Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,793,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Downtown may be a new frontier eventually. But I bet we'll be dead and buried before that frontier is crossed.
We'll see it happen in 10 years. Its not like Downtown has nobody living there, just less than Midtown and Buckhead. Also Buckhead is a name know around the world with Atlanta so a lot of new comers know that name and will pay the rent to live there. The last frontier will be South Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,214,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Well for starts, Allen Plaza did have plans for another 40 plus story tower and is probadly not giving up any land, particularly for Apartments. Get serious about any development around Centennial park, it may be a bit too expenses for Apartment developers to buy land, considering that the new College Hall of Fame, and the Civil Rights Muesum are current projects being built there.
What's the status of the Post Properties apartment project right beside Museum Tower. I know they haven't broken ground, but there were definitely plans for apartments near Centennial Park (with a C.O.P. address to boot). I want to see more apartments in Luckie Marietta and a 24-hour grocery on that northeast lot at C.O.P. and Ivan Allen that's just SCREAMING for a downtown grocery store.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,214,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
We'll see it happen in 10 years. Its not like Downtown has nobody living there, just less than Midtown and Buckhead. Also Buckhead is a name know around the world with Atlanta so a lot of new comers know that name and will pay the rent to live there. The last frontier will be South Downtown.
Hell yes, and it will make the entire city look larger. I read that the original plan for South Downtown was an international village with a restaurant selection like Buford Highway has today. I'd love nothing more than to see downtown developed to point where Mechanicsville and Peoplestown feel as close to downtown as Midtown does.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I'd love nothing more than to see downtown developed to point where Mechanicsville and Peoplestown feel as close to downtown as Midtown does.
Unfortunately there is a huge barrier, I-20, and the massive downtown interchange. The freeways were put there to keep the majority AA neighborhoods separated from downtown in the 50's and 60's.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM

3,698 posts, read 5,962,794 times
Well, downtown is getting a new student apartment building (private development) in the range of 20 floors. The first phase is going to be rehabbing that old hotel on Dobbs St into apartments, and is supposed to be open this fall.

So it's not like downtown is completely left out; they're getting an eyesore removed and a couple hundred more students living there in the near term, and a new highrise in the longer term.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM

454 posts, read 819,374 times
I think parts of Downtown will do well in the next decade. Lots of land is being sat on right now by developers.

All areas between Buckhead and Downtown are seeing growth and all will expand as people choose to live further in.

Midtown will lead other areas I think.

Probably the best longterm investment you can make in Atlanta is the SW areas on the path of the Beltline.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM

32,008 posts, read 36,663,919 times
Quote:
Unfortunately there is a huge barrier, I-20, and the massive downtown interchange. The freeways were put there to keep the majority AA neighborhoods separated from downtown in the 50's and 60's.
That was part of it but bear in mind that there were a slew of white folks living south of I-20, too.

Although big infrastructure is always disruptive no matter where it's placed, people are pretty good at working around it if you give them a little time. Look at how development has grown up around freeways and interchanges all over metro Atlanta.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Although big infrastructure is always disruptive no matter where it's placed, people are pretty good at working around it if you give them a little time. Look at how development has grown up around freeways and interchanges all over metro Atlanta.
See Vine City for the opposite. The massive GWCC has cut it off from Downtown. Mechanicsville, Summerhill, and Vine City have suffered from being located close to major sports venues. The landscape is littered with empty parking lots that sit empty most of the year. When they are full the users, who are not from the adjacent area, leave trash strewn all over the place.
How can we consider gas stations, convenience stores, fast food, and half-empty strip malls good development?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM

32,008 posts, read 36,663,919 times
Quote:
See Vine City for the opposite. The massive GWCC has cut it off from Downtown. Mechanicsville, Summerhill, and Vine City have suffered from being located close to major sports venues. The landscape is littered with empty parking lots that sit empty most of the year. When they are full the users, who are not from the adjacent area, leave trash strewn all over the place.
How can we consider gas stations, convenience stores, fast food, and half-empty strip malls good development?
Well, that's true. I was referring more to freeways than than sports venues. As you point out, the latter tend to be surrounded with parking lots that are only in use a limited amount of time.

However, strong neighborhoods tend to knit themselves back together around freeways once the dust has settled. Look at areas like Grant Park, Lenox, Sherwood Forest, Midtown, Cascade, Peachtree Battle and Underwood Hills.

If a neighborhood is already fragile or is coming unglued due to other factors, there's no doubt that a freeway can be a crushing blow.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM

7,579 posts, read 10,732,672 times
Quote:
That is a strong accusation. Especially given that our freeways were built similar to many other cities across the U.S. Were you and your family even from here at the time?

Back in the 50s and 60s many of those neighborhoods south weren't all necessarily AA majority and many living around the area applauded them as a way of getting rid of existing congestion on local arteries. That actually happened, until the area grew so much.

Southern and western part of downtown struggled early on from the barrier caused by the railroads. The city tried to overcome that with the bridges in the area. This set the course for the wealth and business development moving north and much industrial development moving south.

That made it cheaper to build the freeways further south. The freeways also didn't cut off the majority AA neighborhoods to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta