U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM

9 posts, read 68,862 times

Advertisements

Hello friends, We bought a house in cumming recently. We have to put mulch in front of the house and at the sides of the house. We are scared after hearing that wood causes termites,if not used proper type of mulch.Can somebody advice on this ,as which type of mulch should be used. Also at the sides of the house is it a good idea to put mulch or grow grass( to avoid termite which option is better).
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,342,393 times
We were told to use cedar as it's the most insect resistant.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,578,014 times
I had always heard that eucalyptus mulch was good for that, but it's hard to find around here and expensive. Ask around.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,256,327 times
I have been told that bagged mulch like you buy at the landscape store is fairly resistant to termites because the ones that came with the mulch don't survive the warm temperature in the bag. Additionally, you should rake up old mulch before putting down new twice a year. Cypress wood may be the least attractive to termites, but regardless of the type, it is important to change it out pretty routinely.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 PM

37 posts, read 132,185 times
Don't worry so much about what type of mulch to use. Just make sure that is does not come within 6" of siding or trim. That way you won't trap moisture against the wall cladding or attract termites towards the walls themselves.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM

273 posts, read 1,607,718 times
Pine straw doesn't attract termites. And hspinnler is correct that it is also the moisture that attracts them. They need food, water, and a place to hide.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 PM

11,879 posts, read 45,692,788 times
Pinestraw is the most abundent and least expensive. Your next best choice is cypress mulch. Any mulch will help retain moisture- thats the purpose! The main thing to do is make sure the grade around the house falls away from the foundation and is not within 6" of framing/siding. The other thing to do is check your foundation/ slab for "tubes". Your termite protection company can give you further details.
And on another note- termite companies are now using bait systems for home protection. The bait is a nice clean and fresh piece of wood! Go figure.
Needless to say but- I'm not a huge fan of bait systems because of that fact. I prefer the old chemical barrier system- the "treehuggers" hate it because of so-called "enviromental impact"

Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,617,289 times
If I'm not mistaken (and I'm no insect expert), the primary termites in Georgia are subterranean, so they are likely in the ground somewhere near your home anyways, so I do not think the type of mulch you use will matter. I would keep it away from the house though and stick with pinestraw for those areas. I'll echo the comments of others, in that it is very important to maintain at least 6" of clearance between any wood siding and the ground - also make sure you don't have any bushes or trees touching the house (they say to keep 2' space, but that is impossible in some cases).

If you start to see little dirt "bumps" on the wood either inside or outside your house, or dirt "tubes" like they previous poster stated, get help immediately! One time I lived in an apartment and I noticed these little dirt bumps (maybe 1/2 a centimeter in diameter) on the wall in the closet - I brushed it off and sure enough a little white termite was poking around in the hole!!! Needless to say, I freaked out.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 AM

167 posts, read 678,828 times
Our termite company told me that mulch does not attract termites. His exact words were "termites don't eat bark!" So, we have been using pine bark mulch for about six years now with no termites. We get regular checks every year.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I had always heard that eucalyptus mulch was good for that, but it's hard to find around here and expensive. Ask around.
I wonder if it would also be a repellant for ants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or