Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
that .. being...?
That being there are lots of Spanish speakers who live here hence the need for Spanish stop announcements. How is it any different from calling a customer service line and given the option to talk to someone who speaks Spanish? I just don't think it was done for international appeal, but to accommodate Spanish speakers who live here and use MARTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
That being there are lots of Spanish speakers who live here hence the need for Spanish stop announcements. How is it any different from calling a customer service line and given the option to talk to someone who speaks Spanish? I just don't think it was done for international appeal, but to accommodate Spanish speakers who live here and use MARTA.
Agreed. It's about providing access and service to the MARTA users. I doubt many folks outside of our borders will give it a thought.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Well I'm glad to see we aren't playing the illegal card.

I think the problem is as we become an international city for business we will attract more people from various places. Some for different reasons... some because they see the economic opportunity of locating here over a place with fewer jobs and some because they are high paid/value employees of an international company. Either way, they go hand in hand together. Being an international city isn't about attracting tourist. It is about having a powerful economy that integrates with the world more.

Yes, most of our friends from south of the border are only here for economic opportunity for themselves, being from a weaker economy.... but that goes hand in hand with the power of our economy and being a well connected city. It is a side effect of the powerful economy we have within the world.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Well I'm glad to see we aren't playing the illegal card.

I think the problem is as we become an international city for business we will attract more people from various places. Some for different reasons... some because they see the economic opportunity of locating here over a place with fewer jobs and some because they are high paid/value employees of an international company. Either way, they go hand in hand together. Being an international city isn't about attracting tourist. It is about having a powerful economy that integrates with the world more.

Yes, most of our friends from south of the border are only here for economic opportunity for themselves, being from a weaker economy.... but that goes hand in hand with the power of our economy and being a well connected city. It is a side effect of the powerful economy we have within the world.
Atlanta isn't the only city that has a large number of Spanish-speaking migrant workers and I don't think that's what plays into what makes a splace an international city but rather what it offers in terms of business, arts and culture. While it's great many big companies are here, Atlanta is still trying to forge an identity.

A mere ridership accommdation for a segment of the population that speaks another language and the characteristics of what makes a city international are apples and oranges.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Atlanta isn't the only city that has a large number of Spanish-speaking migrant workers and I don't think that's what plays into what makes a splace an international city but rather what it offers in terms of business, arts and culture. While it's great many big companies are here, Atlanta is still trying to forge an identity.

A mere ridership accommdation for a segment of the population that speaks another language and the characteristics of what makes a city international are apples and oranges.
I see what you are trying to say, but I also feel like maybe we are holding ourselves to too high of a standard.

The two go hand in hand. We have a powerful economy that attracts high paying jobs and attention, but that will also attract people who come here for economic opportunities even at the lower rung of the economic scale.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I see what you are trying to say, but I also feel like maybe we are holding ourselves to too high of a standard.

The two go hand in hand. We have a powerful economy that attracts high paying jobs and attention, but that will also attract people who come here for economic opportunities even at the lower rung of the economic scale.
That's any major city USA. I still think this addition on MARTA won't give the city any international "curb appeal."

Atlanta still has a lot of growing to do. When you look at the rankings of global cities, Atlanta is not in the top 25. The last list I saw, Atlanta was ranked 35. Maybe its notched up some, as I don't think I've seen the newest list. My point is Altanta, while wanting and trying to be an international city, its still not there yet. Having lots of people here from other countries and being an international alpha city isn't the same thing. This addition on MARTA is not going to contribute to this cause in any significant way.

I see your point as well, but I think that's a different discussion entirely.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
That's any major city USA. I still think this addition on MARTA won't give the city any international "curb appeal."

Atlanta still has a lot of growing to do. When you look at the rankings of global cities, Atlanta is not in the top 25. The last list I saw, Atlanta was ranked 35. Maybe its notched up some, as I don't think I've seen the newest list. My point is Altanta, while wanting and trying to be an international city, its still not there yet. Having lots of people here from other countries and being an international alpha city isn't the same thing. This addition on MARTA is not going to contribute to this cause in any significant way.

I see your point as well, but I think that's a different discussion entirely.
Out of all the cities in the world is 35 really considered that low?!

Like I said... I think some of us are holding ourselves to too high of a standard

Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
I like what the new screens on the Atlanta airport peoplemover train does. It scrolls through alot of languages, but it usually has a primary spot that stays English, it verbally announces English, but there is a screen that scrolls through everything in various languages and the English version for learning is right next to it.
Yeah, I know, and it's a clever idea. Maybe not really needed for MARTA, but I'd bet it would still make a nice impression on folks from other countries who come here.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
As a Caucasian man who only speaks English, I find that MARTA rides are enhanced by hearing announcements in two languages.

It's disappointing to see that some people feel the opposite.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
As a Caucasian man who only speaks English, I find that MARTA rides are enhanced by hearing announcements in two languages.

It's disappointing to see that some people feel the opposite.
I have no issue with the fact that the announcements are in Spanish. I speak a little Spanish myself. I just don't think it makes Atlanta international, particularly because this is to cater to Spanish speaking residents who ride MARTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta