U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM

254 posts, read 333,352 times

Advertisements

43 students, 5 adults suffer carbon monoxide poisoning at Atlanta elementary school - U.S. News

Carbon monoxide sickens 42 kids at Ga. school | Nation & World | The Seattle Times

Here's the thing with this, GA schools are not required to put in Carbon Monoxide detectors...All New York City schools are required, all Chicago(of all places) and Detriot schools are required to put in Carbon Monoxide detectors...Atlanta schools aren't. That's a very dangerous threat to the safety of Children.

I hope those 42 kids make it out of the hospital all right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,033,474 times
Awful news and very scary! I sure hope everyone who got sick is doing well and goes home from the hospital asap. I had assumed the school was older, but according to the AJC article, the school itself was built in 2004.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,142,630 times
You wonder how this could be. Guess nobody thinks it's important enough to put carbon monoxide detectors in schools. Smoke detectors, yes (I assume) but not carbon monoxide detectors. How idiotic.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,873,599 times
Did a Google news search to view national coverage of this, and almost all of it -- in every state, in every city, on every major network -- focused on the fact that only TWO states, Connecticut and Maryland, have laws requiring carbon monoxide detectors in schools. Fortunate thing that there were no serious injuries here in Atlanta, and the incident has turned the nation's attention this to issue, which is somewhat a no-brainer.

Here's a nice lengthy in depth report from Tuesday's TODAY show:

Carbon monoxide detectors not required in all schools - Video on TODAY.com

Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,919,458 times
Must be part of the reason for the low graduation rates.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 AM

2,373 posts, read 3,724,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Did a Google news search to view national coverage of this, and almost all of it -- in every state, in every city, on every major network -- focused on the fact that only TWO states, Connecticut and Maryland, have laws requiring carbon monoxide detectors in schools. Fortunate thing that there were no serious injuries here in Atlanta, and the incident has turned the nation's attention this to issue, which is somewhat a no-brainer.

Here's a nice lengthy in depth report from Tuesday's TODAY show:

Carbon monoxide detectors not required in all schools - Video on TODAY.com
It may be too soon to know if there are serious injuries. I have a friend's husband that had carbon monoxide poisioning and he was never able to return to work. His reflex and thought process is clouded. It really messes with your head.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM

29,241 posts, read 26,177,667 times
It wouldn't surprise me if this has been going on for generations. In times past it wouldn't even have occurred to anyone to check for carbon monoxide. When I was growing up schools were filled with asbestos insulation in the walls and ceilings and on all the pipes. These days you'd need a hazmat team to remove that stuff. The walls were covered with many layers of lead paint. They routinely sprayed with pesticides that are outlawed today, and PCB's were everywhere. Smoke detectors consisted of the human nose and hazards like mold and radon had never entered anybody's mind.

It's a miracle any of us survive the education process.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,651,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if this has been going on for generations. In times past it wouldn't even have occurred to anyone to check for carbon monoxide. When I was growing up schools were filled with asbestos insulation in the walls and ceilings and on all the pipes. These days you'd need a hazmat team to remove that stuff. The walls were covered with many layers of lead paint. They routinely sprayed with pesticides that are outlawed today, and PCB's were everywhere. Smoke detectors consisted of the human nose and hazards like mold and radon had never entered anybody's mind.

It's a miracle any of us survive the education process.
That is so true.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,873,599 times
We also rode bikes without helmets, skated without kneepads and ran with scissors!

I don't even think school playgrounds have monkey bars anymore. I got sent to the principal's office in 1st grade for jumping off the monkey bars "inappropriately." It has scarred me to this day.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM

29,241 posts, read 26,177,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
We also rode bikes without helmets, skated without kneepads and ran with scissors!

I don't even think school playgrounds have monkey bars anymore. I got sent to the principal's office in 1st grade for jumping off the monkey bars "inappropriately." It has scarred me to this day.
We also rode on the tailgates of pickup trucks and station wagons and gulped water from the hose. Child seats were little plastic and aluminum contraptions that hung over the seat back, but most of us just stood up on the front seat and waited for mama to fling her arm out when we came to a stop.

If grownups treated kids like they did a couple of generations ago they'd be sent to prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or