Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times

Advertisements

I think that is total garbage.

Especially for Montessori, where the whole idea is self directed learning. If you assign homework due the next day, that is hardly self directed. Doesn't sound like real Montessori to me.

But even putting the whole Montessori thing aside, homework before first grade is completely unnecessary for a child of at least average intelligence. I mean, I'm not any kind of early education expert, but there is nothing in assigned homework that age that isn't being achieved already by conscientious parents who enrich their children and spend time with them. This is way too young of an age for "busy work" and all you are teaching the child is that school and homework aren't fun. The whole idea of education is that learning is fun and to stimulate a natural sense of curiosity.

Tracing letters is not fun. For anybody. And it's ridiculous. I can see it perhaps for a child that is having trouble with fine motor skills who may need a little time and practice to get some techniques down, but even that work should probably be done under the direct supervision of a professional while at school (particularly if you are paying private school rates!)

My advice to your friend would be to start an exploration process of visiting other schools and specifically asking what their philosophies are on learning and education. Any school worth anything is going to have no problem explaining their philosophies, allowing her to observe a class, etc.

The thing is, kids are all different and learn in different ways, and that's why there are so many options out there. It's also why Montessori is so controversial. Some kids completely thrive in that atmosphere, but for other kids it's a complete waste of money and may even be counterproductive for they way they experience the world. Things like dumb busy homework, though, are generally the kind of crap that people flock to Montessori to avoid, which is why I'm shocked that a Montessori school is behaving in this manner.

One thing I would like to know is if the child enjoys doing this homework. If the kid doesn't want to do the homework and doesn't need the homework, then I don't think it's appropriate at all. However, if the child is excited about doing the homework and your friend is jealous that it is taking away from her time with him, then she might need to check herself and not the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Great post. Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Especially for Montessori, where the whole idea is self directed learning. If you assign homework due the next day, that is hardly self directed. Doesn't sound like real Montessori to me.

But even putting the whole Montessori thing aside, homework before first grade is completely unnecessary for a child of at least average intelligence. I mean, I'm not any kind of early education expert, but there is nothing in assigned homework that age that isn't being achieved already by conscientious parents who enrich their children and spend time with them. This is way too young of an age for "busy work" and all you are teaching the child is that school and homework aren't fun. The whole idea of education is that learning is fun and to stimulate a natural sense of curiosity.

Tracing letters is not fun. For anybody. And it's ridiculous. I can see it perhaps for a child that is having trouble with fine motor skills who may need a little time and practice to get some techniques down, but even that work should probably be done under the direct supervision of a professional while at school (particularly if you are paying private school rates!)

My advice to your friend would be to start an exploration process of visiting other schools and specifically asking what their philosophies are on learning and education. Any school worth anything is going to have no problem explaining their philosophies, allowing her to observe a class, etc.

The thing is, kids are all different and learn in different ways, and that's why there are so many options out there. It's also why Montessori is so controversial. Some kids completely thrive in that atmosphere, but for other kids it's a complete waste of money and may even be counterproductive for they way they experience the world. Things like dumb busy homework, though, are generally the kind of crap that people flock to Montessori to avoid, which is why I'm shocked that a Montessori school is behaving in this manner.

One thing I would like to know is if the child enjoys doing this homework. If the kid doesn't want to do the homework and doesn't need the homework, then I don't think it's appropriate at all. However, if the child is excited about doing the homework and your friend is jealous that it is taking away from her time with him, then she might need to check herself and not the school.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM

472 posts, read 809,575 times
Quote:

Well done.

And I want to reiterate that family time is quite literally disappearing in America. We're not eating at the family table, we're not watching TV anymore, we're not talking. Now we're trying to send our kids off so early to get ahead and learn from "professionals." Now I can't say anything bad about ambitious parents. We need more folks like that in the world, but without that essential bonding time you're setting yourself up for failure. How do you expect to teach your little leaguer how to bat or your 16 year old daughter's emotional tumult if you weren't even there to teach him/her their ABCs?

My fiance and I have decided that WE will be the "professionals" with our children, not nannies and Montessoris. I just don't get it. Why would you pay someone so much to take away your precious memories of your child?

I understand that parents are busy and they need a daycare or a nanny to WATCH their children, but there shouldn't be any replacement of teaching, supplementing maybe. I do think the social aspect of Montessoris are very beneficial.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Dichloro,

To answer your question, we (I can only speak for me and my husband) use a nanny because Mommy and Daddy have jobs that have to be done. I do work from home, however, so am in the blessed position to see my little one during the four hours that the nanny is there, and our nanny is a close relative so our little one is always surrounded with great love. I also stayed home so long after he was born that I was the first to see all the first year "firsts" but not every parent has this luxury! It is wrong for you to criticize a parent sending his/her child to care. Do you think any mother, for example, WANTS to hand her 3 month old baby over to a stranger???? That has got to be one of the most heartbreaking things that a mother can do.

But staying home is not generally a situation that most people can have. The U.S. is just not set up this way. In Europe, moms can stay home for at least one year and their jobs are guaranteed - in some countries, I have heard that moms can stay home for two years. The U.S. is unfortunately, not terribly amenable to women staying home (or men staying home) with children. So, the choice is to quit your job or seek care for your children.

I agree that precious bonding time can be missed out on if the parents are working. However, the reality is that many parents have to work. Many people just do not have the option of a single income household (nor do many want the risk that goes along with that in this day and age of layoffs).

You make an interesting point that parents shouldn't pay someone to *teach* their children. Your argument places a high premium on the teaching part of parenting. I would challenge that assertion and say (although I personally like teaching my child, I'm playing devil's advocate) that some parents enjoy the hugging and kissing and playing part way more than the teaching. So, if someone else does the teaching, many parents may say, good, leave the hugging and kissing and playing for me. All the more fun. I think as much or more bonding comes from the play and kissing and hugging and talking than the teaching in many instances. That can be facilitated even if a parent gets home at 6. But, it is hard for parents to leave their children. You make it sound like it is a pleasure.

BTW, I was surprised to see u say the social aspect of Montessori you thought was beneficial since most people view Montessori as the least socially stimulating philosophy of early childhood learning with its emphasis on individual "work." In most traditional Montessoris, for example, circle time and singing/music time is not group-based. Arts and music is more individual/solo. So interesting that you give Montessori props for the socialization. I would have thought that would have gone to more Creative Curriculum style care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Well done.

And I want to reiterate that family time is quite literally disappearing in America. We're not eating at the family table, we're not watching TV anymore, we're not talking. Now we're trying to send our kids off so early to get ahead and learn from "professionals." Now I can't say anything bad about ambitious parents. We need more folks like that in the world, but without that essential bonding time you're setting yourself up for failure. How do you expect to teach your little leaguer how to bat or your 16 year old daughter's emotional tumult if you weren't even there to teach him/her their ABCs?

My fiance and I have decided that WE will be the "professionals" with our children, not nannies and Montessoris. I just don't get it. Why would you pay someone so much to take away your precious memories of your child?

I understand that parents are busy and they need a daycare or a nanny to WATCH their children, but there shouldn't be any replacement of teaching, supplementing maybe. I do think the social aspect of Montessoris are very beneficial.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 12-01-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
I guess this must be the latest push to raise young children's test scores. Because we all know that standardized test scores paint the most complete picture possible of a child's development and well-being. /snark

Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I guess this must be the latest push to raise young children's test scores.
I don't know, I kind of doubt it. Because think about it, even a kid knew how to read and write and multiply by kindergarten, it's not like they are then going to start teaching calculus in first grade. The basic curiculum hasn't changed, so making sure your child knows how to do all of this by kindergarten does little more than ensure that he/she is going to be totally bored during class.

I'm not saying that being supportive and teaching ahead isn't a great idea. It is! If a kid has a head start, that gives him a great set of confidence and the ability to absorb more nuanced learning throughout school. However, there is a limit to how advanced children can be given the way the school system is set up.

I don't personally believe that learning earlier means you are going to learn better and faster throughout your entire educational career. Sure, it may mean that you don't fall behind and don't need to play catch up in school, but surely we can achieve that without giving 2 and half year old letter tracing homework assignments. I think this is detrimental to the child unless the child is very enthusiastic about learning and absorbing everything and asking for more. But how common is this? I'd say much more likely is a child crying not understanding why this work needs to be done instead of other enrichment activities. I would argue that reading a book to your child and if he is ready, having him read the book back to you, is much more valuable than tracing letters.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Homework at any grade before first grade is stupid.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
I don't know, I kind of doubt it. Because think about it, even a kid knew how to read and write and multiply by kindergarten, it's not like they are then going to start teaching calculus in first grade. The basic curiculum hasn't changed, so making sure your child knows how to do all of this by kindergarten does little more than ensure that he/she is going to be totally bored during class.
But why does it take a standardized test to show that? Many of the skills that children should be learning at the pre-kindergarten level--social skills, physical coordination, leadership, patience--are hardly measurable on a standardized test.

Quote:
I'm not saying that being supportive and teaching ahead isn't a great idea. It is! If a kid has a head start, that gives him a great set of confidence and the ability to absorb more nuanced learning throughout school. However, there is a limit to how advanced children can be given the way the school system is set up.

I don't personally believe that learning earlier means you are going to learn better and faster throughout your entire educational career. Sure, it may mean that you don't fall behind and don't need to play catch up in school, but surely we can achieve that without giving 2 and half year old letter tracing homework assignments. I think this is detrimental to the child unless the child is very enthusiastic about learning and absorbing everything and asking for more. But how common is this? I'd say much more likely is a child crying not understanding why this work needs to be done instead of other enrichment activities. I would argue that reading a book to your child and if he is ready, having him read the book back to you, is much more valuable than tracing letters.
Do you happen to know why Montessori teaches letter tracing, by chance?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Do you happen to know why Montessori teaches letter tracing, by chance?
I have no idea. Doesn't quite sound like that fits in with an approved Montessori method to me, but I'm by no means an expert on it.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,283 times
Worksheets and the like (whether done at home or school) are not appropriate for children at that age. The university-based center my children attended used the Creative Curriculum and site-tested the Pyramid program for the older groups. Both rely heavily on experiential learning and the development of self-sufficiency. The curriculum coordinator would explain to new parents that when they came into the classroom it may not look like the kids are "working." But for children at that age directed and organized play is their work. They wouldn't even give them coloring sheets because it limited creativity!!! Beyond research and experts, just use common sense. Humans have childhood amnesia; we don't have memories of that age. So why in the world would rote exercises work as a learning tool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta