Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,844,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
NYC of the south is a term that has indeed been used before but it's also a term that most Atlantans hate. It's sort of akin to calling Philly "NYC's 6th borough". They hate being called that because it's slightly insulting (insinuating that Philly can't stand as its own city). NYC is NYC. Philly is Philly, and Atlanta is Atlanta.

That's why there have been so many people saying in this thread here that they hate the name of this development.

Too many people (including developers) think that the rest of the world wants to be exactly like New York. How boring that would be though. If every city was exactly like NY, there would be no reason to ever travel. I don't want Times Square in Atlanta. I want something uniquely Atlanta. If I wanted to see Times Square, I'd go see Times Square.
Can you substantiate that written in red?

The difference b/tn calling Philly NYC's 6th borough and calling Atlanta NY of the South, is to diminish one and elevate the other, respectively. Also, if it is true, that Philadelphia is referred to as NYC's 6th borough. Who calls it that? New Yorkers or Philadelphians? Who is referring to Atlanta as NYC of the South? Atlantans or New Yorkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 05:11 PM

492 posts, read 785,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Who is referring to Atlanta as NYC of the South? Atlantans or New Yorkers?

Neither. That's just it.

That's the point. The only people doing that are transplants or tourist who have never been anywhere.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,981,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
First of all what is there to be "jealous" of?
Second this is a open forum and I can comment anywhere I please even if it rankles your cankles. I happen to have friends who live in the ATL and have visited so I do have a interest in what occurs there.

Thirdly go to the 'city vs' city" forum and do a search for the term "NYC of the South" and see what pops up. I find it hilarious that you claim nobody says that yet here we have a thread titled "Times Square South"! Unless I'm mistaken Times Square is where again?
The fact is that out of all the forums on City-data you still come to the Atl forum. You could be traveling, saving someone's life, at the beach but you choose to spend your evening in our forum. I'm going to start calling you "lovingAtlantaRob" on here

Old 11-25-2012, 05:41 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,844,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Neither. That's just it.

That's the point. The only people doing that are transplants or tourist who have never been anywhere.

You chimed in. Can you substantiate your claim? I'm a transplant. I've never heard or read the phrase until I came to Atlanta and began reading posts on the Atlanta forum, here on C-D.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM

614 posts, read 1,094,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post

You chimed in. Can you substantiate your claim? I'm a transplant. I've never heard or read the phrase until I came to Atlanta and began reading posts on the Atlanta forum, here on C-D.

I don't see why people get wrapped up in these things, but here's my .02....I have heard the term "Manhattan of the south" each time I watched House Hunters episode shot in Atlanta.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Neither. That's just it.

Before I moved here, I knew Atlanta as a southern city where Coke, CNN, and Delta lived. I really didn't get "NYC" from that.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,507,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
I don't see why people get wrapped up in these things, but here's my .02....I have heard the term "Manhattan of the south" each time I watched House Hunters episode shot in Atlanta.
Sorry but the "Manhattan of the South " is not Atlanta but Miami. The ATL is too laid back and not enough skyscrapers.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM

66 posts, read 103,062 times
I think it would be a great thing and would hopefully add something to downtown. It just seems so dead at night around that area and around underground. I just hope it brings life after business hours, too, and not just during bsuiness hours.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 PM

66 posts, read 103,062 times
i think when they say "New York" of the south, they mean because it is the city in the south, has large population(metro included), and has diversity. I have often noticed that this term is used by others and not so much by Atlanta people.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 AM

2,831 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Sorry but the "Manhattan of the South " is not Atlanta but Miami. The ATL is too laid back and not enough skyscrapers.

Miami is the "Rio De Janeiro" of North America actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta