U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,598,289 times

Advertisements

I will state something very simple but of profound importance: New home construction. Visiting family this week in Fayette County, I've noticed new houses are finally going up in several developments that were stagnant and abandoned for years, with pipes sticking out of the ground. Quite a bit of new residential going up in Savannah as well. Great to see!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 PM

3,317 posts, read 4,958,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I will state something very simple but of profound importance: New home construction. Visiting family this week in Fayette County, I've noticed new houses are finally going up in several developments that were stagnant and abandoned for years, with pipes sticking out of the ground. Quite a bit of new residential going up in Savannah as well. Great to see!
Very true. Here are the stats:

In all of 2011, we had 8,700 housing starts. Through October 2012, we have had 12,200 housing starts. So they're up almost 50% and we still don't have the last two months' data.

Here are the cities we're behind:

Austin (16,000)
Dallas (29,000)
Houston (36,000)
Los Angeles (14,000)
New York (22,000)
Phoenix (12,500)
Seattle (15,000)
Washington DC (18,000)

Also, over a third of our new housing units are multifamily. During the mid-2000s boom, we were lucky to have a fifth of them be multifamily.

We're still way below 2006 levels, but at least now that part of our economy is recovering from its comatose state.

Nonetheless, our construction employment continues to tumble. I really don't see what's stopping it from turning around, since construction of every type seems more robust than a couple years ago.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:50 PM

4,464 posts, read 4,098,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Very true. Here are the stats:

In all of 2011, we had 8,700 housing starts. Through October 2012, we have had 12,200 housing starts. So they're up almost 50% and we still don't have the last two months' data.

Here are the cities we're behind:

Austin (16,000)
Dallas (29,000)
Houston (36,000)
Los Angeles (14,000)
New York (22,000)
Phoenix (12,500)
Seattle (15,000)
Washington DC (18,000)

Also, over a third of our new housing units are multifamily. During the mid-2000s boom, we were lucky to have a fifth of them be multifamily.

We're still way below 2006 levels, but at least now that part of our economy is recovering from its comatose state.

Nonetheless, our construction employment continues to tumble. I really don't see what's stopping it from turning around, since construction of every type seems more robust than a couple years ago.
I think the market is still quite different for Atlanta. It seem like the Condo thing is back versus Multifamily developments.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
2012 has been a huge year in terms of announcements. We've got the following:

- Ponce City Market
- CFB HOF is going to go through
- Civil Rights Museum is going to go through
- Caterpillar factory in Athens
- Baxter factory in Social Circle
- Buckhead Atlanta is getting restarted
- (probable) GM innovation center to Roswell
- Mando auto parts plant in Hogansville (660 jobs, just recently announced, although it didn't get much attention)
- Stadium likely being developed

That's a whole lot of stuff that will come online over the next few years. And probably 20 active projects for pretty significant apartment developments. You've got to be happy about that if you live intown.

Finished projects mainly were just the international terminal, the Beltline trail, and not much more. But there will be a whole lot opening next year. Both Midtown highrises, for instance.

The biggest news of the year by far is that metro Atlanta didn't lose 10,000 jobs over 2011 as originally thought, but actually gained 35,000. So our economic recovery has been roughly average all along; for a while there were a ton of "Atlanta is doomed" type articles that turned out to be completely incorrect (although the acknowledgement of this development has been very fragmented) because they were based on preliminary labor data that was later revised by the USBLS. As of this time 12 months ago, the consensus was that Atlanta is going to go through a long period of contraction/stagnation.
Testa very excellent list wow. I really see no other American city that is prime for Robust growth like Atlanta. Maybe the the traffic woes was a blessing that stopped the evergrowing suburban sprawl, and will push growth to the core parts of Atlanta, and inside 285. Do you remember the proprosed Trump Condo towers that were to go up near the Arts Center? Does Donald Trump still own that land or did he sell it?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You know Newsboy, Fayette has always been my favorite county. I think most of Delta's well paid pilots reside in the county, so housing in Fayette, probadly is the most consistent of any Metro Atlanta county.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,934,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post

Krog Street Market (Opening next year)
I hope this is true, but no ground has been broken yet. I can't see it opening until 2014. Either way, should be a worthwhile and popular project for the area.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 AM
JPD

Streetcar construction is underway.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM

23,728 posts, read 19,469,803 times
1) Int'l Terminal
2) Ponce City Market
3) Eastside Trail
4) Buckhead Atlanta
5) Multiple apartment towers being built in Midtown.
6) Streetcar, but we can celebrate that once it opens.
7) Tourist development around Pemberton Place.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,986,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I hope this is true, but no ground has been broken yet. I can't see it opening until 2014. Either way, should be a worthwhile and popular project for the area.
The building is already there they just have to change some things around in it

Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The building is already there they just have to change some things around in it
A building is there. What they are planning is far more expansive than simply refurbishing an existing structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta