U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,955,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Sorry but the "Manhattan of the South " is not Atlanta but Miami. The ATL is too laid back and not enough skyscrapers.
Nor does Atlanta even have close to the density of Manhattan. The only thing Atlanta somewhat resembles of Manhattan is the way Downtown and midtown is laid out and how they are both legitimate, somewhat urban areas.

However, it really has no urban residential districts areas except in Midtown like NYC does(Chelsea, Upper West/East Side, Lower Eastside, Harlem, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM

3,521 posts, read 4,261,965 times
Urbanism? Uh oh....

That word is like a radioactive isotope around these here parts. Best to keep it under wraps.

You just might get pegged as part of the Agenda 21 conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Schmooey Liebowitz View Post
New York is the gold standard for urbanism, and smaller, less-established cities are always copying it. The Streets of Buckhead's initial promotional materials were full of references to emulating NY's Upper East Side.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM

3,521 posts, read 4,261,965 times
The word "density" is a major no-no too.

Agenda 21 conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Nor does Atlanta even have close to the density of Manhattan. The only thing Atlanta somewhat resembles of Manhattan is the way Downtown and midtown is laid out and how they are both legitimate, somewhat urban areas.

However, it really has no urban residential districts areas except in Midtown like NYC does(Chelsea, Upper West/East Side, Lower Eastside, Harlem, etc).

Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM

700 posts, read 1,068,572 times
What's funny to me is it's a regular office building with a couple marketing screens outside of the building "Thus the name Time Square of the South". I think It's a good concept, but I don't see it making a live atmosphere in the area. Our developers need to stop seeking inspiration from other cities to such a full extent and build and create things based on things only found in our great city. Why not place some of those projections along Peachtree or do something with Underground Atlanta. There already is the big Coco Cola clock, 5pts station and traffic from GA State.... Revamping the area a bit would be nice...That place sucks!.....

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,492,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
The word "density" is a major no-no too.

Agenda 21 conspiracy.
I can see how that and "density" could be related...

Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM

738 posts, read 1,156,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
What's funny to me is it's a regular office building with a couple marketing screens outside of the building "Thus the name Time Square of the South".
Agreed. Other than the giant screens, it doesn't resemble Times Square in any way. It's more like the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle, with retail on the lower levels and offices above.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM

23,437 posts, read 17,582,404 times
Quote:
Times Square is an eyesore to everyone except tourists and anyone who lives in NY avoids it all costs (which is often not very easy considering its a large subway hub)
This is exactly how I felt when my wife and I visited NYC over Labor Day. Times Square was horrible, we visited it once at night and once during the day to see the sights, but other than that avoided it at all costs.
A small Publix store would do good in that area, that caters to the small number of residents and large number of hotels visitors. Perfect example is the Publix at Hammond in Sandy Springs, https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Publi...30328&t=m&z=17. It is the smallest Publix store and caters to office workers during the day, small amount of residents that live in the area, and the hotel guests.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,346,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This is exactly how I felt when my wife and I visited NYC over Labor Day. Times Square was horrible, we visited it once at night and once during the day to see the sights, but other than that avoided it at all costs.
A small Publix store would do good in that area, that caters to the small number of residents and large number of hotels visitors. Perfect example is the Publix at Hammond in Sandy Springs, https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Publi...30328&t=m&z=17. It is the smallest Publix store and caters to office workers during the day, small amount of residents that live in the area, and the hotel guests.
Oh, Times Square isn't all that bad - I think that the singing cowboy in nothing but boots, a cowboy hat and tighty whities is pretty unique!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,296,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post

You chimed in. Can you substantiate your claim? I'm a transplant. I've never heard or read the phrase until I came to Atlanta and began reading posts on the Atlanta forum, here on C-D.
Its rare for an Atlantan to say such a thing.It is one thing to describe something like for instance:One Atlantic Center in Midtown reminds me of the Chrysler building in NYC or the Millennium Gate i similar to the Washington Memorial,but that is far from saying ATL is like NYC.There also references to other cities like D.C. ALL the time.
Like VA-Hi reminds me demographically of Adams Morgan.
NYC is a HUGE city that happens to be old so its not unusual that aspects of the city will stand out as an easy reference.
That has no bearing that overall ,Atlanta or any city wishes to be NYC.At least no body that I have heard feels that way.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM

66 posts, read 80,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
First of all what is there to be "jealous" of?
Second this is a open forum and I can comment anywhere I please even if it rankles your cankles. I happen to have friends who live in the ATL and have visited so I do have a interest in what occurs there.

Thirdly go to the 'city vs' city" forum and do a search for the term "NYC of the South" and see what pops up. I find it hilarious that you claim nobody says that yet here we have a thread titled "Times Square South"! Unless I'm mistaken Times Square is where again?
I know many people from Miami who don't even live there nor care or it. I work with a girl from Miami and she says other than family, she don't care for it much. It must not be so good if you have all the time in the world to worry about Atlanta. It is a fact that Atlanta is pretty much the south, and there isn't much else until you get to Miami. These two cities have the largest populations in the south. Atlanta is the 7th most visited city in the US so it must have something that keeps people coming here. Don't get me wrong, Miami is a beautiful city but to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or