U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 21,637 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to the North Atlanta area from Ohio in early summer and are getting ready to begin the process of finding a new family home. We have driven through several great neighborhoods we really liked but I would love to get any inside scoop on any pros & cons of the following neighborhoods we should consider. Our price range is 400-550k, we have 3 children (7,5, & 1) and we have a strong preference for an active family-friendly neighborhood with many young kids, great schools, swim/tennis (golf is a bonus), and many organized neighborhood activities. I will be working in Canton but would prefer to live in an active area with easy access to shopping and restaurants and I'm willing to drive up to 45 minutes to work. Here is our top ten list of neighborhoods.....appreciate any thoughts on how well these fit our objectives (or others we might be missing)!

Windermere
Crooked Creek
White Columns(probably out of our target range)
Glen Abbey
Falls of Autrey Mill
Chattahoochee River Club
Bridgemill
Woodmont
Windward
Fieldstone Preserve

Thanks for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 PM

1,432 posts, read 4,348,093 times
Going east to west in the north metro suburbs can be very difficult. I am familiar with Chattahoochee River Club and Windermere, and suspect that you would have a nightmare commute to get to Canton. Great subdivisions, tough drive to work.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:22 AM

13,488 posts, read 21,958,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aharmon499 View Post
My family and I will be relocating to the North Atlanta area from Ohio in early summer and are getting ready to begin the process of finding a new family home. We have driven through several great neighborhoods we really liked but I would love to get any inside scoop on any pros & cons of the following neighborhoods we should consider. Our price range is 400-550k, we have 3 children (7,5, & 1) and we have a strong preference for an active family-friendly neighborhood with many young kids, great schools, swim/tennis (golf is a bonus), and many organized neighborhood activities. I will be working in Canton but would prefer to live in an active area with easy access to shopping and restaurants and I'm willing to drive up to 45 minutes to work. Here is our top ten list of neighborhoods.....appreciate any thoughts on how well these fit our objectives (or others we might be missing)!

Windermere
Crooked Creek
White Columns(probably out of our target range)
Glen Abbey
Falls of Autrey Mill
Chattahoochee River Club
Bridgemill
Woodmont
Windward
Fieldstone Preserve

Thanks for your comments!

Since you will be working in Canton, I recommend looking into Woodmont and Bridgemill.

Great schools and great neighborhoods.

You should stay focused on Cherokee County--a prime suburb of Northern Metro Atlanta. There are many other excellent Cherokee County neighborhoods that are not yet on your list. Just about all of the schools in Cherokee County are top-notch.

Some other neighborhood suggestions:

Towne Lake
Laurel Canyon
River Green
Great Sky
Harmony on the Lakes

...and many more!

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 8,698 times
Luck you to find work in canton! I live in the area, recently graduated college and I am having a heck of a time finding entry level work, or even becoming employed in retail!

Can anyone give me feedback on carrington farm subdivision? Do you know what schools children who reside there go to: holly springs or hickory flat elem? I'm looking to move soon...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,610,902 times
You should check out East Cobb as well.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 AM

738 posts, read 1,153,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Since you will be working in Canton, I recommend looking into Woodmont and Bridgemill.

Great schools and great neighborhoods.
I second this. BridgeMill is gigantic (over 3,000 homes) and a bit closer to the city. Woodmont is somewhat smaller and in a more rural location. Both offer a handful of different internal neighborhoods of varying sizes and price ranges. Windward in Alpharetta is also nice, and it's closer to shops and restaurants, but would give you a longer commute than either of the above.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
You should check out East Cobb as well.

Yes.

North Cobb and parts of East Cobb would also meet the OP's criteria and offer a good to Canton.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 21,637 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. For those of you familiar with the Bridgemill neighborhood or Woodstock area I have had mixed reviews on the schools. Are they comparable with the North Fulton and South Forsyth area schools or are they a step down? Also, do you feel close enough in that area to good dining and shopping options?

Anyone have any other feedback on the other neighborhoods I listed?

Are there a lot of kids in the Towne Lake neighborhoods?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aharmon499 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. For those of you familiar with the Bridgemill neighborhood or Woodstock area I have had mixed reviews on the schools. Are they comparable with the North Fulton and South Forsyth area schools or are they a step down? Also, do you feel close enough in that area to good dining and shopping options?

Anyone have any other feedback on the other neighborhoods I listed?

Are there a lot of kids in the Towne Lake neighborhoods?

Towne Lake has tons of kids.

Cherokee County Schools are excellent across the board just about.

The schools for Bridgemill are Sixes Elementary, Freedom Middle, and Woodstock High.

Any differences between the schools of Bridgemill and North Fulton/South Forsyth schools are minimal.

Bridgemill/Woodstock are close to the shopping/dining of Towne Lake, Historic Woodstock, Hwy 92, Town Center/Barrett Parkway, New Chastain Road, Kennesaw/Acworth, and Canton.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or