Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM

150 posts, read 151,746 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I recently moved to Atlanta (this past summer) for a new career opportunity. I relocated from Jacksonville, FL. Please feel free to view my profile to learn a little about me.

My question, is what is the best way to meet people? Im looking to make friends, and as of now the coworker route is not my best option as most of them are married and out of my age group (I'm 25).

I've started looking into Meetup.com, and also mingling with people at the bar and what not but still, more options the better. Removed

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 12-11-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,755,771 times
Volunteer

What do you like to do when not working?

Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM

Thats a tough question as of now, before I moved I would hit golf balls, play tennis, play flag football, go to the park, go to bars/restaurants, cook etc. But that was mainly surrounded by a group of friends I developed from growing up in Jax. I still enjoy the same things and still engage in most of them but mainly by myself. I have an uncle here who I hang out with sometimes, but still.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,824,361 times
You should go tour the downtown area.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,755,771 times
Meetup.com is definitely a good start. How about running - there are lots of group running events. There are clinics to get your started on your first 5K and 10K etc.

What area of town do you live?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,998,458 times
I see you like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and are a mechanical engineer....that would lead me to believe that you are at least a little bit nerdy. Atlanta hosts the biggest nerd convention in the world each year, Dragoncon. Maybe you can get involved with the organizers of that? I'm sure they prepare all year and you might meet some people that way.

Always good to go to the same bars often and get to know the regulars and the staff. I always found it is easier to get to know people if you go during the week instead of on weekends when it's louder and more crowded.

I learned a lesson after already in a relationship that I wish I knew when I was single: dogs are a great way to meet people. Everyone knows it's easy to meet women when you have a cute puppy, but even when the dog grows up, it's still really easy to meet people at dog parks because people have nothing to do but socialize with each other while their dogs are playing. If you don't have a dog, maybe your uncle has one you can borrow! You can also volunteer at one of the local shelters. Atlanta Humane Society is huge, but there are others too.

I have a friend who was never that social, but he has met a lot of people at Summit rock climbing center. Apparently it's a really social group. Also, the Atlanta Outdoor Club is huge and has tons of events and everybody is really open and social. People of all skill levels participate in the events and you have everything from people who get together to take hiking trips in Peru to people who are really only in it for the parties.

I don't know if you are Christian or have a denomination, but I do know that tons of singles your age go to that non-denominational North Point Community Church. There are literally thousands of singles who go there. The whole non-denominational thing where you watch a pastor on a jumbotron and listen to a rock gospel band never appealed to me, but it's extremely popular.

I know there are also a lot of intramural sports that happen at Piedmont Park. I'm not sure if anything is going on right now, but there is a pretty decent flag football team and also a big kickball league, which is co-ed. For some reason, bocce ball is also getting popular. I know they do it at the Midway pub and Ormsby's.

There are a lot of really kind of oddball things going on around Atlanta that aren't obvious. For example, there's a rowing club that rows on the Chatthoochee in Roswell. And just all kinds of totally random things like that. I think Oysterfest should be coming up sometime early next year and lots of people always go to that.

Oh, there's also a group called Atlantahash which is a bunch of runners that run in strange environments and then go drinking afterwards. One of my co-workers does it and really likes it. Atlantahash.com is their site.

You can also take classes at the Whole World Theater to learn improv. Those guys love to party. Some of the edgier people from Whole World splintered off and formed Village Theater. I'm not sure if they offer classes yet or not, but they are fun guys.

Those are just a few ideas to hopefully get you started. Atlanta has a lot of social activities, but none are really obvious to the naked eye.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I see you like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and are a mechanical engineer....that would lead me to believe that you are at least a little bit nerdy. Atlanta hosts the biggest nerd convention in the world each year, Dragoncon. Maybe you can get involved with the organizers of that? I'm sure they prepare all year and you might meet some people that way.

Always good to go to the same bars often and get to know the regulars and the staff. I always found it is easier to get to know people if you go during the week instead of on weekends when it's louder and more crowded.

I learned a lesson after already in a relationship that I wish I knew when I was single: dogs are a great way to meet people. Everyone knows it's easy to meet women when you have a cute puppy, but even when the dog grows up, it's still really easy to meet people at dog parks because people have nothing to do but socialize with each other while their dogs are playing. If you don't have a dog, maybe your uncle has one you can borrow! You can also volunteer at one of the local shelters. Atlanta Humane Society is huge, but there are others too.

I have a friend who was never that social, but he has met a lot of people at Summit rock climbing center. Apparently it's a really social group. Also, the Atlanta Outdoor Club is huge and has tons of events and everybody is really open and social. People of all skill levels participate in the events and you have everything from people who get together to take hiking trips in Peru to people who are really only in it for the parties.

I don't know if you are Christian or have a denomination, but I do know that tons of singles your age go to that non-denominational North Point Community Church. There are literally thousands of singles who go there. The whole non-denominational thing where you watch a pastor on a jumbotron and listen to a rock gospel band never appealed to me, but it's extremely popular.

I know there are also a lot of intramural sports that happen at Piedmont Park. I'm not sure if anything is going on right now, but there is a pretty decent flag football team and also a big kickball league, which is co-ed. For some reason, bocce ball is also getting popular. I know they do it at the Midway pub and Ormsby's.

There are a lot of really kind of oddball things going on around Atlanta that aren't obvious. For example, there's a rowing club that rows on the Chatthoochee in Roswell. And just all kinds of totally random things like that. I think Oysterfest should be coming up sometime early next year and lots of people always go to that.

Oh, there's also a group called Atlantahash which is a bunch of runners that run in strange environments and then go drinking afterwards. One of my co-workers does it and really likes it. Atlantahash.com is their site.

You can also take classes at the Whole World Theater to learn improv. Those guys love to party. Some of the edgier people from Whole World splintered off and formed Village Theater. I'm not sure if they offer classes yet or not, but they are fun guys.

Those are just a few ideas to hopefully get you started. Atlanta has a lot of social activities, but none are really obvious to the naked eye.

Thanks for the insight. And I wouldnt call myself nerdy by any means. I just like what I do

Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Meetup.com is definitely a good start. How about running - there are lots of group running events. There are clinics to get your started on your first 5K and 10K etc.

What area of town do you live?

I live in Buckhead, right off of peachtree rd, just north of collier. Im not the biggest fan of running, but I do like to exercise and be active.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,789,093 times
You haven't answered the most important question: Are you a hot female or a dude?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 AM

10,737 posts, read 13,307,584 times
rselah - If you like tennis, I would suggest joining an ALTA team - Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association. It is one of the largest amateur tennis leagues in the country. There are teams out of Piedmont Park, Bitsy Grant, etc. It's a ton of fun and a great way to meet folks of all ages, skill levels, and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta