U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: West End Atlanta
1,097 posts, read 657,809 times
Reputation: 707
Default How will Delta's 49% purchase of Virgin Atlantic possibly benefit Atlanta ?

On December 11, 2012, Delta shocks the airline industry by purchasing 49% of Virgin Atlantic based in London, England for only $360 million from Singapore Airlines. Some are saying it was solely for its New York JFK and Newark Flights to London Heathrow airport. Heathrow is the world busiest Airport for International only flights.

I believe it was impossible for Delta to Ignore gaining access to the most lucurative and profitable routes for Business and First class travelers that London Heathrow passenger provides. Although locally we may not see any benefits until the Department of Transportaion finalizes everything. One thing was sure today, Atlanta based Delta rattle the transporation sector by pulling off such a deal, and gain a bit of prestige with the Virgin Atlantic hook-up.

Furthermore starting in March 2013 Delta will have 3 daily flights to London's Heathrow Airport from Atlanta. It will be interesting to see what kind of coordination between Virgin Atlantic will be in the Future with those Delta flights.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
 
230 posts, read 209,607 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
On December 11, 2012, Delta shocks the airline industry by purchasing 49% of Virgin Atlantic based in London, England for only $360 million from Singapore Airlines. Some are saying it was solely for its New York JFK and Newark Flights to London Heathrow airport. Heathrow is the world busiest Airport for International only flights.

I believe it was impossible for Delta to Ignore gaining access to the most lucurative and profitable routes for Business and First class travelers that London Heathrow passenger provides. Although locally we may not see any benefits until the Department of Transportaion finalizes everything. One thing was sure today, Atlanta based Delta rattle the transporation sector by pulling off such a deal, and gain a bit of prestige with the Virgin Atlantic hook-up.

Furthermore starting in March 2013 Delta will have 3 daily flights to London's Heathrow Airport from Atlanta. It will be interesting to see what kind of coordination between Virgin Atlantic will be in the Future with those Delta flights.
Doesn't Delta already have at least 3 daily flights between Atlanta and Heathrow?

I'll get back to my main concern about this deal latter in the evening, when I have some more free time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
 
4,280 posts, read 3,682,985 times
Reputation: 2204
The airline industry likes to stagnate.

Remember when everyone was super excited about Southwest? What impact has it had? As far as I can tell, not much. Airtran and Delta regularly undersell the so-called discount airline.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
 
891 posts, read 494,129 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The airline industry likes to stagnate.

Remember when everyone was super excited about Southwest? What impact has it had? As far as I can tell, not much. Airtran and Delta regularly undersell the so-called discount airline.
No one should have been excited about Southwest coming here. They haven't been cheaper than the major carriers for years. All they have accomplished is ruining Airtran.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 AM
 
2,671 posts, read 5,583,926 times
Reputation: 1394
Hopefully it will mean more hot British girls coming to Atlanta Not that Atlanta doesn't already have its fair share of local hot women, but I do love British girls!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 AM
 
Location: College Park
2,384 posts, read 1,190,448 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Hopefully it will mean more hot British girls coming to Atlanta Not that Atlanta doesn't already have its fair share of local hot women, but I do love British girls!
Hmmm. No doubt they have some attractive ladies. But I was under the impression they are in the minority.

Why is this not on ajc.com?!?!?!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 AM
 
1,125 posts, read 1,794,396 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Why is this not on ajc.com?!?!?!
Don’t hold your breath for lower fares in Delta-Virgin Atlantic deal | The Biz Beat

Virgin Atlantic does not fly to Atlanta. The impact, if any, should be negligible on Atlanta.

Heard on TV that this was probably done to get access to Heathrow gates etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
 
Location: College Park
2,384 posts, read 1,190,448 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Don’t hold your breath for lower fares in Delta-Virgin Atlantic deal | The Biz Beat

Virgin Atlantic does not fly to Atlanta. The impact, if any, should be negligible on Atlanta.

Heard on TV that this was probably done to get access to Heathrow gates etc.
Yes, but this is about DELTA, a company synonymous with the city. Pathetic that there is not even a mention on their site.

It is speculated that this will add additional London routes to ATL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
 
252 posts, read 231,386 times
Reputation: 109
i prefer Virgin Atlantic to British Airways so if they change the Delta flights to Virgin Atlantic, I would be happy.

Otherwise, I'll stick to BA when flying to London
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
 
2,827 posts, read 2,372,615 times
Reputation: 1241
Definitely Atlanta doesn't play much of a role in this deal. It's mainly New York - London and not much more.

However, it's tough to imagine Delta will want to continue flying a bunch of random jumbo jets from London to places like Las Vegas, Orlando, Cancun, Jamaica, and so on. Some of those routes appear to be begging for consolidation. Some of them are only offered a couple times a week even.

Delta could offer far more consistent services to these sorts of places--and to plenty more vacation areas--by interchanging with its hub in Atlanta. NYC doesn't have great connectivity to these resort areas, but we do. We handle ~4,500 transfer pax per day to Latin America, which is roughly tied with Houston for second place, behind Miami.

So I don't think we'll see any new destinations out of this, but maybe a new service by Virgin mainly focused on transfer traffic. Which would be a moderate win.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top