Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,436 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to downtown Atlanta since I work in downtown. I went to see a condo in the Healey Building. I do like the open space, high ceiling, and big windows. However, I noticed that all windows are sealed and there is no vent above the stove. I wonder how this affects the air quality inside. I am Chinese so I occasionally make stir fry but no more than a couple times a month. I wonder if I will trigger the fire alarm and where does all the cooking smell goes. Will they stay in the room?

The unit I looked also have no window covering. The windows are really big. The unit has no privacy issue since is it higher than other nearby buildings. However, I worry about the morning sun. Previous resident didn't have any window covering at all. Is this common in the building? I will rent so I don't want to spend a lot of money to furnish a rental property. Large window covering would be hard for me to install and can be expensive.

I also want to know if the building is energy efficient since it is old. Do original windows insulate well in summer to block out the heat?

My last question - parking. I own a car. I know that residents can park in the nearby building for a fee. I am fine with that but I wonder how people deal with hauling groceries and large items from the parking lot to the unit. Do people find parking in nearby building inconvenient? Is the public parking garage safe? I don't have a fancy car but it is fairly new. I love my car and I do need it at least twice a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM

13 posts, read 22,307 times
I am also looking at buying a unit in the Healey building. From one of the residents, I learned that in a couple years they may refit all of the windows so they open.

Right now, most units rely on air purifiers. There is an internal air vent/filter in the microwave above the counter -- but nothing above the standalone cooktops.

I viewed one apartment where the owner had somehow pried the window so that it would open. But I saw other units where owners had tried the same with complete failure and chipped up the window frame in the process

Tell the landlord you want HIM to install the window treatments. If you face East or West, you will certainly have very bright light pouring in.

One of your concerns should be security. The building has a 24/7 concierge, but the neighborhood is plagued by, mostly, petty crime. But then, a friend of mine just got robbed at gunpoint in Decatur! Just be aware.

Parking/Groceries - I guess you use one of the public parking spaces out in front (and pay the meter) to unload your groceries and then return your car to the garage about 1 1/2 blocks away.

P.S. How much rent are they asking? The homeowner's fee in this building is $460 a month. I think it's worth it, love the building -- but I think it would make rents pretty steep!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM

166 posts, read 324,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbunny View Post
I am thinking about moving to downtown Atlanta since I work in downtown. I went to see a condo in the Healey Building. I do like the open space, high ceiling, and big windows. However, I noticed that all windows are sealed and there is no vent above the stove. I wonder how this affects the air quality inside. I am Chinese so I occasionally make stir fry but no more than a couple times a month. I wonder if I will trigger the fire alarm and where does all the cooking smell goes. Will they stay in the room?

The unit I looked also have no window covering. The windows are really big. The unit has no privacy issue since is it higher than other nearby buildings. However, I worry about the morning sun. Previous resident didn't have any window covering at all. Is this common in the building? I will rent so I don't want to spend a lot of money to furnish a rental property. Large window covering would be hard for me to install and can be expensive.

I also want to know if the building is energy efficient since it is old. Do original windows insulate well in summer to block out the heat?

My last question - parking. I own a car. I know that residents can park in the nearby building for a fee. I am fine with that but I wonder how people deal with hauling groceries and large items from the parking lot to the unit. Do people find parking in nearby building inconvenient? Is the public parking garage safe? I don't have a fancy car but it is fairly new. I love my car and I do need it at least twice a week.
Awesome! Finally, a re-location question I can answer. I'm buzzed.

So anyhoo -- I live in the Healey Building and it's a super cool place. You're correct, there is no vent and windows don't open and that can be a problem. We get around it by propping open the front door if we burn food or something. The hallway serves as our fresh air (and it works well). The fire alarm has never been triggered by our food cooking and the cooking smells dissipate quickly in the hallway (meaning we don't stink up the halls).

