Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times

Advertisements

So before I even look at the responses in this thread, lemme guess, I'd get wasted if I played the drinking game with the following phrases:

-Nanny state
-Handouts
-Obamacare
-Welfare
-Subsidy (or any version of the word)
-Big government

Right?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
TANF does not include section 8 vouchers for housing and food stamp benefits. TANF is the cash payments that can be used for anything...so if you look at the large numbers of families receiving housing and food assistance then it's not exactly a war on the poor it is just packaged differently than before. Are there some people who don't receive Tanf who probably should? Sure. However, I think you are seeing the backlash of a population who have lost sympathy because of the abundant abuse of the system. Example...a house on my street is now rented section 8, the renters pay $75 a month for a house that should rent for 800+ and after Christmas, I saw their trash...52" led tv, a game console box, laptop box, and guess who has new 22" rims on their car? Obviously they can pay more than they do for rent.
It never fails to find a post like this. You have no idea who bought those gifts for these people. Also, there is such a thing as WORKING SECTION 8? Did you know that?

You're a nosey busy body. Get a life and a man.

Quote:
Example 2...I regularly see shoppers at Kroger pull out the peach EBT (food stamp) card to buy a ton of groceries which often include steaks, crab legs, shrimp, and then my favorite...everything else is Doritos, pizza rolls, tv dinners, prepackaged stuff, etc...not a lick of nutritional staples there.
Why is that any of your business? It's FOOD isn't it?

You sound jealous. Just because they're poor doesn't mean they can't have junk food to eat.

Again, MIND YOUR BUSINESS.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
How are you just going look in someone's trash like a big nosey jerk and say they how much money they have?

How do you know other relatives didn't buy those things?
Seriously?? Just how worthless and unforgettable does your life have to be where you can find the time to actually stare at someone else's trash like a jealous, miserable shrew witch?

My goodness. You can tell who's getting sex and who isn't when you read things like this.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I currently serve in the Reserve Armed Forces, but I tell you what: I hope to never get injured or crippled on behalf of this country. The utter selfishness of the people here is downright deplorable.

I can't even summon up the nerve to convince anyone to join the reserves.

Because I know they will laugh in my face and point out to me the mistreatment that not only the Vietnam-vets have dealt with, but the lousy treatment the OIF/OEF/OND vets who have been maimed are currently putting up with.

This culturally embedded lack of sympathy/empathy towards our fellow man will cripple this country in the long run if it ever comes face-to-face with a true national emergency. Because no one will want to sacrifice for it.

And that may very well spell the end of the Great American Experiment.
It's amazing how the government's war on the poor and disenfranchised has worked on even the lowliest among us.

The only people who NEVER need government help are the people affiliated with the 1%.

I'm not understanding why people are more upset with the poor who are getting freaking crumbs, but not the billion dollar corporations getting hundred million dollar tax breaks. I hope people realize that the huge trillion dollar debt crisis was caused by the massive bailout to these same corporations sending our jobs overseas.

Where is the OUTRAGE towards THEM??

But NOOOOOOOOOO, you have nosy, no sex having old biddies staring at their next door neighbor's trash, because they actually envy someone getting assistance from the government.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It's amazing how the government's war on the poor and disenfranchised has worked on even the lowliest among us.

The only people who NEVER need government help are the people affiliated with the 1%.

I'm not understanding why people are more upset with the poor who are getting freaking crumbs, but not the billion dollar corporations getting hundred million dollar tax breaks. I hope people realize that the huge trillion dollar debt crisis was caused by the massive bailout to these same corporations sending our jobs overseas.

But NOOOOOOOOOO, you have nosy, no sex having old biddies staring at their next door neighbor's trash, because they actually envy someone getting assistance from the government.

Whaaaa! More handouts! Whaaaaa! Evil rich people! Whaaaa!

Pathetic.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM

492 posts, read 791,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

Pathetic.
Yeah, all the corporation deserve the tax breaks and bail-outs. Corporate welfare > any other, right GT?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

Pathetic.
Shouldn't you be going out hunting somewhere?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
How about stop having children they can't afford? Think about how many world problems would be solved by not having children unless you can afford it. Children don't want to grow up in abject poverty anyway.
how do you plan to have them do that when they can't afford birth control?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
how do you plan to have them do that when they can't afford birth control?
You must be bored.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Actually I would say that the 1% needs big government just as much as anyone else, if not more so.

The only reason this country has a strong central government is because of the efforts of founding fathers like James Madison. He strongly argued for a strong central government that protected wealthy property owners in Federalist Paper No. 10.

This is what the 1% need government for:

1. Patent/Copyright/trademark protection- especially in trade agreements with foreign nations like China, the top country in the world for knockoffs and other egregious examples of intellectual property theft

2. U.S.Military- Oil companies need our military to keep the brown people of the 3rd world in check(yeah I said it, tell the truth shame the devil)

3. FDA and Local government Food Safety inspection agencies- Rich people need to eat good safe food just like anyone else

4. Bankruptcy protection by U.S. Court system- I don't care what people say, bankruptcy is nothing more than socialized & subsidized failure at operating a business; recently the Hostess company took advantage of this rather than even making the faintest of efforts to turn around the company and introduce *gasp*new products!

5. National HTSA- You think rich people want to have their cars falling apart on them and killing them? Heck no!

6. FAA- Rich people love flying to far-flung luxurious places like the Cayman Islands; at least they don't have to worry about colliding with another jet in the sky while flying to their island homes.

7. State/Public Universities, Public Colleges, and Public Technical Institutes- rich people need well-trained young people to work for them. No workers, no business; simple as that.

8. Police/Firefighter/EMS- everyone needs this service no matter what; rich people are not the exception to the rule, no matter how deluded they are in thinking that they are self-important and far-removed from the everyday trials & tribulations of lower-class folk

I really do think that that a lot of my fellow Americans are as dumb as a box of rocks. Heck, I go as far to say that they are dangerously ignorant. I also think that we have far too many deranged lunatics who are wealthy who are incapable of seeing the big picture like the Koch Brothers & the Walton family.

They think that America exists because of them, when it is the other way around. They exist because of America. I simple wish that we common folk could elect a better class of politicians that will remind these wealthy morons of this reality.

Because it doesn't serve the health of our nation in the long run to have people using their extreme wealth to push propaganda that encourages a parasitic pathogenic mindset of exploitation without conservation for the future. And that is exactly what I see with far too many of these posters on this thread, who apparently took the bait hook, line, and sinker.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-31-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: