones. I am impressed with the way people treat each other that use MARTA regularly.
This would be especially awesome if MARTA actually went anywhere. We really, really need proper commuter rail service OTP.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Nope. At 11am, or 6am, or 2pm, or 7pm, at cruising speed in my Acura - which is about 72 mph
Then that is amazing and I am shocked.
Quote:
We really, really need proper commuter rail service OTP.
Yes we do!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Then that is amazing and I am shocked.
It's not amazing or shocking, it's just...not as prohibitively far as people assume. That's what I mean when I say it's psychological. Outside of rush hour, almost everything in the metro area is pretty accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta