Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done with the 285/400 interchange?
Completely rebuild it from the ground up. 10 35.71%
Rebuild the worst ramps. 11 39.29%
Make minor cosmetic changes, such as reassigning lanes. 0 0%
Do nothing. We have bigger fish to fry. 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I actually agree with this somewhat. Although I think we need to take a different approach to building new limited access capacity instead of new, greenfield roadways.

I think we need to upgrade existing arterial roads into superarterials, and charge tolls to use the limited access lanes. I wrote extensively on my blog about this, but one corridor which looks especially suitable is Highway 92 between I-75 over to 400. That would be a gamechanger for congestion on the northside. And it would serve already-developed areas, rather than undeveloped areas.

Instead we just continue to make minor, but still extremely expensive, upgrades to existing limited access roads.
I agree. GA-20 seems to also be a candidate, though I haven't ever driven it. North Carolina is implementing this strategy with its "Superstreets" program. It's a conversion that includes some limiting of access and elimination of left turn signals by making left-turn motorists do a "Michigan Left".

Kudos though to GDOT adopting the Diverging Diamond interchange. It seems to have really helped at Ashoford Dunwoody and I-285
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i also noticed mr. Anti-transit money-saver gtcorndog voted to redesign the whole thing. Where's your fiscal responsibility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
that only applies to transit projects.
LOL! It is amazing how two standards can apply...

Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Is a new interchange suppose to simply help the congestion that backs up onto 285 Eastbound? I assume make it less dangerous to get onto GA400 coming that direction as well.

Here is the deal with the first issue. No matter how easily you can flow onto GA400, GA400 is a parking lot and will still have issues of creating congestion on 285 and other streets. If there is no where to go, there is no where to go. Also, 285 is typically backed up to from Spaghetti Junction to Ashford Dunwoody anyhow.

Bottom line with Atlanta traffic. You have too many drivers that are not very good at driving. You aren't going to solve that issue. Traffic is here to stay.
And that is the problem. If they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the 285/400 interchange but do little else, it's just going to pass the problems upstream. 400 in North Fulton will return to being the mess it once was, and don't even think about what will happen to 285.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 AM

175 posts, read 235,399 times
Has Anyone said how Long and redesign would take? I figur at least 5-10 years...By then that much more traffic will be using it...I can already see traffi headaches...Im not against making the intersection better...but its gonna take soooo long it aint funny...

Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not a civil engineer, so it's hard for me to say especially because I don't use that interchange often.

But I can say that the 285E to 400N ramp is totally laughable and an accident waiting to happen....except I'm positive it must be thousands of accidents that have already happened.
I so agree. The whole thing is a nightmare. There simply isn't enough merging room for the volume of vehicles going at that speed.
p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta