Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,298,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Yeah I'll agree with that, and I'm White...

I can tell you we've gone to Fox Sports Grille several times after Tech games and it's 90% Black. No problems at all and we really don't care...........but they do make you pay a certain amount per hour, regardless of if you order or not(aka it's heavily black populated and the establishment doesn't feel Blacks are buying enough alcohol/food)

Take it for what it is,note: I'll probably get cencored again b/c this is what y'all refer to as racist but it's the truth.....bars/clubs have been doing this for years. Once the Blacks move into a club the consumption goes down, the club closes, re-brands itself and opens back up to get the White crowd.....

Atlantic Station is the new Buckhead, i.e. for years it was White, then the Blacks started to move in, turned into Freak-Nik, Whites got uncomfortable and left. Club couldn't sell boos so they would close, rename, reopen and cater to the Whites.....

This is not racist, Blacks don't buy near the amount of alcohol as Whites, and it may be b/c of population numbers but you wouldn't know it at a club, and if it was, it's still a private business and they want to make money

Hell, the DJ's on 103 (supposidly) complain about Whites vs Blacks at Visions...why b/c the club charged and extra $10 for black night than white. It's b/c the Whites buy more alcohol, plain and simple for a business.

.....go ahead, I'm now ready for the racist label!!!
Actually, gt6974a, (Georgia Tech alumnus/nae? I'm a Georgia Tech alumnus myself...I was gt6368a...It's amazing that I still remember after all of these years!)...anyway...what you are saying is not racist at all.

In terms of partying, alcohol is less a part of most blacks' partying "menu". Whites (in general, people!) usually consume more alcohol in party/going-out situations.

Dancing/socializing is more a part of African-American partying culture (similar to Latino culture and Mediterranean culture) than mainstream White American culture.

A related thread...a lot of people don't know this...black teenagers (and latino, and asian!) consume much less alcohol and do less drugs than white teenagers.

gt6974a, so what you said was not racist...if you were really qualifying from a neutral point of view. Racist undertones stem from how one conveys the idea (or the true meaning behind their phrases/thoughts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 31,914 times
As a young, white male would you recommend Atlantic Station as a place to relocate to? I just graduated from college in Florida. My ideal environment is a place inhabited by other young professionals (race is irrelevant). My only stipulation is that I do NOT want to live in an area that is a constant hangout for high schoolers or uneducated 20's individuals. I've also considered the Perimeter area. I'm sure there are some areas I do not know about. I do not want to go any further north on 400 as I am working off of 75. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,233,600 times
If 1200/mo is in your budget I think it might be a fun place for someone your age.

However, I go to the cinema there a lot and there are a LOT of kids hanging out there - high school and older. I don't know about the residential sections (I know - some are mixed in with the commerce, but some aren't).

Also, look on craigslist. If a big corporate apartment isn't your only option you can usually rent out apartments in duplexes and triplexes, and even sometimes little row houses for around 1100/mo, especially in Cabbagetown.

From this forum I hear a lot of young singles talking about Vinings and Smyrna but I can't speak for those areas.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 20,160 times
I just moved to Atlantic Station in October and moved from Virginia without visiting. It seems to be a pretty safe area so far. We live in the Art Foundry building which is very secure. You have to use your key fob before entering the building. There seems to be a range in age. I am 24 and my boyfriend 32 and neither of us feel out of place. It is very convenient to all of the shops across the street. There is also a free shuttle that will take you around Atlantic Station as well as to the Marta Station. At night sometimes there seems to be a rougher crowd hanging around the movie theatre and shops. I would just recommend taking the shuttle at these times. We rent a 2 bedroom/1 bath condo for $1395/month at the Art Foundry. Very reasonable for the location! There are also some great restaurants in the area, if not in Atlantic Station then only minutes away! Good luck with your move and let me know if you have any further questions as I just moved to GA too!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 PM

98 posts, read 469,962 times
The thuggish/pimpin' crown usually moves on to somewhere else after a few years, so don't use that hang-up as a basis for long term living decisions. There's very little cruising space since most of the driving/parking is underground.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:56 PM

663 posts, read 1,856,576 times
You are right about whites consuming alcohol more than blacks in social situations - that is entirely true.

And guess what - whites need the alcohol to loosen up and be able to dance and be more social. Blacks are naturally smoother and don't need the liquor to achieve these qualities. Whether you all like it or not, this is also entirely true.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,271,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
You are right about whites consuming alcohol more than blacks in social situations - that is entirely true.

And guess what - whites need the alcohol to loosen up and be able to dance and be more social. Blacks are naturally smoother and don't need the liquor to achieve these qualities. Whether you all like it or not, this is also entirely true.
So does this mean the long standing rumor that there's a "rhythm gene" that blacks have and whites don't is true? I mean, if you're saying that we need alcohol to get loose and social and blacks don't, there must be some truth to the rumor since it's got to be a physiological issue.

Try painting with a smaller brush........

Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 AM

109 posts, read 484,111 times
I'm really amazed at how such a simple question can become a such a big issue.

Atlantic Station is a manufactured "Sex in the City" vibe. They took Manhattan and shrunk it down into an area about 1 square mile. Its a great idea and seems to be very popular. I think young professionals will enjoy it a little more than families, but I can see potential for a more family oriented scenario as well.

As for crime, the area that Atlantic Station is built on was an industrial area and as you can imagine the housing in those types of areas doesn't tend to be upscale. There are still areas surrounding AS that are in transition and being rebuilt/remodeled. Break ins will be an issue in that area as long as there are terrace apartments with glass doors facing the street that aren't being protected.

All that said, AS is a great development with many, many, many housing options. I am actually considering a condo in that area myself (among several other options).

Old 01-23-2008, 07:15 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,899,183 times
Default Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta View Post
The thuggish/pimpin' crown usually moves on to somewhere else after a few years, so don't use that hang-up as a basis for long term living decisions. There's very little cruising space since most of the driving/parking is underground.
And where do the frat boy/girl/throwing up in parking lots/falling out in the streets/getting carried out of clubs and mooning crowd usually hang out now?

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-23-2008 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 AM

109 posts, read 484,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
And where does the frat boy/girl/throwing up in parking lots/falling out in the streets/getting carried out of clubs and mooning crowd usually end up after a few years?
In the Senate???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta