U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM

9,129 posts, read 17,156,839 times

Advertisements

I'm Wondering why the "Cancer Patient" was in the story? If he didn't have Cancer the robbery would not have happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

8,327 posts, read 10,278,610 times
Quote:
I really hope your kidding?!
Come on, cqholt. You've been around here long enough and read arjay's posts long enough to know that he is obviously being sarcastic and stating that fear of crime is a crazy reason to be against MARTA. In fact, I think arjay probably also knows that is a spin put on by politicians who wanted funding for MARTA and that is not the rea reason most people are against MARTA. It probably never was the case, but even if it ever was, it certainly isn't today.

Quote:
If he didn't have Cancer the robbery would not have happened?
Very good question. I generally quesiton it when people talk about the "bias" of the media, as it is generally the bias of the person that is making him angry that the media covered things in a fair way instead of placating that person's bias. However, in this case, noting that the person was a cancer patient raises serious questions. When most of us picture a cancer patient, we think of a weak person who is undergoing chemotherapy. However, there are lots of differnt kinds of cancer patients and some of them are perfectly healthy most of the time they are battling the cancer. If the person was actively undergoing chemotherapy and recovering at home, it might be fair to call her a cancer patient. But we don't know that, she might have only been undergoing radiation, or might have just had a small skin cancer removed...we just don't know.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,120,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
All the more reason to fear MARTA. If crime is already in the suburbs, imagine what it would be like if MARTA came in someday.

LMAO im cracking up over here

Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,955,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well ask yourself. Aren't you black also?
Are you a killer?Are you evil?Do you plan to do harm.
There is a direct correlation to people who commit crimes and poverty.I hope you are not trying to suggest that skin color determines whether are not you will be a criminal
Blacks in general are a more aggressive race then others. This is undeniable. Many other blacks I've talked to about this issue would agree.

However, it's mainly impoverished blacks and unfortunately, a large percentage of the black community is in poverty even in Atlanta where there is a large middle class black population.

But you can't deny it...blacks commit a large portion of the more serious and violent crimes around the metropolitan area.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,278,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Gwinnett Daily Post | Cops: Cancer patient stabbed 20 times by robbery-driven neighbor

I just wanted to know what you guys think about this.

I know a poster recently said that Lawrenceville has gotten really bad with crime, but I thought that was an exaggeration....maybe it wasn't.

I looked on Google maps at the street where this happened and did a street view. It looks perfectly fine, well kept up houses and it seems just like a regular neighborhood with no obvious red flags.

What do you suppose is happening? I would be freaked out if this happened in my neighborhood. You almost have to believe that there was more of a motive than simple burglary. Don't you think it is incredibly odd for 2 teens with no real criminal records to all of sudden stab a neighbor to death?

Most serial killers look like the guy who lives next door with no obvious red flags either and a higher percentage of serial killers are white males.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,075,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I'm Wondering why the "Cancer Patient" was in the story? If he didn't have Cancer the robbery would not have happened?
Because identifying the victim as a cancer patient makes the story more sensationalistic. Sensationalism is one of the primary building blocks of modern journalism.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,296,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Blacks in general are a more aggressive race then others. This is undeniable. Many other blacks I've talked to about this issue would agree.

However, it's mainly impoverished blacks and unfortunately, a large percentage of the black community is in poverty even in Atlanta where there is a large middle class black population.

But you can't deny it...blacks commit a large portion of the more serious and violent crimes around the metropolitan area.
OMG!!!So you basically saying that a person from Barbados is just like a New Yorker .Or a black person from Nigeria is just like a black person from Kenya?

Have you ever been out of the country?Have you ever met a black person who grew up in Sweden or France?
People act like they do according by there surroundings or culture.

If you have been to many Caribean Islands,you would definately see a difference in a people from Jamiaca vs the Virgin Islands.

My friend you have a lot of growing up and living to do.Statements like those you make might as well be from a member of Stormfront.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,955,546 times
Quote:
OMG!!!So you basically saying that a person from Barbados is just like a New Yorker .Or a black person from Nigeria is just like a black person from Kenya?

Have you ever been out of the country?Have you ever met a black person who grew up in Sweden or France?

If you have been to many Caribean Islands,you would definately see a difference in a people from Jamiaca vs the Virgin Islands.

My friend you have a lot of growing up and living to do.Statements like those you make might as well be from a member of Stormfront.
Because I'm being honest? Should I be more specific and say, Africans Americans?

Tell me then. Why is it always AA who commit crimes on GSU students?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM

29,386 posts, read 26,345,718 times
Quote:
I agree with your point that people from different cultures may have very differing ways of acting and seeing the world.

However, I don't believe that ever excuses violence or criminal conduct. (And I don't think that's what you were implying).

Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM

29,386 posts, read 26,345,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Come on, cqholt. You've been around here long enough and read arjay's posts long enough to know that he is obviously being sarcastic and stating that fear of crime is a crazy reason to be against MARTA. In fact, I think arjay probably also knows that is a spin put on by politicians who wanted funding for MARTA and that is not the rea reason most people are against MARTA. It probably never was the case, but even if it ever was, it certainly isn't today.
Oh, yeah, I'm just being silly. I don't think there's any evidence whatsoever that MARTA or any other transit increases crime.

If there is I've never seen it, and I have looked for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or