Other people in the building have had work done on their windows so that they can open. I don't know how much that costs, though. The big loft-like windows do let in a lot of sun. We have cloth window coverings and they do the trick. It's really the same kind of thing you'd deal with in any loft-type space. Vampires would definitely have a problem here, but we do all right.

As for groceries, you just have to switch into big city mode. Pretend you live in Brooklyn or Paris and buy small loads frequently that you can easily get inside. It's actually a pretty cool way to shop and we've adjusted to it well, even with a kid.

You can send me a personal message if you want more info, I'll be happy to answer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearscout View Post
One of your concerns should be security. The building has a 24/7 concierge, but the neighborhood is plagued by, mostly, petty crime. But then, a friend of mine just got robbed at gunpoint in Decatur! Just be aware.
Always be smart and safe in a big city. Good advice. But there is no plague of petty crime in this immediate neighborhood (not that we know of or have experienced, anyway). In fact, the presence of City of Atlanta, GSU and MARTA cops all in this one zone keeps things reasonably safe for a big-city area like this.

Last edited by ATL Urbanist; 01-31-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,741,279 times
Wanted to add about groceries, you could always get one of those silver folding carts to unload groceries. I lived in a highrise building in my hometown before and we weren't lucky to have parking on the same street so we had to park behind our building on another street. I got one of the silver folding carts for groceries, put them all in there and just rolled them across the street to the building. It was actually pretty simple if you don't mind using the carts.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM

876 posts, read 2,268,419 times
I liked living in Downtown Atlanta, but most of my friends did not care for it. It is a lifestyle that many do not care for. You definitely are in a niche preference for metro Atlanta. I hope you can get a deal in the Healey Building but for most, although, IMHO I think renting is probably a better option right now.

Have you ever lived in an Urban area like that? Just curious.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
I know nothing about the Healey building other than it is a beautiful old historic building.

I hate to sound like a crazy paranoid person, but I would have a great deal of apprehension about living somewhere that does not have windows that open. What if there is a gas leak?

I'm assuming there is no other way to get outside air. If the units all have terraces and sliding glass doors that can be opened, I wouldn't worry. However, if there is absolutely no way at all to get fresh air from outside in, I would not like that at all. Cooking odors, people who smoke, just old stale air....purifiers can only do so much, you need some degree of fresh air circulation to stay healthy.

If you can't get any fresh air, I wouldn't do it. Maybe that's just being weird?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:14 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I know nothing about the Healey building other than it is a beautiful old historic building.

I hate to sound like a crazy paranoid person, but I would have a great deal of apprehension about living somewhere that does not have windows that open. What if there is a gas leak?

I'm assuming there is no other way to get outside air. If the units all have terraces and sliding glass doors that can be opened, I wouldn't worry. However, if there is absolutely no way at all to get fresh air from outside in, I would not like that at all. Cooking odors, people who smoke, just old stale air....purifiers can only do so much, you need some degree of fresh air circulation to stay healthy.

If you can't get any fresh air, I wouldn't do it. Maybe that's just being weird?
Not weird at all. One of my simple joys when coming home after a long day at work Spring through Autumn is opening the window wide and getting some fresh air in. I can't imagine living in a place where that wasn't possible, which is a shame since the Healey Building is perfect is so many other ways.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,689,607 times
Took a few months... but I must say... I am amazed at the detailed quality that someone was able to answer a very specific question about a very specific place

Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM

166 posts, read 324,523 times
As I said, there are people in the Healey who have paid to have open-able windows installed. It's possible. And by code, we have a ventilated building. There are rules about that kind of thing. No one's keeling over from lack of air.

Yeah, it took me a while to get used to not being able to open a window during the rain to get that wonderful post-rain air inside. I do miss that. But there are trade offs with every housing choice.

Those same windows that don't open do provide in incredible view. I took this one morning from the table while eating breakfast:

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM

876 posts, read 2,268,419 times
Very nice photo, ATL Urbanist - impressive! Glad you enjoy living there.

cwkimbro, agreed about someone sharing what they know about a specific place. Nice to point that fact out for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: