U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM

22,756 posts, read 34,802,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes.
I loved the book and I like the movie.

I don't remember Scarlett as blond though...which page, prof?

Also--one thing I loved about the book was how well Mitchell describes the landscape of the Piedmont. She paints a very pretty picture of South Metro Atlanta.
I thought I remembered a reference to her blonde hair and green eyes, but the only specific reference to her looks I find on the first pages is her 'milky white skin'. I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,041,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Have anyone seen it yet? It's on AMC right now. I love it.

Gone with the Wind (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Next time you're in Atlanta you could stop by the Margaret Mitchell House where she wrote most of the book. It's next door to the Federal Reserve at 10th and Peachtree Street.
If you're looking for Atlanta Civil War history, you might want to stop by the Atlanta History Center in Buckhead.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,343,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure the black community hates GWTW. But it is a cinematic masterpiece.

Another would be D W Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" which has an even more disturbing theme.

And Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn

What I think is sad is that the old "Amos and Andy" TV show is more or less banned. I mean that show had actual black actors in lead roles. I've only seen snippets of it but of what I've seen, it was genuinely funny.

Oh well. Guess the trick is how to accept the past...warts and all...without censoring it?

Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Next time you're in Atlanta you could stop by the Margaret Mitchell House where she wrote most of the book. It's next door to the Federal Reserve at 10th and Peachtree Street
There were two attempts to burn it down. I think then Atlanta Mayor Young wasn't interested in saving it. It was privately developed with money coming from of all companies Mercedes Benz.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,960,833 times
Me being black,I wasn't bother by G.W.T.W. That was the american lifestyle,however the movie didn't show blacks being bad in any kind of way.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,041,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There were two attempts to burn it down. I think then Atlanta Mayor Young wasn't interested in saving it. It was privately developed with money coming from of all companies Mercedes Benz.
Young was not the mayor then, Shirley was. If I remember correctly, Young was involved with the tearing down of the Carniege libary.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:47 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,960,833 times
The National Civil War Naval Museum (the only one in the country),in Columbus has every vessels, uniforms, equipment and weapon,that was used in the Civil War.

http://portcolumbus.org/

Port Columbus Chow Line ver 1.wmv - YouTube

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 11-22-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,032,661 times
I like history, but this movie. Pass.

For those really into GWTW, go see the Tara Museum in Jonesboro. I haven't been, but it is one of the top tourist attractions in Georgia.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Young was not the mayor then, Shirley was. If I remember correctly, Young was involved with the tearing down of the Carniege libary.
I did some checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Loafing
At 4:59 a.m. on the morning of May 12, 1996, the Atlanta Fire Department responded to a call at 1069 McMillian St., a few blocks off Northside Drive. The fire, some speculate, was set as a diversion because 20 minutes later, firefighters were dispatched to the corner of 10th and Peachtree streets. The Margaret Mitchell House was burning again -- just 40 days shy of its renovation being complete. A similar blaze had erupted in 1994. Both were ignited by flammable liquids poured on an upper floor of the house.
So the two fires happened during the Bill Campbell era.

The old Carnegie Library was torn down in 1977 so that would be Maynard Jackson as mayor.

Wish they kept it. Classy looking building. Would have looked nice as an academic building for Georgia State U.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM

802 posts, read 932,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure the black community hates GWTW. But it is a cinematic masterpiece.

Another would be D W Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" which has an even more disturbing theme.

And Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn

What I think is sad is that the old "Amos and Andy" TV show is more or less banned. I mean that show had actual black actors in lead roles. I've only seen snippets of it but of what I've seen, it was genuinely funny.

Oh well. Guess the trick is how to accept the past...warts and all...without censoring it?
uggghhh, the scust!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or