Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
Really? Makes total sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM

225 posts, read 369,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The short answer: There aren't many apartments in Forsyth and Cherokee.

The long answer: Since there are few apartments in those counties, the residents much more likely to be homeowners and married than other areas. People who buy a home and get married to raise children tend to be more responsible and plan ahead compared to people who rent monthly and have babies out of wedlock. People who plan ahead in life are much more likely to vote Republican. People who wander through life aimlessly tend to vote Democrat, since that party offers a bigger safety net to people who have made mistakes.
A bowl full of pig ****

In that case, Lets look at a parish/county in Louisiana w/ same demographics as south forsyth and cherokee. However the schools are failing, high poverty rate, food stamps, electric subsidies, etc but still manage to vote republican. Somehow those "republicans" live the same lifestyle as the "democrats you described."

There are many people who are well-to-do that vote democrats. And they are many people who are not well -to-do that votes Republican. Do not make this a political thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
Do not make this a political thing.
I don't know how OP's question about political conservatism could be answered in non-political terms.

Quote:
There are many people who are well-to-do that vote democrats. And they are many people who are not well -to-do that votes Republican.
Correct. Similarly, there are many wealthy people who are not educated. That doesn't change the fact that, on average, educated people are much more likely to become wealthy.

On average, people who plan their life tend to vote Republican while people who don't plan their life tend to vote Democrat.

Also, people who have trouble with simple mathematical concepts like averages and statistical outliers tend to be more easily fooled into believing liberal smokescreens that are used to obscure real social patterns.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM

225 posts, read 369,039 times
Quote:
I don't know how OP's question about political conservatism could be answered in non-political terms.

Let me clarify, You made it into a political attack solely based off opinion and no facts to back your claim.

Correct. Similarly, there are many wealthy people who are not educated. That doesn't change the fact that, on average, educated people are much more likely to become wealthy.

On average, people who plan their life tend to vote Republican while people who don't plan their life tend to vote Democrat.

Also, people who have trouble with simple mathematical concepts like averages and statistical outliers tend to be more easily fooled into believing liberal smokescreens that are used to obscure real social patterns.

Its just hard to believe that you would know exactly what every democrat is doing regarding future plans.

My question to you....What makes a "average smart person" Republican & why do Democrats "on average" tend not to plan ahead. I would love facts, stats, and other information please. I would also like to see the real social patterns as of today.

i believe that you have fallen victim to your own Conservative indoctrination. IMHO

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
What makes Forsyth and Cherokee so overwhelmingly conservative?
Maybe because the folks up in Cherokee and Forsyth are more interested in hanging on to what they've got and they think the liberals would like to take it away from them?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
The wealthy who vote Democrat majority normally do it because:
-Create wealth gap by having a dependent class.
-Wealth gap gives them power.
-Their company is heavily subsidized by the government.
-They come from ethnic groups that overwhelmingly vote Democratic.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM

492 posts, read 790,969 times
Quote:
The short answer: There aren't many apartments in Forsyth and Cherokee.

The long answer: Since there are few apartments in those counties, the residents much more likely to be homeowners and married than other areas. People who buy a home and get married to raise children tend to be more responsible and plan ahead compared to people who rent monthly and have babies out of wedlock. People who plan ahead in life are much more likely to vote Republican. People who wander through life aimlessly tend to vote Democrat, since that party offers a bigger safety net to people who have made mistakes.

Lol, so if people aren't ready or willing to take on piles of debt for the false "American dream" and spend all their money and time on kids then they are less responsible? This is one of the dumbest posts ever and I think I need to take a screenshot of it.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
so if people aren't ready or willing to take on piles of debt for the false "American dream" and spend all their money and time on kids then they are less responsible?
On average, yes.

Among people who have kids, the parents who marry are more likely to be future-time oriented planners and the parents who don't marry are more likely to be short-term thinkers looking for immediate gratification.

Also, people who don't have kids are less concerned about the stability of society since they don't have a personal stake in the future. They are less likely to think about the destabilizing effects of policy changes, like no-fault divorce or gay adoption.

I hope you weren't serious when you asked me if parents who spend more time on their kids are more responsible than parents who spend less time on their kids.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
I've long believed that it largely has to do with collectivism vs. individualism.

The more populated an area is, the more people have to constantly deal with other people and as such, a sense of community (collectivism) is attained by the people living there, if even only on a slightly uncontious level. This is represented by the democrats largely winning most of the populated cities in the United States.

People in more sparsely populated areas tend to retain their sense of individualism which is better represented by the republican party. As such, the areas between cities go red on the political map.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
What makes Forsyth and Cherokee so overwhelmingly conservative?
Lot's of old, white people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta