U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM

13,421 posts, read 16,977,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
The brand was so good that both Ray Charles and Field Mob, Ludacris made a son about it.
Well actually, you've got it backward but the point is a good one all the same. Everybody in the WORLD knows the song. The state would be foolish not to capitalize on that.

RAY CHARLES "Georgia On My Mind" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM

52 posts, read 89,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Georgia is expected to have 14 million residents by 2030. What ever brand we have as a state must be working. If it's not broken don't fix it and Georgia's brand is not broken. If you want to make changes to individual cities, that's fine, but the state as a whole is good for decades to come in my opinion.

TAG :: State of the Industry :: Atlanta Region Population and Employment Forecast - 2040
What's working is a cheaper cost of living and maybe operations, not necessarily Georgia's image. I work for one of Atlanta's major employers and we have a tough time selling Georgia to candidates outside the state. In fact, one of the more frequent questions we're getting is, "Just how far is Honey Boo Boo from Atlanta?" I'd say that the country/redneck/bumpkin stereotype of the state is still alive and well.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,487,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin1229 View Post
What's working is a cheaper cost of living and maybe operations, not necessarily Georgia's image. I work for one of Atlanta's major employers and we have a tough time selling Georgia to candidates outside the state. In fact, one of the more frequent questions we're getting is, "Just how far is Honey Boo Boo from Atlanta?" I'd say that the country/redneck/bumpkin stereotype of the state is still alive and well.
Stereotypes will never go away for as long as we live. When you go to your business meetings are you selling Georgia or the city of Atlanta respectfully? People confuse the two all the time. Are we trying to attract companies and business to the state properly or to a specific area? If the state must recreate it's brand then it has to be a collaboration between all the assets in the state. We have to combine the big city life of Atlanta with the history and coast of Savannah with the Corporate presence of Columbus with the health and golf legacy of Augusta and so on and so forth. How do we brand all these into one super brand that the rest of the world will recognize? How about Georgia and the every changing scene. Georgia has everything anyone could want minus the desert and maybe the ski experience of Colorado.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,981,399 times
Georgia On My Mind is the real state brand. However,I just don't see the state using it as much,but the brand is out there.

Johnny Over There: Georgia On My Mind

Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
There seems to be way too much of a rural/urban divide in the state for an effective statewide brand to truly take hold. Truth be told, Georgia's brands are Atlanta, Savannah/the coast, and then everywhere else.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And don't say that the black mecca is Atlanta's identity. You should never use race to brand your city. How would this attract a diverse group of people?
Like it or not, that's part and parcel of Atlanta's identity and the city has rightfully embraced it. It's no different than cities like Nashville and Charlotte embracing the so-called "redneck" aspects of their culture (country music and NASCAR, respectfully). Southwestern cities embrace their Native American culture, Northeastern cities embrace their Italian and Irish cultures, upper Midwestern cities embrace their German and Scandinavian cultures, etc.--so what's so wrong about Atlanta embracing its African American culture? It's not the totality of what Atlanta is, but it's a significant part of it.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM

321 posts, read 511,247 times
Atlanta--Not gone with the wind. How about that for an identity?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:06 PM

8,328 posts, read 10,278,610 times
1) I didn't go to high school here, so I never took Georgia history. However, Georgia was one of the original 13 colonies, and that leads me to believe there is plenty of history here. I'm sure there was a Native American presence here, and there has to be some interesting history there. I bet the underground railroad also ran through parts of Georgia. We also have the start of the Appalachian Trail.....all kind of things that make Georgia interesting. The Georgia guidestones and the FEMA coffins are also interesting tidbits. There's interesting stuff all around Georgia, you just have to find it.

2) This may be opinion, but I just want to raise the point that Georgia On My Mind is not universally loved. I can't stand it. It makes me think of lame Stone Mountain laser light shows and Designing Women. It's outdated, boring, and in my opinion, it just isn't a very good song. I'm not going to change any minds with that, but I at least wanted to point out that the song is definitely not universally loved. I think it portrays an old, dated, and crummy vision of the state.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 PM

13,421 posts, read 16,977,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There seems to be way too much of a rural/urban divide in the state for an effective statewide brand to truly take hold. Truth be told, Georgia's brands are Atlanta, Savannah/the coast, and then everywhere else.
I think you're being unfair to the North Georgia Mountains, which certainly have as much a reputation for tourism as the coast. Further, the Georgia Department of Tourism does an admirable job of breaking down the various regions of the state for particular emphasis -- Presidential Pathways, Magnolia Midlands, Plantation Trace -- nine in all (including Metro Atlanta and Savannah / Coast). You can see the effort on their website. But I prefer the glossy, full-color state tourism guide that's published every year (and available at visitor centers and the like). This is what they send out to folks inquiring about the state and it's quite impressive. You really don't realize how much there is to see and do in Georgia -- particular of a historical nature -- until you look through the Georgia travel guide. Very comprehensive!

Good example: For war and history buffs, the SW corner of the state is simply amazing. The Andersonville National Historic Site, the National POW Museum, the National Infantry Museum and Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus, Historic Westville, Providence Canyon, Americus, Plains, Thomasville -- lots to appreciate down there. Are these places gonna draw families away from Disney World? Not likely, but they're valuable destinations nonetheless and contribute mightily to the cultural fabric of Georgia.

Last edited by Newsboy; 12-18-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,981,399 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or