U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the BOR's decision to merge eight college and universities is a good move?
No, it was a poor decision 0 0%
Yes, it was a good decision 8 61.54%
I agree with some mergers but not with others 5 38.46%
I agree with some mergers but don't approve how the mergers will be going through(name changes, location changes, administration etc) 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM

472 posts, read 660,352 times

Advertisements

From January 1, 2013 onward, North Georgia College and State University and Gainesville State College will merge to from the University of North Georgia.

This is one of the four mergers among the University System of Georgia colleges.

The other three being between:
1. Georgia Health Science University and Augusta State to form Georgia Regents university
2. Macon State College with Middle Georgia College.
3. Waycross College and South Georgia College

There really isn't as much a fuss going on about NGCSU and GSC going on as there is GHSU/ASU.

The latest update brings a new potential mascot and some administrative changes.
Consolidation Update: October 5, 2012 | Consolidation

NGCSU has seen a 5% increase in average SAT scores over the past 10 years. In 2011, NGCSU had a higher average SAT score than Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Augusta State and Kennesaw State University.

(Note; Previously, we found and error on KSU's numbers for UGA's 2000 and 2001 SAT scores. There might be a few errors in the data, but for the most part it seems correct):

https://vic34.kennesaw.edu/fb/kenn_f...&p_print_one=N

I really don't have much to say about this merger. I would've preferred to see something with GCSU. GCSU has also increased it's freshman profile in terms of GPA and SAT score. In 2011, GCSU had the third highest average SAT score of any USG institution at 1155.

What do you all think? I think this will be a big deal for military folk. NGCSU is know to be a military school, while Gainesville State...well..isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,644 times
NGCSU is known to be a military school, so sperate it, and medical field, let it stand there too

Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,007,048 times
(x) Option 5. Don't care one way or the other....

Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM

22,656 posts, read 34,732,764 times
I support it. Such a merger provides better synergy and economies of scale as well as offering students access to a broader range of educational resources.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 AM

7,112 posts, read 8,337,221 times
I'm unsure. They are 30 miles apart. What do the two campuses mean to each other?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM

29,538 posts, read 27,015,812 times
What will happen to the physical campuses of each? I know North GA isn't going anywhere.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM

The Gainesville campus will remain. NGCSU's campus is about 700 acres. They aren't exactly in need of more space. GSC will just operate under University of North Georgia. From what I can gather, NGCSU is eating up Gainesville State. Essentially, you will have two campuses operating under the same name. It might end up like UGA and GT where the Savannah campus(GT) and Tifton/Griffin(UGA) campuses have separate admission standards. That's not entirely uncommon. University of Michigan has their main Ann Arbor campus and then Dearborn. University of Washington has their Seattle campus and then Bothel and Tacoma. UMASS has their Boston campus and then Amherst. As long as one of the two have an established campus, I don't think they will close shop and move to Dahlonega. The combined institution will have campus locations in Dahlonega, Oakwood, Watkinsville, and Cumming.

NGCSU has the third highest average GPA in the state(3.5) and also the 3rd highest 6 year graduation rates in the state. Gainesville State is 2-year junior college with many of it's students transferring to UGA. How will that help NGCSU's branding and numbers? I can't say.

BOR pulled another ASU-GHSU here. I don't see the logic behind it. I guess they will save quite a bit of money. How does it help NGCSU? I'm not familiar enough with either school to comment. I think it will help GSC for sure. It may help the enrollment swell.

NGCSU has about 6,000 students. GSC has about 8,968. The combine enrollment would bring U of North Georgia to 14,968. That would make UNG the 6th largest school in the USG topping University of West Georgia, Armstrong Atlantic, Augusta State U, Valdosta State University, Columbus State University and Clayton State University.

Personally, the new name is the greatest gift of all. I can't image how the North Georgia students feel saying "North Georgia College and State University" on their resume.

What a mouthful!

University of North Georgia. Simple, bold and pristine. A good fit for Georgia's military college.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Here's some news on administrative changes. Tuition and administrative changes won't be in affect until Fall 2013.

Tuition, admission procedures set for new University of North Georgia | AccessNorthGa
North Georgia Consolidation Information Home

Enrollment changes as per merger(2011 data):

1. North Georgia College and State University and Gainesville State College = 14,636 students - Making the 7th biggest enrollment in Georgia
2. Georgia Health Science University and Augusta State to form Georgia Regents university = 9,689 students
3. Macon State College with Middle Georgia College = 9,126 students
4. Waycross College and South Georgia College = 3,234 students

Last edited by dichloromethane; 12-02-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM

I came across this rather surprising find. NGCSU is ranked as a best value college by Kiplinger. There are only three Georgia schools on the list, Georgia Tech, UGA and NGCSU. I have to admit, I didn't realize.

Best Values in Public Colleges, 2011-12[]=GA&id[]=none&table=public#colleges

Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM

University consolidation plan gets final OK from accreditors

SACS has approved University of North Georgia and Georgia Regents University. The president will be appoint January 8th 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta