U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 PM

631 posts, read 1,065,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Very well written and accurate post. Its still all about god and guns in some counties.

Anectodal evidence at my (large multinational) company in Atlanta is the successful high earners ($150-$175k base and above) live in Fulton and parts of Dekalb, are generally not "in your face" religious and vote Democrat. The mid earners are more the selfish "me me me" people who tend to live in places like Forsythe and Cherokee (cause they cost less), vote Republican, evangelize their religion constantly and blame their own lack of success on Democrat polices, immigrants, yankees or whatever scapegoat they can think of. Most are so sucked in by the Neil Boortz, Fox, Limbugh BS they fail to realize that smart people are successful in GA whoever is in power or whatever the tax rate is. Pretty good case to be made that GA was more successful under Roy Barnes but of course he changed the flag so lets vote him and the liberals out
I can agree with this. People who are very high earners also tend to be very well educated. They are wealthy enough to realize that a small increase in their tax rates won't wipe out their wealth, and they're educated enough to be turned off by the anti intellectual rhetoric of many Republicans. Romney did win most of Buckhead, but I think it's an exception because many of the families there are very old south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM

516 posts, read 634,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I can agree with this. People who are very high earners also tend to be very well educated. They are wealthy enough to realize that a small increase in their tax rates won't wipe out their wealth, and they're educated enough to be turned off by the anti intellectual rhetoric of many Republicans. Romney did win most of Buckhead, but I think it's an exception because many of the families there are very old south.
Your comment in no way reflects the larger reality. With the exception of the Virginia Highlands/Morningside areas, Republicans represent the wealthiest areas of Metro Atlanta and the rest of Georgia, for that matter. When only 23% of whites voted for Obama in the 2008 election, it is hard to make the case that Obama carries the wealthiest whites. Just look at who represents the more affluent communities of the area - Buckhead, Vinings, Sandy Springs, Milton, Johns Creek, East Cobb, etc. and you will see some of the most Republican voting precincts of the south.

Also, a lot of these affluent Republican voters are members of some large wealthy churches, too. Just look at Buckhead and you see Peachtree Presbyterian, Cathedral of Christ the King, Peachtree Road Methodist, and Buckhead Church, all large mega- churches busting at the seems with people, many of whom have high incomes and most voted for Romney.

If you want to continue with your illusion that Republican voters in this state are a bunch of redneck trailer park residents covered in tatoos with a crystal meth in the backyard, go ahead. However, it's obvious you must not get out of Midtown much, because if you had, you would have seen an abundance of Republican yard signs on West Paces Ferry Rd. and in Sandy Springs and Vinings.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 AM

631 posts, read 1,065,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Your comment in no way reflects the larger reality. With the exception of the Virginia Highlands/Morningside areas, Republicans represent the wealthiest areas of Metro Atlanta and the rest of Georgia, for that matter. When only 23% of whites voted for Obama in the 2008 election, it is hard to make the case that Obama carries the wealthiest whites. Just look at who represents the more affluent communities of the area - Buckhead, Vinings, Sandy Springs, Milton, Johns Creek, East Cobb, etc. and you will see some of the most Republican voting precincts of the south.

Also, a lot of these affluent Republican voters are members of some large wealthy churches, too. Just look at Buckhead and you see Peachtree Presbyterian, Cathedral of Christ the King, Peachtree Road Methodist, and Buckhead Church, all large mega- churches busting at the seems with people, many of whom have high incomes and most voted for Romney.

If you want to continue with your illusion that Republican voters in this state are a bunch of redneck trailer park residents covered in tatoos with a crystal meth in the backyard, go ahead. However, it's obvious you must not get out of Midtown much, because if you had, you would have seen an abundance of Republican yard signs on West Paces Ferry Rd. and in Sandy Springs and Vinings.
all right

Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,917,011 times
I find it hilarious how people on both sides attempt to allude to a misconception that their political party or ideas has a higher percentage of wealthy supporters then the other and that makes them better then the other.

It's as if wealthy people are the only ones who matter in the country when this is very far from the truth. This country makes up more then just one variety of people and it's up to the parties to try to relate to most or all people relevant to their interests. If you fail to do this, you will cease to be relevant to the interests of running this county.

Maybe that's the problem.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM

492 posts, read 622,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I find it hilarious how people on both sides attempt to allude to a misconception that their political party or ideas has a higher percentage of wealthy supporters then the other and that makes them better then the other.

It's as if wealthy people are the only ones who matter in the country when this is very far from the truth. This country makes up more then just one variety of people and it's up to the parties to try to relate to most or all people relevant to their interests. If you fail to do this, you will cease to be relevant to the interests of running this county.

Maybe that's the problem.

It's the same mentality that says that poor people shouldn't be living within 10 miles of them. Welcome to Georgia.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,352,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
It's the same mentality that says that poor people shouldn't be living within 10 miles of them. Welcome to Georgia.
Well I guess China is so perfect so you should move there? Many of the wealthiest majority Republican areas are within 10 miles of poverty. You just want to pretend everybody in the city is a Democrat, but many in the CoA are Republican.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,352,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Of course it is an exception because it does not work into to your ideas. In some SFH precincts Romney won over 80%. The wealthiest precincts in Buckhead went Romney.

There are reasons in part of the country where white wealthy areas vote majority Democrat, but it is not some cute hipster reason. Somebody else can get into that can of worms.

Obama won people with incomes below 50k; Romney won 51-99k & 100k+.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,591,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Of course it is an exception because it does not work into to your ideas. In some SFH precincts Romney won over 80%. The wealthiest precincts in Buckhead went Romney.

There are reasons in part of the country where white wealthy areas vote majority Democrat, but it is not some cute hipster reason. Somebody else can get into that can of worms.

Obama won people with incomes below 50k; Romney won 51-99k & 100k+.
Its not that simple. The rich people in banking industries, oil, gas, etc voted Romney. The rich in information technology, R&D, science, etc vote Obama. Just look at the top 10 contributors to the Obama and Romney campaigns.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 AM

738 posts, read 1,151,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Hey now. My trailerpark-tattoos-methheads description was in response to a specific tongue-in-cheek question about conservative meth addicts, in a thread about Cherokee and Forsyth. It was not about Midtown or Vinings, nor the state in general, nor the majority of Republican voters.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 AM

880 posts, read 2,523,912 times
As much as I hate to say it, race does have a bit to do with it. My brother is an urban planner and showed me some interesting links_: Just type in arcgis 2008 election results by precinct and you will get a great us map of precinct results from across the country. It can even be converted to satellite view and zoom in to street level. Also if you type spacial social science lab and go to view larger map on the site, it will give you a map of the census districts and their demographics overlaying the precincts. I found only about 5 or 6 precincts outside the perimeter with majority white populations that went for President Obama in 2008. Only about 2 or 3 of those were 50% or more. Take into account the majority of blacks and Hispanics vote democrat, but tend to be socially conservative. Heck, even the most conservative precincts of Cherokee and Forsyth counties went for McCain by less than they did in southern Fayette County. The precinct that includes Brooks went for McCain by 91%! The only states that I have found precincts that went 90% or more Republican were Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. The Carolinas and Tennessee did not even go above the mid 80's in any of there precincts. Very interesting stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or