Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Worse then Mississippi and Alabama.

Feds release new high school grad data using common yardstick; Georgia’s rate is 67 percent, putting us among bottom three. | Get Schooled

67% of all highschool students graduation...this is just terrible....Ugh, I knew Georgia's k-12 education system was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.
Th
Shame on Georgia...putting football before education.
It disturbs me, but it doesn't surprise me. I remember my high school graduation, in 2004. When I started high school in 2000, there was somewhere between 375-400 students. In the end, 244 people graduated with me. Somewhere around a 61-65 percent graduate rate, below the state average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
A higher percent of Georgia residents have a bachelors or above degree.
And how many of those are working someplace where their degree is useless because they got a degree because their high school unilaterally declared that everyone was to go to college and they didn't know about other options?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM

254 posts, read 419,315 times
Are you guys saying Georgia and it's residents are uneducated and stupid?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Iowa has always had a tradition and reputation for strong public education--placing a high value on educating its citizenry.

Iowa is very proud, protective, and supportive of its public schools--solid community support across the state.

And...
Iowa is a surprisingly progressive place--it is progressive in that pragmatic/Midwestern kind of way. No frills, nothing extraordinary.
Ah, that would make sense. A community that chooses to support its schools will reap the benefits in so many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Actually progressiveness and race often go hand and hand. If you think about the most progressive areas if the country the first thing you notice is the paucity of black people. It would seem that whites are only open to progressiveness in a majority white atmosphere.
WTF?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Lol.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
And how many of those are working someplace where their degree is useless because they got a degree because their high school unilaterally declared that everyone was to go to college and they didn't know about other options?
Well wouldn't that more likely of happened to Iowa HS graduates vs. Georgia HS graduates? HS graduates are more likely to go to college than non grads/people who obtain GEDs.

I do believe it is pitiful that people cannot graduate HS, but maybe everybody is not cut out to graduate. Just because they graduated HS does not mean they will be that much more successful.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Well wouldn't that more likely of happened to Iowa HS graduates vs. Georgia HS graduates? HS graduates are more likely to go to college than non grads/people who obtain GEDs.

I do believe it is pitiful that people cannot graduate HS, but maybe everybody is not cut out to graduate. Just because they graduated HS does not mean they will be that much more successful.
I absolutely agree with your last statement, and apparently so does the United Kingdom. If a student in the UK reaches Sixth Form (Eleventh Grade), then there is a high likelihood they are college material. It's a highly competitive environment, and students that aren't cutting it are redirected to an alternative education ie vocational training.
It seems a much more sensible approach to education, not to mention less discouraging to the student.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Thanks for raising the bar on this conversation.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM

100 posts, read 142,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I absolutely agree with your last statement, and apparently so does the United Kingdom. If a student in the UK reaches Sixth Form (Eleventh Grade), then there is a high likelihood they are college material. It's a highly competitive environment, and students that aren't cutting it are redirected to an alternative education ie vocational training.
It seems a much more sensible approach to education, not to mention less discouraging to the student.
Well that's not quite true. Infact there is a crisis in UK higher education due to the conversion of polytechnics to universities in the 80's and 90's. They offer degree courses with very low entry requirements. As a result a huge swathe of young people in the UK are sitting around unemployed with 'noddy degrees' . The government is now looking at ways to push vocational training.
Other than that, the UK and US systems can't really be compared. The UK is more front-weighted. We take GCSE's at 16 then between 2 to 4 subjects for 'A' Level in Grade 11-12. These are equivalent to the college majors Americans do once they get to college (but as I said, some only colleges require very low grades for entry). If you want to be a Dr in the UK, you need to decide at 16. You then choose the right A' Levels (usually at least 2 science subjects and Math) and get an offer from a Medical School. You go to Medical School at 18. By 23 or 24 you are a qualified MD. In the US you would do a BA or BSc first, because the system is back-weighted. The benefit with the UK system is you get your degree quicker, the downside is that many 16 year olds are not necessarily sure what career path they want to follow.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM

254 posts, read 419,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Thanks for raising the bar on this conversation.
I mean no disrespect, because I think that statement I made, if anyone believes it would be completely absurd..We have Anne Cox Chambers, Ted Turner, Martin Savidge, and many other educated and firm people. Anne Cox Chamber is the 13th or 37th richest person in the world, the richest person in all of Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta