Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,084,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Maybe the time isn't right? Maybe the funding isn't adequate? Maybe that would be too much merging for one year? I'm sure there are more mergers in the pipeline. I feel like a UGA-Augusta merger would soil the pants of every person in Augusta. Since they would be "losing their identity"

even though a UGA name would bring more recognition to Augusta..not less.
What timing would be right? People in Augusta would never be ready for a UGA merger in their city. If anything it would have been easier to merge UGA and GHSU as both are research universities and only the admin of GHSU would have to be downsized. Then the BOR could let ASU be as is. A GRU-UGA merger complicates things.

Quote:
You need to pay attention to budgeting and finance. Merging GSU with SPSU..merging UGA with GSU...GT with SPSU and what not. Merging isn't as simple as it sounds. It's a long extensive process. If you're not careful you'll end up with a bunch of ineffective campuses(and too many students/faculty) that ruin the school and the school system.
And yet the BOR is merging schools. If more mergers are planned, schools like GSU should consider their long term strategic positions. If UGA reaching out to have a med school in Augusta is such a great idea, then GSU reaching out to have an engineering school in Marietta might be a good idea too.

Quote:
i.e. Georgia Perimeter College
It's this mission creep that the BOR seems ineffective to stop. GPC is better off as one of Georgia's two-year schools to transition academically weaker students to college work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I don't want to see UGA merge with GRU, but UGA is know nationally and it would do far more for Augusta than the name Georgia Regents University. I'm beginning to think GRU is just the beginning. UGA-Augusta could follow the example of the University of Alabama-Birmingham, a separate school from the University of Alabama, and UAB has a pretty nice medical school I may add.
I never thought having other schools bearing the name of the flagship school was a good idea. UAB just confuses people into thinking it is part of UA. UNC-Greenville, UNC- Wilmington, UNC-Charlotte...just confuses people too.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,900,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I never thought having other schools bearing the name of the flagship school was a good idea. UAB just confuses people into thinking it is part of UA. UNC-Greenville, UNC- Wilmington, UNC-Charlotte...just confuses people too.
I understand, I can see the state doing something like this though, and I agree with you, merging UGA and GRU is unwise and extremely complicated, that school would have over 42,000 students. I fully support the merger of ASU and GHSU and I think it is wise to look at UAB as an example because both schools are huge medical and liberal arts schools. Whether they can reach the same level under GRU or UGA Augusta is left to personal opinion and time, and I think the school should have been Georgia Arts and Medicine(Georgia A&M) in the first place because it fits in with the naming. Imagine the University of Georgia, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University and Georgia Arts and Medicine University, it just fits in.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 PM

472 posts, read 805,291 times
A UGA-GRU merger is much different from a GSU-SPSU merger(for engineering). I am exhausted of debating this same topic with you over and over again, so we'll agree to disagree regarding that merger. I would rather UGA take over the Athens medical school. Frankly, UGA already has a medical school. There are currently medical students in Athens. I don't see the need for UGA to gobble up GRU. That may be detrimental to UGA and GRU in the long run.

I do agree that GPC's four year take is another attempt to grub money from low preforming students who often times shouldn't be in college in the first place. It's one thing to use a CC to transfer and save money. It's another to make CC grades 13 and 14 that students are socially forced into.

Augusta State was not a well functional school. It needed to be merged. I'm glad it did.

The names do not confuses anyone. Most research Us have branch campuses. University of Washington-Seattle, Tacoma, Bothel. Ohio State has six campuses. UGA already has two(Tifton and Griffin). Georgia Tech-Atlanta. Georgia Tech-Savannah. UNC as you mentioned. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, UMISH Dearborn. University of Texas(UT-Austin) has 6 campuses and several medical schools. U Alabama-Tuscaloosa, UAB. UMASS-Amherst, UMASS-Boston. The entire SUNY and CUNY system etc.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Augusta State was not a well functional school. It needed to be merged. I'm glad it did.
It needs to be merged with a similar institution and GHSU is not that. The two couldn't be more different in terms of students, faculty, and mission. But what's done is done so they'll have to muddle through this.

Quote:
The names do not confuses anyone. Most research Us have branch campuses. University of Washington-Seattle, Tacoma, Bothel. Ohio State has six campuses. UGA already has two(Tifton and Griffin). Georgia Tech-Atlanta. Georgia Tech-Savannah. UNC as you mentioned. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, UMISH Dearborn. University of Texas(UT-Austin) has 6 campuses and several medical schools. U Alabama-Tuscaloosa, UAB. UMASS-Amherst, UMASS-Boston. The entire SUNY and CUNY system etc.
UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greenville, UNC- Wilmington are separate schools with separate diplomas. You don't graduate from UNC-Chapel Hill if you go to them. Likewise graduating from UAB doesn't mean you graduated from UA. People get confused if they are separate schools or satellite campuses. And don't confuse UT-Austin with UT-San Antonio. They are in the UT system but they are separate schools. But saying UT implies UT-Austin. Sharing names confuses people. When we say UNC...it is assumed to be UNC-Chapel Hill so other grads need to add the city to distinguish themselves from Chapel Hill. For that reason, I don't want to convert say KSU to UGA-Kennesaw, or GRU to UGA-Augusta. People will think they are UGA (-Athens) grads.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM

I haven't come across a situation where someone from UNC-Charlotte claims to be from UNC-Chapel Hill or vice versa. We're not talking about UGA-kennesaw(where did that even come from?). We're talking about this:

UGA Augusta
UGA Athens

UGA Augusta will be the medical campus. UGA Athens will be the main campus. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me?

Maybe this is why UGA should just bubble off the medical partnership into it's own School of Medicine. Perhaps in the future. They will need it for their AAU pitch anyways. For now, I think the partnership is doing fine for UGA and GRU. The Athens campus still has a full capacity of 100 medical students to be met. Once the class of 2010 graduate, I think UGA will push for accreditation from AAMC and respective bodies. Athens Regional and St. Marys could be further utilized for rotations and residencies, and they'll be good to go. They'll first bolster up their research investment to secure a decent ranking once the conversion goes through. After that they may add rehab science or physical therapy or whatever medical education Georgia needs. Maybe even nursing.

Then GRU could focus on opening that Atlanta campus you're hoping for.

GRU could be a tool for creating medical schools all over Georgia. GT-GRU medical partnership. GSU-GRU medical partnership. GA Southern-GRU medical partnership.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
I haven't come across a situation where someone from UNC-Charlotte claims to be from UNC-Chapel Hill or vice versa.
It's not so much claiming. It's just not clear what is the relationship. Calling it University of Charlotte is much clearer than UNC-Charlotte. And they often just say UNC when it means UNC-Chapel Hill.

Quote:
We're not talking about UGA-kennesaw(where did that even come from?). We're talking about this:

UGA Augusta
UGA Athens

UGA Augusta will be the medical campus. UGA Athens will be the main campus. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me?
If it means it is a UGA school then it would be fine with me. Probably difficult to do now that they made GRU unless the UGA-Augusta now becomes a satellite but offering a full range of courses from undergad to PhD. And that would beg for separating the schools yet again.

Quote:
Then GRU could focus on opening that Atlanta campus you're hoping for.

GRU could be a tool for creating medical schools all over Georgia. GT-GRU medical partnership. GSU-GRU medical partnership. GA Southern-GRU medical partnership.
If it follows that UGA model you described for GSU...fine. But I'm not sure GRU wants to spin off med schools. But if there is one in Atlanta, then there should only be one. Not both GT-med and GSU-med. And I doubt there will be a Ga Southern-GRU. It would probably be GRU-Savannah.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

If it follows that UGA model you described for GSU...fine. But I'm not sure GRU wants to spin off med schools. But if there is one in Atlanta, then there should only be one. Not both GT-med and GSU-med. And I doubt there will be a Ga Southern-GRU. It would probably be GRU-Savannah.
I know this will raise some question marks, but I would like to see a GRU-GT medical partnership that focuses on biotechnology, biomedical and biomolecular engineering, as well as genetic counseling and gene therapy. Maybe not a spinoff medical school, as Atlanta already has so many fighting for internships/externships/residencies/rotations..but a research partnership would sit well for the entire state. GSU, UGA and Emory could also get in on the research. Much like how UGA, Emory, CDC and GT are collaborating on malaria research.

Especially since Georgia wants to strengthen it's foothold in medical technologies. I think it would be a truly phenomenal thing.

Or maybe UGA could jump on that train. Someone should do it.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,013,647 times
I think Augusta(GRU-Augusta is too long) will quickly become the alternative to Georgia Tech and Georgia over the next few years. Augusta becoming the second NCI cancer center in the state after Emory is too much for Georgia State IMO.

2011 Budget
1. UGA 1,149,530,800
2. GT 1,096,344,600
3. GHSU 653,534,600 + ASU 82,941,700= 736,476,300
4. GA State 654,750,400
5. Kennesaw 303,761,900
6. GA Southern 279,184,200

University System of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hopefully somebody from Atlanta can share the future/ongoing projects from GSU, and GT. Are they growing similar to the developments here in Augusta? I think Augusta has the advantage, because everything is new including the university.

1. $76 medical commons(under construction) & the $100 million cancer center( begins end of 2013) in the Medical District.
2. Performing arts center, research building, student dorms, etc on the river.
3. Academic buildings, student dorms, and parking decks on ASU main campus/Walton Way.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think Augusta(GRU-Augusta is too long) will quickly become the alternative to Georgia Tech and Georgia over the next few years. Augusta becoming the second NCI cancer center in the state after Emory is too much for Georgia State IMO.

2011 Budget
1. UGA 1,149,530,800
2. GT 1,096,344,600
3. GHSU 653,534,600 + ASU 82,941,700= 736,476,300
4. GA State 654,750,400
5. Kennesaw 303,761,900
6. GA Southern 279,184,200

University System of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hopefully somebody from Atlanta can share the future/ongoing projects from GSU, and GT. Are they growing similar to the developments here in Augusta? I think Augusta has the advantage, because everything is new including the university.

1. $76 medical commons(under construction) & the $100 million cancer center( begins end of 2013) in the Medical District.
2. Performing arts center, research building, student dorms, etc on the river.
3. Academic buildings, student dorms, and parking decks on ASU main campus/Walton Way.
I have to disagree with you there. GRU's undergraduate programs are essentially ASU's undergraduate programs. So essentially you're saying that Augusta State will be chosen over GSU, GCSU, KSU, GA Southern etc. Highly unlikely if even possible.

ASU's campus will still serve ASU students. The only new thing is this BS-MD program, which many schools have. I highly doubt anyone would choose to live in Augusta over college towns or Atlanta. There simply isn't enough to do for the students..not professionally, not recreationally, not academically. ASU hasn't built up it's undergrad just yet.

BUT! What I do think will happen is Augusta students who would otherwise go to GSU, GA Southern, SPSU, KSU etc. might instead of choose to stay at GRU. That number probably won't be significant to the overall system or population. However, it probably will result in some of the brighter students staying at GRU(note the avg SAT scores). But It's not like all the creme of the crop to the back up schools will suddenly flock to ASU simply because they're mildly affiliated with a medical school.

Augusta's growth is phenomenal. GRU is a phenomenal choice for medical and dental students(especially considering the tuition), but not so much for undergrads.

Regarding GT and GSU, Georgia Tech's growth has been pretty steady over the past two decades. I mean, this IS Georgia Tech we're talking about. They have the Engineered-BioSystems Building, the Carbon-Neutral Energy Solutions Laboratory, the new tennis complex, the Clough study commons etc.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that GT would churn out top level discoveries if partnered with GRU. The school is, quite literally, a gold mine for STEM research. As for GSU, the Center of Behavioral Neuroscience is based in Atlanta. This essentially led to the formation of GSU's neuroscience institute. Then we have the new science building that will be coming up right next to the Park Place science center. Apart from this, GSU has mostly focused on it's housing. We have the two hotels converted into a new residence hall, and we have the old Ramada inn which will be converted into a new housing place as well. They will also be acquiring a small facility near the GSU Commons to serve as an administrative building, as an effort to expand north.

So let's hypothetically say that GRU starts a "Georgia Medical Research Partnership" in-conjunction with all of our research universities. UGA will get it's own medical school, but after that GRU could create a medical research only facility inconjunction with all other research universities as well as Mercer and Emory. Medical research would include biotechnologies and bioengineering(GT) to agricultural, biological, ecological and environmental health science(UGA) to neurobiology research(Emory, Emory's Yerkes and GSU) to pharmacology and pharmaceutical science inventions(Mercer, GSU and UGA)

It sounds absolutely incredible doesn't it? Atlanta is the perfect place for this. The only caveat is the almighty dollar, or lack of, and the fact that no school has any incentive to do such a thing. Also, the fact that the USG doesn't like having standalone research institutions. The Skidaway Institute of Oceanography was the last one. They were merged quietly with UGA's marine extension institute along with the rest of the university mergers.

I do, however, think GRU should open up an Atlanta campus. UGA will take it's medical school to high places. However, that move will leave GRU where it was in 2005. Mercer did it, GRU should as well. I really hope GT pushes for a medical partnership with GRU though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta