Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times

Advertisements

How about just outside the city limits of Kennesaw? Everyone in Kennesaw is required to own a gun, has one of the lowest murder rates anywhere and you could be protected by the citizens nearby but not have to own one yourself if you live in the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,615 times
Except for college and the army, I lived in Griffin most of my live before moving out. Aside from losing the textile mills, the thing that hurt Griffin most was being bypassed by Interstate Highway 75. The city fathers of the time told DOT, "if you won't being it throught the center of town like US 19 & 41, just take it out of the county." That's just what DOT did. Can you imagine Atlanta's downtown connector going through the middle of Griffin. The TV story did not mention the racial compostion of Forsyth and Spalding. Forsyth is mostly white and Spalding is about 35% black. Griffin, the county seat of Spalding, is majority black. That makes for tough politics. Consolidation was attempted three times and failed. Those who invested their fortunes trying to bring Griffin/Spalding back have lost an awful lot of money. In addition to Sun City Peachtree, which someone else mentioned, there is also the new UGA Griffin Campus (Griffin voted down a junior college in the 1970s). Griffin reminds me of Gov. Lester Maddox' comment when someone criticized him about the Georgia prison system. He said, "If you want a better prison system, you need a better class of prisoners." I wish all the best for Griffin; it deserves better.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:54 PM

152 posts, read 261,340 times
pacifist to me would be someone who does not like war or violence (including gun culture). having been in atl for few years (im a yankee liberal..lol) i can say what i consider redneck gun loving, lip service, flag flyin folk prevail even when veiled. cept its worse than a real redneck cuz they city rednecks (snake oil) talking like southern with a gay inflection...LOL!!! i met more folks on the up and up in lynchburg TN baby!!!! atlanta has alot of cool folk but lotsa of fake and fraud too - trying to look like they have money. each part of town is different. black folks are cooler than the white - but alot of them hung up on drivin and wearin brands if they comin up at all. all areas over polluted from red state policy lets biz run unchecked. still tryin to love it here. thinking about Griffin - mayby could actully find an honest contractor??? lol!!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 PM

254 posts, read 419,050 times
Bump.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Bump.
Why bump this? Its turned into an incoherent mess.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM

68 posts, read 134,064 times
Sure Griffin is nice...if you like derelict housing and rednecks.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:49 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will724 View Post
Sure Griffin is nice...if you like derelict housing and rednecks.
How incisive.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,164 times
I am interested in knowing about Sun City Peachtree because I plan to build there in the spring. Where are local doctor's offices and which banks would you suggest I check out. Where do you go to get your driver's license? I am not interested in hearing about being in the boonies or ghettos. I also don't need to know about the historic parts of the town.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,060 times
Default Griffin

Griffin is pretty dreadful - main commerce seems to be car title pawn shops and tire stores. If you want decent food or shopping, you have an hour drive to Atlanta. We have been here a year and haven't found the nice side of town yet and we have looked for it. It is in the middle of no where.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Griffin's a nice little town. Its not on 75 or 85, so you can be 50 miles from Atlanta and still be in a small town, but not too far away from the big city. If you want the hustle and bustle of the big city, its not the place for you. But if you want to be in a small town with reasonable access to the city, its nice and I've always found the people friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta